walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe Bagpiped - Returning to action after winter

Beinn Bhuidhe Bagpiped - Returning to action after winter

Postby munrobagpiper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 19/03/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, winter came, and for many of us, it conquered!. Rain, wind, snow, hail, you name it, we got it over the past few months. I saw some people braving the elements, and hitting summits no matter what, but for me, it meant lower level activities.

Since hitting my elusive 50th Munro, I had grown frustrated at being stuck on this number. Month after month passed, the odd nice day also, with me working and unable to hit the hills. The opportunity arose for today, but my mother was visiting, so time was tight! Where can I go? I decided Beinn Buidhe was the one for today, cycling in, climbing, and cycling out.

WH9.jpg
The end of the cycle and start of the climb

I discovered my brakes were rubbing badly on my bike, which made what should have been a pleasant cycle, a lot tougher. I also discovered I didn't have my lock, so I left my bike, in the good faith that no one would "borrow" it.

The first part of the climb was tough on my winter softened legs, but views back down the glen were making enjoyable spots for water breaks.

WH8.jpg
Quickly getting views

It wasn't long before things started to get interesting ahead, with the water fall coming into view.

WH4.jpg
Views really opened up

It was not long after here that things got tougher. With the arrival of a couple of snow banks, pace slowed, and energy waned. I was however, looking forward to coming down the same bits :-).

As I got past the snow, I couldn't believe my ears, then eyes, when I saw a DIGGER , building a road!! What!?! Can't stand the thought of the hills, our wild land, having roads and buildings built through it. Not sure what is getting built exactly, but it sure ruined the experience of being out.

This possibly through me a bit, as I then lost the route, trying to avoid the works, and soon found myself up the wrong section of the hill. Fortunately, I was able to see some tracks in the distance, and so was able to correct myself without too much fuss.

It was now the final steep slog, and the views were beginning to look spectacular (despite the digger)

WH3.jpg
Starting to be worth the slog

With one final bit of snow to negotiate, the end was very much in sight

WH2.jpg
Final stretch of snow

Then what can you say about the view from the summit?!

WH5.jpg
All worth while

If not the music at the summit :-)

WHpipe.jpg
Piping on the summit

All in all, a good return to the hills, great to be back, and looking forward to the summer's adventures!
Attachments
WH7.jpg
Was an enjoyable climb at this stage
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:3

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe Bagpiped - Returning to action after winte

Postby larry groo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Grand....

Welcome back to the hills!!

:lol:
larry groo

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe Bagpiped - Returning to action after winte

Postby chriselligott » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Was up Beinn Bhuidhe this week and found the much maligned new hydro track. Having ascended by the usual route (tarmac/bog/steepness!), I used the track for the descent. In fact, ugly though it is, it is an excellent and much gentler and quicker way down, missing out all of the tedious tarmac and giving great views down Loch Fyne and over to the Arrochar hills. I cut straight down from the summit to the track and then followed it south. It reaches Glen Fyne at the quarry site, barely one kilometre from the car park. It would be a tedious way up but I suggest that an excellent round can now be made by ascending by the traditional route and descending down the new track.
Chris L
chriselligott
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland