walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Covesea and Lossiemouth seaside

Covesea and Lossiemouth seaside

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Date walked: 18/04/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 10m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst everyone else on here was probably out "enjoying" themselves on some hill or other we headed for the seaside because we are democratic. Photos don't really show it but the view across the Moray Firth north and west was pretty good with a distant sea mist providing an interesting foreground. But like I say you can't really see that detail in the pictures.
Never mind we had a good walk along the cliff top until we got to the beach upon which my wife gave me a row for allowing her to put on her non-beach shoes. Well she had asked whether I thought her shoes would be fine to which I naively replied yes. No matter, I thought, we could do the beach walk separately instead.
Making our return back to the car we found the way ahead blocked by a posse of King Charles spaniels. My wife does like spaniels but she probably likes her trousers being clean just a tiny bit more. So after a brief stand off the pack leader launched itself in the direction of my wife or more specifically my wife's trousers. Well I didn't really see much of a problem as it was a dry day. Nevertheless we had to microscopically examine the said trousers for paw marks of which there were none. Nevertheless, once my wife was satisfied that the trousers were still pristine we decided to head back to the car in more of a loop so that we didn't just keep getting caught up in the throng of spaniels. Of course she would have to practically adopt the elderly half blind straggler. It was awfully cute though I must admit.
Made it back to the car without further incident then set off for Lossiemouth and a walk back west along the beach to the lighthouse which I hadn't entirely realised sits atop a raised area underut by caves. So a pleasant end to the afternoon with a bit of a surprise thrown in.
Got a bit of a chesty cough next day; probably a mistake to not take a jacket in that cold sea breeze we had but still had a good afternoon's walking.

To obtain a chesty cough:

1 park in sheltered parking spot
2 test air temperature in sheltered parking spot
3 carelessly discard jacket into car boot ignoring look of concern on wife's face
4 tell yourself it's not that bad as the north sea breeze slices though your summer atire

Spynie Palace stop off to stretch the legs

Ben Aigan

Bin of Cullen beyond RAF Lossiemouth

Ben Aigan

sensible people put their hat on when it turns out there's quite a cold sea breeze I later discovered

sea stack

Bens Aigan and Rinnes

presumably Morven and co.

Bens Aigan and Rinnes
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Covesea and Lossiemouth seaside

Postby mrslitljortindan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 pm

A lovely walk. I spoilt it by not putting on my beach shoes. They are gardening clogs, rubber clogs good for walking on most surfaces. Shoes can be ruined by sea salt. I once ruined a good pair of shoes with sea salt. Also I feel that all dog walkers should put their dogs on leads according to the act of 2012 by the RSPCA as then everyone can enjoy their walk. I always put my spaniel on a lead. I love spaniels and animals. A great walk. We ended up going along the road because of dogs. It was hard work walking along the road.
mrslitljortindan
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland