walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - report five and a half years late

Ben Lomond - report five and a half years late

Postby teaandpies » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 12/09/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 974m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Lomond has a reputation for being a tourist hill, a townie hill, a hill for casuals and you'll find a lot of hardcore walkers hate it for this reason however this is something that doesn't wash with me. I feel it's important for people to be able to enjoy our landscape, it's important for people to get a gimps of how amazing out land is and why it's so special. How many of you got into hill walking after walking Ben Lomond? I bet it's a high percentage.

I think everybody has the right to enjoy the land like we do and if Ben Lomond, Ben Nevis and the Cairngorm mountain have to take one for the team that's something I can live with.
If you are reading this before you do your walk up Ben Lomond all I'd like to ask of you is please take your rubbish of the hill with you.

Ben Lomond was the my second Munro, I joined a friend who was doing his second round as a Munro bagger but his first in the digital age. He had been saving this hill for clear warm day because his father was also going to join him on the walk.
Sill being a hill walking newbie I still didn't have the right equipment and clothing for hill walking and this is something I would regret during this walk. More on that later.

The walk begins on the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, there's a car park, a toilet block and a picnic area so this should give you an idea of how busy this hill is.

1.JPG
View from the car park

2.JPG
Robin

3.JPG
The woods

From the car park there is a very obvious path and if you don't spot it follow the crowd, the path is firm and well worn and takes you up through a wooded section at first. It's easy going and fairly pleasant as there's plenty of bird life chirping away but it's not to long before you get to a section where the trees have been cleared. Grey weather worn branches and stumps, they always remind me of elephant graveyards. I hate these clearings however they do allow for some nice early views up Loch Lomond so it's not all bad. Keep walking and another short while you'll be out of this section and onto the hill proper and is all up hill, not that steep but the path is very rocky and uneven so at times you do have to think about your feet placement, it's not like this all the way up. I actually tripped up a couple of times trying to speak the person next to me and while looking at the views.

4.JPG
Views from above the woods

5.JPG
The Ptarmigan?

6.JPG
View looking up Ben Lomond

7.JPG
The Cobbler

8.JPG
Looking up the loch

9 (690x518).jpg
Loch Lomond sea plane, would love to see the land from up there.

10.JPG
Sea plane and Coire nan Each

As one of party was a pensioner we were walking at a gentle pace, the sun was intense but made sure to stop often and take on water. To be totally honest I just wanted to steam ahead but we had a rule for our walks and that was only to walk at fast as the slowest man which was fair enough. I was a guest on their walk so I couldn't just leave them to it.
I was a little disappointed we weren't doing the loop route but I understand it wouldn't have been fair to ask somebody to walk the extra distance in that heat.

The walk is so basic that I can't really give you much advice on it, just follow the path up and down. Obviously doing this hill in winter or in heavy fog it would be a different story but you should know not to apply a summer walk report to winter conditions

I found myself always looking back at the path just walked.

11.JPG
It feels really far when you see the path like this

12.JPG
Looking down the path

13.JPG
The rocks that make Ben Lomond mica schist, quartzite, granite and diorite.

14.JPG
Looking back down at the path just walked

15.JPG
Big Foot?

16.JPG
Loch Ard

The top of the mountain is really amazing, big cliff drop, amazing 360 views. We spent a lot of time on top of the hill, it was cool but sunny and we stopped for a spot of lunch but got talking to other people that were on the summit. I even found myself becoming an unofficial photographer as I must have had about10 different parties asking me to take their pictures at the trigpoint. I didn't mind, I was happy to do it.
A party of woman that had made the summit and cracked open a bottle of champagne to celebrate doing there first Munro were a lot of fun and in good sprits.

17.JPG
Queen Elizabeth Forrest Park

18.JPG
Looking to the Arrochar Alps

19.JPG
Glen Dubh

20.JPG
Looking down Loch Lomond

21.JPG

22.JPG
Approach to the summit

23.JPG
Busy summit

24.JPG
Enthusiastic photographer

25.JPG
Trigpoint and the Arrochar Alps

I said I wore the wrong gear for the walk but my clothing wasn't the only thing I got wrong that day.
I wore a cotton t-shirt, vest and boxer shorts. The sweat was held in my cloths and wouldn't dry fast enough and I spent more of the walk very uncomfortable but the worst thing was the chafing in-between my legs. Big mistake wearing cotton boxers and one I've not made since.
I failed to bring sun cream and was badly burnt on my arms, face, neck ears and scalp. I failed to bring a hat or sunglasses which left me with a 2 day headache.
The food I took was all dry and crunchy stuff which just made me thirstier.

I learned a lot from this walk, a hell of a lot.

Walked with Martin and his father Bill
teaandpies
Munro compleatist

Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6

Re: Ben Lomond - report five and a half years late

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 am

Great hill. Busy when I was there but I was alone in cutting off the main path to take in the view across the east facing corrie to the summit.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:111   Corbetts:57
Grahams:26   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Ben Lomond - report five and a half years late

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:31 pm

It is a fine mountain. When you've been on some remote, lonely summits in mist, wind and rain, it can make a nice change to chat with people on a popular hill on a sunny day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:156
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland