walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnean nan Gobhar - on its own, alas!

Binnean nan Gobhar - on its own, alas!

Postby rob munbett » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:59 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Binnean nan Gobhar

Date walked: 23/04/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a beautiful sunny spring day and the Gobhar/Uird circuit from Cashel seemed a perfect route for such a day. In retrospect, perhaps I was a bit ambitious, given that I've been nursing a suspect calf muscle lately and, as I was to find out, this injury gets 'found out' on the rough ground of hills like these. Anyway, I parked at Cashel (£2 in the box) and set off up the excellent 'green trail' to reach Queen's View in about 25 minutes.
P1020706.JPG
Looking back down on Cashel and Loch Lomond
Just past QV, the road leads into the forest though a red gate.
P1020710.JPG
The red gate and the road into the forest
I followed this road, turning right up an older looking trail at a large turning circle and eventually came out on to the rough hillside through another gate.
P1020720.JPG
Coming out of the forest on to the rough hillside. My route was up the left-hand grassy gully.
I managed to follow some very rough, squelchy vehicle tracks for quite a bit of the way but eventually I had to plough through some pretty horrible large ball-shaped tussocks lurking under knee-high clingy heather. Just lovely!
P1020713.JPG
Ascending the unnamed (but well-cairned) south top
I could see the trig pillar on Beinn Bhreac off to my right but I decided to climb to the cairn on the unnamed south top. From here I could sit and look across to the summit of Binnean nan Gobhar.
P1020716.JPG
Looking over to the summit of Binnean nan Gobhar
From here it was a short distance and short climb to the summit cairn at 586m.
P1020717.JPG
The summit of Binnean nan Gobhar with Beinn Uird and Ben Lomond beyond
Unfortunately, by this time my calf muscle was causing quite a bit of pain and there was some rough ground to negotiate even if I just made my descent from here, never mind the trek across to Uird, so reluctantly, I had to head back down. I didn't want to cause so much damage that I'd be out of the game for some time. Where did I suddenly develop this good sense? I enjoyed what I did, though, and Uird will still be there another day, by another route probably.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:90   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland