walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coire Arklet Circuit

Coire Arklet Circuit

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Choin

Date walked: 26/04/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.1 km

Ascent: 1011m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Work duties prevented me from getting out on the hills on Saturday - I could only watch the sunshine from the sidelines as it were. As I didn't finish my on-call duties til 9am Sunday it meant that a close-by hill was required, especially as I needed to be back early enough to get to Nick Cave in Concert in Glasgow in the evening. Competition for my time at the expense of the hills is never good :crazy:

ba'choin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Anyway, decided on Beinn a'Choin, the Hill of the Dogs - a shortish circuit not far away - sorted. Had planned a route that took a horseshoe round Corriearklet as this looked more pleasant than the WH route. A skeck on goolemaps streetview suggested there was verge parking available near the farm, which indeed there was. Left the house just gone 8am with the lovely early morning sunshine turning to sleet and the car telling me it was 3.0 degrees - quite a change from last weekend. Uneventful drive up to Aberfoyle then the wee road out towards Inversnaid. Found a suitable spot just before the green barn to put the car completely on the verge and set off up Meall Odhar. Ben Lomond stared at us from across Loch Arklet as we climbed steep grassy slopes. Weather was very changeable - sunshine and blue sky being replaced by clag and snow/hail repeatedly. The slopes lead up over some craggy bits to Stob an Fianne, where a fence line is reached - there's a clear path to follow now that diverges from the fence line where the latter loses height. As we climbed we began to get views down to Tarbet and the Arrochar Hills beyond - Vorlich and Vane standing proud.

Looking west along Loch Arklet, Vane & Vorlich in view
ImageP1070210 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Adequate off road parking
ImageP1070211 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Setting off up Meall Odhar
ImageP1070213 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Loch Arklet with Ben Lomond behind
ImageP1070216 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Looking east along Loch Arklet
ImageP1070218 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up to Stob an Fhianne
ImageP1070219 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View towards Tarbet
ImageP1070221 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View north towards Crianlarich hills - Beinn Chabhair
ImageP1070223 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Arrochar hills again
ImageP1070227 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Path from Stob an Fhianne to Beinn a Choin
ImageP1070226 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Looking south down Corriearklet
ImageP1070228 by 23weasels, on Flickr

As we neared to top of Beinn a Choin it was possible to see Loch Long and recognise just how close Lochs Lomond and Long lie to each other - the Vikings didn't have that far a distance to lug their longships to go pillaging. Lost the path on the craggy approach to the summmit, but it was easy enough to follow one's nose and enjoy a bit of a scramble if the notion took you. The top came into sight accompanied by a cold blast of air and more sleet. A visit to the cairn was followed by seeking shelter out of the elements to have some lunch. Unfortunatly the views didn't much improve whilst we were up there.

Rocky top part of Beinn a'Choin
ImageP1070229 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Snow's on its way - Loch Lomond, Loch Long behind
ImageP1070231 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit Beinn a'Choin
ImageP1070233 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Narnain, Ime, Vorlich, Vane
ImageP1070235 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Loch Long in backdrop
ImageP1070236 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1070237 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1070241 by 23weasels, on Flickr

An overzealous celebration from Sick Kid :roll:
ImageP1070238 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The next section of the route took us down quite steeply to Maol Breac a'Bhealaich - well after I had corrected my course, as carelessness and poor visibilty had threatened to take us back the way we'd come :roll: The snow was flurrying around us by now. Next target was the impressive knobble of Stob a'Choin Dhubh - peak of the black dog, which Allison headed up first and stood like Christ on Mount Corcovado. We pressed on to the rounded grasses of Maol Mor, enjoying the hint of a view down to Loch Katrine - would be lovely on a clear sunny day. Cross a deer fence (there is a stile but we only noticed it after climbing the fence) and made the trig point on Maol Mor, then headed down the SW flanks to Corriearklet - there are some crags here so pick a path carefully. Lastly down to the track and back to the car - 5 hours well spent.

Craggy outcrops on way down from Beinn a'Choin
ImageP1070244 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The next part of the route
ImageP1070247 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Peak of the black dog...
ImageP1070249 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Ben Lomond
ImageP1070253 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sick Kid ascending the Black Dog
ImageP1070254 by 23weasels, on Flickr

"Sick Kid the Redeemer"
ImageP1070255 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View to Glengyle House and Loch Katrine
ImageP1070260 by 23weasels, on Flickr

New snow on the Crianlarich Hills
ImageP1070261 by 23weasels, on Flickr

A bit blustery/cold at the trig on Maol Mor
ImageP1070265 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View east to Loch Katrine
ImageP1070269 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back down to Corriearlket
ImageP1070270 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Beinn Narnian (I think) and Loch Arklet
ImageP1070271 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stats
ImageP1070273 by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Coire Arklet Circuit

Postby m3doc » Sat May 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Did this circuit 15th July 2007. My hay fever does not normally trouble me on the hills mainly because the grass has been nibbled short by sheep and deer. However, this was severe as Scottish Water had cleared sheep from around the reservoir lochs following cryptosporidium outbreak in water supply. Hence the grass was 4 foot tall and in full pollen shedding even on the summit ridges on this circuit. My nose was streaming and sneezing all the way round :(
m3doc
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:222
Fionas:124   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland