walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dearg and Stob Na Broige

Stob Dearg and Stob Na Broige

Postby Taraloo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 05/06/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1110m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started off with a beautiful sunny sky and parked at Altnafeadh. Was nervous about the scrambly part of the Coire na Tulaich but felt if Gordon was with me at least he could help if I was struggling! :lol:
Buachille Etive Mhor 168.jpg
Here we go....
Buachille Etive Mhor 169.jpg
Wow some size of rocks ahead of us.

Felt a little more confident when we caught up with a group of women all my age and older, knew I could do it then.
Buachille Etive Mhor 172.jpg
Group of women hillwalkers
Make you feel very small and insignificant when you are surrounded by huge pieces of rock, but still impressive. Thanks goodness we dont have to climb these !!!
Buachille Etive Mhor 180.jpg
now thats a rock!
Very rocky on the approach to the top of Coire na Tulaich but was okay.
Buachille Etive Mhor 179.jpg
rocks most of the way up from here.
"Why would you want to put yourself through this every week?!" was Gordon's question lol. Guess he just doesnt get it! :lol:
Buachille Etive Mhor 182.jpg
Why?!
Before I know it we are at the scarey bit that I have been worrying about all day! The last 10 minutes up the coire were a bit hairy, just not knowing where to put my feet to scramble up the rock faces and my poles kept getting in the way, but just took my time and managed it without Gordon's help! So, here I am at the top of the Coire cheesy smile and all!
Buachille Etive Mhor 187.jpg
Phew that was a little scarey!
stopped for a 5 minutes break, Mars Bar and a banana to get a little energy back then headed off up towards the summit of Stob Dearg which was still very rocky.
Buachille Etive Mhor 193.jpg
still quite rocky en route to the summit of Stob Dearg
There were a few wee false summits which made us smile... :D
Buachille Etive Mhor 197.jpg
I believe its this way....

Finally we reached the summit and Gordon then realised what it was all about!
Buachille Etive Mhor 204.jpg
On top of the world!
The views were stunning!
Buachille Etive Mhor 205.jpg
Think this is Buachaille Etive Beag but not sure
It was quite busy but we managed to get a few wee shots then headed back down towards the Stob na Doire. Had a quick look down at all the people heading up the Coire Na Tulaich, they were so small they looked like ants!
Buachille Etive Mhor 209.jpg
ants on their way up
Next stop was Stob Na Doire...
Buachille Etive Mhor 212.jpg
Stob Na Doire
Each time we stopped to look back we were more impressed!
Buachille Etive Mhor 222.jpg
looking back from Stob na Doire
Buachille Etive Mhor 229.jpg
such beautiful scenery
Onward and upward towards Stob na Doire then Sotb Coire Altrium and finally Stob Na Broige. Cant believe how many people were on the hills today, busiest ever!
Buachille Etive Mhor 235.jpg
towards Stob na Doire
Looking back again made us aware of the distance we had travelled so far.
Buachille Etive Mhor 236.jpg
looking back
took a 5 minute breather on Stob coire Altruim then had to pick up the pace as my daughters babysitter had just cancelled for tonight and we had to be home in Erskine by 6pm so we didnt have any time to dilly dally. Headed off very quickly to Stob Na Broige then doubled back to descend via the grassy route after Altrium. Was very slidy because of the loose stones and had to "bum" it down at a few points by the stream but made good time and were both ecstatic at the days walking.
Buachille Etive Mhor 248.jpg
slippy way down!
Nearly down and the sun is still shining!
Buachille Etive Mhor 262.jpg
phew, nearly down!
Had a bit of walk back to the car but was on the flat and we had a really good pace going so got there in jig time.
Buachille Etive Mhor 267.jpg
walk back to the car
Had a cool beer from the cool box and were heading home before we knew it, looking back in awe at what we had just done! Well chuffed and Gordon's first two Munros!!!
Buachille Etive Mhor 282.jpg
success!!
Thanks Gordon! :D
Last edited by Taraloo on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Stob Dearg and Stob Na Broige

Postby monty » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Nice report Taraloo,
Some superb rocky pictures. :D Well done
monty

Postby Taraloo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks Monty. :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Postby FloozySuzie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:41 pm

On Friday we completed the West Highland Way. The day before that was the stretch from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven.
I utterly, completely fell in love with Buachaille Etive Mor. I have so many pictures of it. I could see the path up it, and wanted so much to climb up it - but to be honest the Devil's Staircase was hard enough!

I must, must do it one day.
FloozySuzie

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Well done taraloo - cracking mountain, looks like you had a good weather day for it. Makes all the difference.
Onwards and upwards to the next one! :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 am

Enjoyed reading that report Taraloo and your pics are great. Really looks like an impressive place to be. Will have to have a wee look at this one as I'm heading up that way in August. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fe Fe Trix » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Hey Jeanie so proud of you and Gordon the photos are amazing and it doesn't feel so scary when I see them. Looking forward to bagging our first munro together soon. Well done! My Ben Ledi on Sunday looks small in comparison!! : :shock:
Fe Fe Trix
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Taraloo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 pm

FloozySuzie wrote:On Friday we completed the West Highland Way. The day before that was the stretch from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven.
I utterly, completely fell in love with Buachaille Etive Mor. I have so many pictures of it. I could see the path up it, and wanted so much to climb up it - but to be honest the Devil's Staircase was hard enough!

I must, must do it one day.

Hi Floozy Suzie, well done on doing the West Highland Way, its a great feeling isnt it. My husband and I did it just 4 weeks ago and thats exactly when we decided we wanted to do the Buachaille, on our approach to Kingshouse. We fell in love with it too! Its a tiring one, but well worth it when you get to the top! I look forward to reading your report when you do it. :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Postby Taraloo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:54 pm

skuk007 wrote:Well done taraloo - cracking mountain, looks like you had a good weather day for it. Makes all the difference.
Onwards and upwards to the next one! :)

Thanks Skuk007 we were very lucky with the weather but it just made my face even pinker than normal! :lol: Hopefully doing Beinn Ime this Saturday so fingers crossed its nice again.
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Postby Taraloo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Enjoyed reading that report Taraloo and your pics are great. Really looks like an impressive place to be. Will have to have a wee look at this one as I'm heading up that way in August. :D

Thanks Jock McJock (luvvin the name by the way lol) You should definitely put it on your list to do, its brill! :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Postby Taraloo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Fe Fe Trix wrote:Hey Jeanie so proud of you and Gordon the photos are amazing and it doesn't feel so scary when I see them. Looking forward to bagging our first munro together soon. Well done! My Ben Ledi on Sunday looks small in comparison!! : :shock:

Hey Fe Fe!!! This site is so addictive isnt it? lol. You should do a report on Ben Ledi, its a good looking hill too, if I hadnt been so burnt out on Sunday I would've done it with you but probably would have even more problems getting up from my desk than you see me having at present! Bring on the 21st, just let me know which one you want to do.
See you tomorrow in the hell hole! :( xx
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Postby Derek T » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:20 am

Great report and pictures, Taraloo.

I'm doing this for the first time in July as part of our West Highland Way route and can't wait to get up this fantastic mountain 8)

Derek
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Taraloo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Derek T. wrote:Great report and pictures, Taraloo.

I'm doing this for the first time in July as part of our West Highland Way route and can't wait to get up this fantastic mountain 8)

Derek

Thanks Derek. You will love it! Very energetic doing it as part of the Way! Look forward to reading your report. Enjoy. :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Postby Derek T » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Taraloo wrote:Thanks Derek. You will love it! Very energetic doing it as part of the Way! Look forward to reading your report. Enjoy. :D

We're planning to do Ben Lomond, Ben Nevis and maybe Ben Dorain too :?
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Taraloo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:39 am

Derek T. wrote:
Taraloo wrote:Thanks Derek. You will love it! Very energetic doing it as part of the Way! Look forward to reading your report. Enjoy. :D

We're planning to do Ben Lomond, Ben Nevis and maybe Ben Dorain too :?

WOW! I am impressed! lol. I loved the look of Ben Dorain when we stayed at the West Highland Sleeper this May whilst doing the WHW. Definitely on my plans for this summer. Ben Nevis sometime in August too hopefully with the girls.

Good luck and enjoy! :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland