walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag: 3 Corbetts, 2 Heavy Packs & 1 bout of Vertigo

Quinag: 3 Corbetts, 2 Heavy Packs & 1 bout of Vertigo

Postby Highart13 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 18/04/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

More glorious weather was forecast for the north-west Highlands last weekend, and with the intention of searching out a good hillwalking / wildcamping combo, my walking buddy Fiona and I scoured the Walkhighlands walk reports for Assynt (where our last two outings have also been based).

Assynt offers so much to amateur hillwalkers like us, looking for remote and rugged camping spots with stunning views and a not-too-challenging climb as we build up our experience, fitness and confidence levels :clap:

An early start on Saturday made for a quiet drive up to Quinag from Beauly with two excited and boisterous collies in the back of the car, along with two enormous packs containing camping and cooking gear :lol:

We chose Quinag because: a) we could achieve three summits with one walk, b) we both love Assynt, c) I'm a keen photographer and I knew the weather would afford some incredible views and Spring Highland colours, and d) we're not very experienced hillwalkers and - how hard could it be??? :shock:

1a.jpg

Setting off from the roadside information board (the area is owned and managed by the John Muir Trust who have done incredible work here), the path soon forks at the cairn marker and fields upward climbers off to the left to meet the foot of the gentle incline up the hillside towards the first of the three Corbetts, Spidean Coinich :thumbup:

You really don't have to walk very far before the incredible views start to unravel behind you. In fact, in this weather it was all I could do to focus on the path ahead for stopping to gaze out across Assynt 8)

2b.jpg

The geology here is quite amazing and the ascent gives good going underfoot on big, hefty, wide, flat boulders which make it easy to grip and climb without too much of a problem. The boulders give way to smaller, more uneven rocks as the summit gets closer.

3c.jpg

At around 600m there is a brief respite as the ascent levels out and then dips down into a wee rocky bealach with a sparkling lochan, providing a cool watering hole for the dogs and a good place to rest your bones before the final push up the steep hillside to the Spidean Coinich summit at 764m.

4d.jpg

For a hill with Corbett status, Spidean Coinich is a really impressive peak giving staggering views - down to Loch Assynt, over to Edrachillis Bay, along to the Summer Isles, up to Kylesku and across to Suilven and Canisp - to name just a few of the iconic Assynt landmarks clearly visible from Quinag :clap:

By this time, Fiona was having one or two concerns about the fact that we hadn't carried out a huge amount of research about this walk, and it was becoming clear that some aspects of the route - such as the views off the edges, steep drops and general exposure - were challenging her fear of heights. in fact, I hadn't realised the fear had been gradually bubbling up quite to the degree it had been :sick: :shh: :oops: :think: As a long-time sufferer of an occasionally debilitating fear of heights, I had been coping quite well - however as soon as I became aware that my walking buddy was about to experience a small meltdown, I switched into total control-freak 'coping mode' and started providing Fiona with what must have been an extremely irritating running commentary of the walk, one footstep at a time :roll: :lol: I assumed this would prove to be incredibly helpful :roll:

5e.jpg

After quite a few minutes of me lapping up the views, soaking up the sunshine, taking a few lugs on some cold water and Fiona stoically trying to control an overwhelming urge to allow a full-scale panic to take hold, our attention turned to the next part of the walk - what can only be described as a leap of faith off the corner of the Spidean Coinich summit onto a thin, rocky, slippery 'path' which winds down the cliffedge in a brief but steep descent to a flat plateau - a lovely grassy suntrap 8) :lol:

6f.jpg

This is a perfect spot to recover from wobbly legs, the uncontrollable sweats and associated vertigo nausea, at which time I tried to describe the stunning views to Fiona without using expressions like "wow look how TINY everything looks".... :shock:

From here, the view back towards the Spidean Coinich summit does look very impressive, and we both enjoyed a brief moment of pride and gloating about how lucky we are to live so near here and how jolly well we were doing :clap:

7g.jpg

OK so this really is where the walk turned - from a challenging Corbett round which led us both to encounter and face issues with vertigo, carrying improbably heavy 80l packs on wobbly, inexperienced mountain legs - into an almost-hysterical and desperate scramble to find a quick way off the hill and down to the safety of the loch below (Lochan Bealach Cornaidh) which had already been identified as a good camp spot (if we could avoid the bogs which are protected by the John Muir Trust) :shock: :think: The very reason for lugging the packs over the Corbetts was to avoid the protected boggy path we would need to use to ascend to the loch in order to pitch our home for the night before the walk :crazy:

8h.jpg

Inch by inch, teetering between slippery rocky pathways, jutting boulders and areas of steep descents giving way to horrifyingly impressive open views where miniscule vehicles travel along the A837 glinting in the sunlight like tiny shiny ants , we made our way to the Bealach a'Chornaidh which is the 'junction' between the three Corbetts in this round. We had long since decided that one Corbett would be more than enough for today, thank you :clap: :cry: :oops:

9i.jpg

"Let's not speak of this to anyone", I said. "Ever".

On jelly legs we lurched awkwardly across the moorland to the edge of the loch where we managed to erect the tents and make a well-deserved cup of coffee while the sun set :clap:

10j.jpg

Sunrise makes everything better :lol:

11k2.jpg

The walk away from Quinag in the morning was full of highs and lows..... highs from the achievement of one hell of an impressive summit, the conquering of so many fears, the sheer exertion of carrying enormous hefty packs with us up and over Spidean Coinich and bearing witness to such a beautiful sunset and sunrise. The lows were to have never reached the other two summits on this trip and the feeling of having been defeated by such an iconic group of hills.

Next time for sure - without the bags, with a lot more knowledge and a little less fear - we will do this thing :clap: :wink:

12l.jpg

We are refusing to dwell on the failure to summit Sail Gharbh and Sail Gorm, instead we are reminding ourselves that often, we just don't give ourselves enough credit :wink:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Re: Quinag: 3 Corbetts, 2 Heavy Packs & 1 bout of Vertigo

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 pm

That was a brilliant read, made me smile...and empathise. 80l is some size of bag for a summit camp :shock: :lol: Think that may have impacted on the impending panic attacks due to trying to keep balanced.

Some stunning photos of a wonderful area. I love Assynt, its my favourite place in Scotland, and your photos make me want to get up there again. I'll maybe do Quinag as not done it yet :wink:

I hope you drove up to Lochinver for a pie :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 am

Excellent read, brought back memories of last year when I did it at the WH Spring meet. Lovely photographs of a sensational area, but those rucksacks :crazy: :crazy: how heavy were they? for a day as warm as Saturday with little or no wind, you must have been melting :lol: :lol: I was up in the Cairngorms travelling as light as I could with loads of water being carried and also on tap up top. Experience is being gained after that :) Look forward to your next report :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Highart13 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 am

dooterbang wrote:That was a brilliant read, made me smile...and empathise. 80l is some size of bag for a summit camp :shock: :lol: Think that may have impacted on the impending panic attacks due to trying to keep balanced.

Some stunning photos of a wonderful area. I love Assynt, its my favourite place in Scotland, and your photos make me want to get up there again. I'll maybe do Quinag as not done it yet :wink:

I hope you drove up to Lochinver for a pie :)

:lol: Yes I think we were a tad over-ambitious :shock: Mind you, good experience and lessons learned...! The bags with full kit are an absolute no-no for next time :wink:

Indeed - straight to the pie shop in the morning :clap:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Postby Highart13 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:56 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Excellent read, brought back memories of last year when I did it at the WH Spring meet. Lovely photographs of a sensational area, but those rucksacks :crazy: :crazy: how heavy were they? for a day as warm as Saturday with little or no wind, you must have been melting :lol: :lol: I was up in the Cairngorms travelling as light as I could with loads of water being carried and also on tap up top. Experience is being gained after that :) Look forward to your next report :D

Just weighed my pack out of interest and it weighs approx.13kg including food, water and dog food :crazy:

We've been so lucky with the weather, long may it continue :clap:

Am quite happy to drink burn water if fast-flowing and loch water if boiled up :thumbup:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:52 am

Highart13 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Excellent read, brought back memories of last year when I did it at the WH Spring meet. Lovely photographs of a sensational area, but those rucksacks :crazy: :crazy: how heavy were they? for a day as warm as Saturday with little or no wind, you must have been melting :lol: :lol: I was up in the Cairngorms travelling as light as I could with loads of water being carried and also on tap up top. Experience is being gained after that :) Look forward to your next report :D

Just weighed my pack out of interest and it weighs approx.13kg including food, water and dog food :crazy:

Am quite happy to drink burn water if fast-flowing and loch water if boiled up :thumbup:

Wow! you must tell me your secret the last time I wild camped my pack was 22.5k when I walked into Loch Callater a few weeks ago, mind you that did include ice axe and crampons. My ultimate aim is around 15k, I wish :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Highart13 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 am

The Rodmiester wrote:
Highart13 wrote:

Wow! you must tell me your secret the last time I wild camped my pack was 22.5k when I walked into Loch Callater a few weeks ago, mind you that did include ice axe and crampons. My ultimate aim is around 15k, I wish :wink:

Wow that's quite a pack, but yes I guess it's always best to be prepared with the right gear.

I swapped out my single-berth tent for a bigger 2-man (due to sharing with wet collie!) this time, so that added 0.75kg. Otherwise I just have cookware, stove and gas, sleeping bag, mat and waterproof picnic fleece rug, thermals, light food (no tins), dry kibble for the dog, camera gear and a pint of milk for my coffee :clap: :lol: :wink:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:52 am

I'm now going to check your list with mine , on a spreadsheet of course, and see where I'm going wrong :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Superb :thumbup: Hope I get the same conditions when I get here :roll:
although I think I'd need to be carrying a smaller pack :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:38 pm

A great story with some amazing photos. What a wonderful place.

I've never seen the view from Quinag, unforunately, but my memory suggests you've now done the most scrambly and exposed of the 3 summits. Mind you, I wouldn't like to do any of them with a big heavy pack.

The Rodmiester wrote:Am quite happy to drink burn water if fast-flowing and loch water if boiled up :thumbup:

Wow! you must tell me your secret the last time I wild camped my pack was 22.5k when I walked into Loch Callater a few weeks ago, mind you that did include ice axe and crampons. My ultimate aim is around 15k, I wish :wink:[/quote]

Hmm. My bag going into Camasunary in March was 30kg. Including full winter gear, coal and, err, a guitar. I have now bought a "travel" guitar, which will make it 29kg next time ;)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Highart13 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:47 pm

rockhopper wrote:Superb :thumbup: Hope I get the same conditions when I get here :roll:
although I think I'd need to be carrying a smaller pack :wink: - cheers :)

I now suspect that you'd have to be mad to lug a pack like ours up and over Spidean Coinich :lol: :lol: Mind, there was a moment when we considered setting up camp in one of the bealachs but we decided against it on the basis that if we stopped, we'd never want to move :shock: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Postby Highart13 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Mal Grey wrote:A great story with some amazing photos. What a wonderful place.

I've never seen the view from Quinag, unforunately, but my memory suggests you've now done the most scrambly and exposed of the 3 summits. Mind you, I wouldn't like to do any of them with a big heavy pack.

Hmm. My bag going into Camasunary in March was 30kg. Including full winter gear, coal and, err, a guitar. I have now bought a "travel" guitar, which will make it 29kg next time ;)

Well I do wonder if a wee singalong might have taken Fiona's mind off her vertigo and associated panic :lol: I shall remind her to bring her guitar next time, just in case :clap:

Good job you got that travel guitar, you can now use the 1kg you saved on beer :clap: :lol:
Highart13
Mountaineer

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Reading your report has put this one firmly on my 'to do soon' list - although preferably without the big packs! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Nice one, cracking pictures. Glad all ended well and did not dampen your enthusiasm. Cheers K
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland