walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Raise - White Side - Brown Crag

Raise - White Side - Brown Crag

Postby trailmasher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Raise, White Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Raise, White Side

Date walked: 14/04/2015

Time taken: 3.45

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 897m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stanah-Raise-White Side-Brown Crag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This is my first walk since I went onto Fairfield on the 10th April which was the day that I was feeling not too good. I feel better today, not sparkling but better than I did then. Elizabeth went with me and as she also has been under the weather it proved to be a bit of a mission for her.
Anyway, Elizabeth and I set off from the car park at Stanah - Legburthwaite - and headed up the short farm track to reach the wall stile which would take us on to Sticks Pass.
1-Stile over the  wall leading to Sticks Pass from Stanah.JPG
Wall stile leading to Sticks Pass.

The weather was not too bad, cool, breezy and cloudy but clear enough. From the fell side the hamlet of Legburthwaite or Stanah? lay beneath us and opposite Great How.
2-The hamlet of Stanah and the wooded Great How.JPG
The hamlet of Stanah and the wooded Great How.

The start of Sticks Pass is steep and mostly on grass and only eases off after a climb of 320 metres - 1,050 feet - and once the rebuilt sheepfold at 486 metres has been reached.
3-The rebuilt sheepfold above White Crags.JPG
The rebuilt sheepfold above White Crags.

At about 600 metres and as we began to pass through the rocky stretch of the path the mist came down and the wind had started to get stronger which now made for a cold day.

We were both struggling a bit from the left over's of our flu like symptoms but E more so than I. Even though she was well clad she was beginning to feel the cold. We found shelter in the lee of the rocks and had a warm drink and where I asked her if she wanted to turn back. She declined and wanted to continue onwards and upwards.

The mist got thicker and nearly feels like drizzle whilst the wind got stronger. These conditions and the fact that E had got cold hands whilst having a break was making it more difficult for her but she still maintained that she was alright to continue. I exchanged my fleece lined gloves for her mittens which are also lined but to be honest I could feel the cold of the wind through them. She has a better pair at home but forgot to pick them up.

Maybe she was feeling it because she was run down from the flu because she has never had this problem before. Anyway off we set again and after a few metres of toil she was getting warmed up thank goodness. The mist was well down when we reached the top of the pass at 750 metres and where we turned south on the main drag to reach Raise.
5-Mist on the high fells.JPG
Mist on the high fells.

As we started to ascend Raise a chap came skidding and sliding down on his mountain bike kicking stones and dirt everywhere. Now I'm not against the mountain bike fraternity as they work hard at their sport/pastime but one can see how the paths are getting progressively more eroded by some of these activities. I've even seen a few making their way down becks and gills, why?
There's nothing more disconcerting than climbing a path in mist and not being able to see the top of the hill and wondering when you will reach it. Passing over Raise we now made our way through the thickening mist to reach and get over White Side…
4-Cairns leading the way to White Side.JPG
Cairns leading the way to White Side.

and once getting to the col between there and Little Man we would bear in a north westerly direction passing under Whiteside Bank on the path to Brown Crag.
It is now an easy stroll along the path which drops steadily in altitude and brings us out of the mist after not too long. Stopping for a break and refreshments in a dried up gully we can now see where we are going and Brown Crag is not too far away with some decent views becoming available.
6-Thirlmere-High Tove-High Seat beyond.JPG
Thirlmere - High Tove - High Seat beyond.

7-Skiddaw covered in mist.JPG
Skiddaw in mist.

8-Brown Crag.JPG
Brown Crag.

The path is a little bit wet just before it starts the easy climb up to Brown Crag top but all in all not been bad for its full length from White Side.
Reaching the top of Brown Crag we see that the scene has opened up with the mist hanging over the high fells but is quite bright over St. John's in the Vale, High Rigg, Thirlmere, High Tove and beyond.
9-Elizabeth conquering Brown Crag.JPG
Elizabeth conquering Brown Crag.

10-Raise in mist looking from Brown Crag.JPG
Raise in mist looking from Brown Crag.

11-High Rigg and Skiddaw under mist.JPG
High Rigg and Skiddaw under mist.

12-Raise and White Side from Brown Crag top.JPG
Raise and White Side from Brown Crag.

13-Raven Crag-Round How-High Rigg from Brown Crag.JPG
Raven Crag - Round How - High Rigg from Brown Crag.

20-Thirlmere panorama.JPG
Thirlmere panorama.

14-Brown Crag summit.JPG
Brown Crag summit.

15-Sticks Pass ridge route.JPG
Sticks Pass ridge route.

16-Brown Crag face on.JPG
Brown Crag face on.

Leaving Brown Crag we continued in the same north westerly direction until turning west and dropping quickly through a new plantation of young oak, beech, birch, larch, etc trees until we reached the intake wall between Thirlspot Farm and Fisher Place.
17-Waterfalls on Fisherplace Gill.JPG
Waterfalls on Fisherplace Gill.

18-The lower reaches of Fisherplace Gill.JPG
The lower reaches of Fisherplace Gill.

From here we simply followed the wall back to Sty Beck Falls and our starting point at Stanah.
19-Contented family.JPG
Contented family.
trailmasher
Walker

Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland