walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three do Three with two.

Three do Three with two.

Postby martin.h » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 19/04/2015

Time taken: 9.75 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1644m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the fourth and final day of our long weekend in Perth and to have three good days on the trot is rare, to have four is an exception, but here we were, day four and an excellent forecast.
I had been in touch with Matthew (Beaner001) prior to our trip to see if he'd fancy a day out with us, We'd met on Gleouraich last May intending to do the two munros there, made a mutual error and never got to Spidean Mialach, we'd promised a get together ever since, he was free so the meet up was arranged.
Matthew, Denise and I hadn't done the three Crianlarich munros, An Caisteal, Beinn a' chroin and Beinn Chabhair so we thought these were an ideal excuse for us to meet up and have a good day out.
Matthew came down from Aberdeen and met us at our digs at the Travelodge at Broxden Roundabout, we set off and arrived at the big layby on the A82 just outside Crianlarich.
DSC00232.JPG
Ready for the off

The morning was excellent, sunny, warm and still. We set off towards the rail underpass and due to hydro works nearby the walk over marshy ground had been diverted directly towards the underpass with hardcore layed down so now its dry and easy to walk on.
The walk up Sron Gharbh wasn't too bad,
DSC00234.JPG
Beinn Chabhair from the slopes of Sron Gharbh

We found a faint path and followed it up and it arrived on the good path heading up Twistin Hill. From here on the walking was a delight with castle in view more or less all the way.
DSC00236.JPG
Castle in the sky

DSC00237.JPG

Matthew's Springers, Roy and Lochy kept racing ahead showing us the way, waiting, then shooting off again whenever we got near, I wish I could bottle that energy, I'd make a fortune.
We arrived at the summit and the views, well, four days on the bounce and every day we've had views like this, fantastic.
DSC00239.JPG
Matt and Denise on summit no 1, An Caisteal

DSC00240.JPG
Me and Denise on't summit

We started off down from An Caisteal towards Bealach Buidhe, a bit loose in parts but easy enough and then followed the path up to the right of the main crags on the start up Beinn a' Chroin.
From the bealach we looked for any signs of a path leading to Beinn Chabhair but no, its a case of finding your own way over.
DSC00243.JPG
A soggy Roy at play in the Bealach

DSC00246.JPG
Lochy looking for something

A little higher up there's a tricky rocky step to go over, Matthew and the dogs were up and over in a breath, me and Denise a little slower due to knackered body (me) and short legs (Denise).
After this we were soon at what I thought was the true summit of Beinn ' Chroin but we decided to go to the eastern summit as well just in case and that was a wee bit further than it looked.
DSC00247.JPG
Ben More left, Cruach Ardrain middle, Stob Binnein right from the first summit ofBeinn a' Chroin.

DSC00249.JPG
Over to the eastern summit

DSC00252.JPG
On the second summit.

DSC00251.JPG
Summit dogs

DSC00253.JPG
An Caisteal from Beinn a' Chroin

DSC00255.JPG
Denise and I on Beinn a' Chroin

After a while on the summit we retraced our steps back to Bealach Bhuide, we had that awkward rocky step to reverse but on arrival found it a lot easier in going down than coming up.
From the bealach we headed more or less directly down and did find traces of a path, we sat a while near one of the little lochans at point 619m on the map
DSC00257.JPG
Beinn a' Chroin from the little lochan

DSC00258.JPG
You don't need a GPS Dad, we just follow our noses

and then headed directly uphill towards the summit being careful to pick a way around the numerous rocky outcrops on the way up. When we arrived at the top of the slope we were only a very short distance from the summit cairn, probably only 10m or so, so that was lucky.
So we'd arrived at the top of munro No 3 for today and No 9 for the weekend, there was a bit more cloud around on this summit but the views were still superb.
DSC00260.JPG
Matthew and Denise on the summit of Beinn Chabhair

DSC00262.JPG
Denise and I on the days third munro and our 9th after four brilliant days.

DSC00263.JPG
An Caisteal

DSC00265.JPG

DSC00264.JPG
Ben Lui, zoomed

We stayed at the summit looking at where we'd been and then left it and started the long walk back.
DSC00266.JPG
Looking back to the summit from the descent path

We could see the new track that has been bulldozed for the hydro works and headed for that, once on it the walk back was a bit of a trudge. Near the road we decided to pick up the West Highland Way and followed that for the majority of the way back to the cars.
DSC00269.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Chabhair from the track just before we joined the West Highland Way

We had an excellent day out with great company, Matthew was staying overnight in Tyndrum and had to get off to make sure his booking was firm so we had to say our farewells at the cars but we are hoping for another get together this year some time.

Four days of great mountains and great weather, we are hoping for similar at the beginning of May as we are heading north again, could we really be that lucky?.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Three do Three with two.

Postby Silverhill » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:16 pm

4 days of glorious weather on the trot, lucky you! Well done on bagging 9 munros! :clap: Great set of photos, it looks like it was a fun day!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Three do Three with two.

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:07 am

Nice one Marts, enjoyed your version. Thanks again for the company and hope to see you soon :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland