walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Uchdag

Creag Uchdag

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Uchdag

Date walked: 23/04/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 680m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Drove from Comrie up the wee roadie, still in sunshine ready to re-aquaint myself with an old memory. Whilst a student at college, I'd been placed for my industrial training with the Hydro Board - as it was called then back in 1973.
One day, Bill Procter, my tutor took me over to Lednock power station to check some equipment, surprising Roger Twigg, the local Hydro electrician, who in the middle of no-where, was up to his armpits in brushgear an a' that !

I was going to ignore the SMC guidance and take the road on the SW side of the loch to the power station.
For a change, it was a good plan, as the road is tarmac'd all the way to the power station.
Anyway when I arrived at Coshavachan, there was a notice tell me to park there. Och well, it wasn't a hash to bike the extra half mile or so. Armed with a new chain on my bike, I headed off up the wee side glen, trying not to disturb the ewes still to lamb. Near the top o the wee glen the road doubles back over the ridge and descends alongside Loch Lednock. I'd forgotten that the power station was at the end of the loch, but it looked just the same as it did in '73.

Lednock PS.jpg
Lednock Power Station

Lednock Power Station.jpg
Lednock Intake pipe & stn

I hid my bike by the intake as I'd forgotten to take my pannier with the lock in it - neep !
Soon I'd crossed the burn and followed a quad track up the hill. It started to bear left, so I struck out right towards the main burn running down from the SE bealach of Creag Uchdag. It was fairly easy walking as it hadn't rained for a few days.
When breasting a rise I came across a ewe with lamb a few days old . When the lamb saw me, it came traipsing across, thinking I was someone friendly, while all the time I was thinking "lamb chops" ! Once its mum moved off it realised its mistake and scuttled off after her.
Further up the hill there were these flowers bursting out in bloom to take full advantage of this spring warmth - before the next snowfall. As I took a closer look at it, I spotted a fly supping up its nectar. Worth a photie! Of course the fly had buzzed off by the time I'd got my camera out !

A wee floor on Creag Uchdag.jpg
A wee floor on Creag Uchdag

On reaching the bealach a path led up to the summit past plenty of spring snow.

Loch Lednock.jpg
Loch Lednock from Creag Uchdag

The views from the top were a repeat of the previous two day from a slightly different angle, so I reviewed the previous days walks at leisure sat on a conveniently placed piece of quartz by the trig station. As Greig Wallace says on Masterchef - "it doesn't get any better" !

Creag Uchdag trig Pt with Lawers group behind.jpg
Creag Uchdag trig pt. with Lawers group backdrop

The descent was almost uneventful until near the bottom of the slope opposite the power station I had the classic both feet up in the air slip, landing on my back. Fortunately the ground was soft so the winding was short lived.
Back at the power station the bike was retrieved, disturbing a snipe, then on checking my GPS track it showed that I'd just walked across the end of the loch. That's when I realised that the OS must show the lochs at max water level. ( I'm a slow learner ).
Somehow I managed to get back to the car without breaking the bike chain, passing another shepherd checking his flock.
The drive back to Aberdeen was punctuated by a McDonalds at Dundee to skite the hunger aff.

A fantastic three days on the hill to an area I had only seen by moonlight as we'd done Ben Chonzie at night on the way to somewhere else, with Derek Bottomer, one winter in the past.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland