walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN VANE

BEN VANE

Postby epmallon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 31/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CgNt8ISJMs[/youtube]I climbed Ben Vane last year with friends in very poor weather conditions and since then every time I drove passed this area to do other mountains I made myself a promise that I would do it again knowing that the views are tremendous. The first picture below is from last year and the second is from the same view point of the latest walk.
July 2009
DSC_0863.JPG
The attachment DSC_0863.JPG is no longer available

DSC_0162.JPG
The attachment DSC_0162.JPG is no longer available

It was bank holiday monday and my usual walking companions had to work so of I set off on my own or so I thought, the mountain was busy with other walkers and I always had some one to strike up a conversation with. I started my ascent after the second small bridge, the path you see in the picture below can lead to quite boggy ground you are better carrying on up the road another 50yds. or so and find a faint path that leads up the first small hill to the start of the south east ridge after this the path is very obvious.
DSC_0183.JPG
The attachment DSC_0183.JPG is no longer available
DSC_0055.JPG
The attachment DSC_0055.JPG is no longer available

Loch Sloy Dam And Ben Vorlich
DSC_0057.JPG
The attachment DSC_0057.JPG is no longer available
DSC_0058.JPG
The attachment DSC_0058.JPG is no longer available
DSC_0066.JPG
You are soon stretching those muscles
DSC_0073.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein in the distance
DSC_0074.JPG
Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime
DSC_0083.JPG
Time to get the hands dirty
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG
Obligatory posing photo at top
DSC_0120.JPG
Narnain & The Cobbler
DSC_0136.JPG
thoroughly enjoyable day (only half a day really) a great wee mountain with brilliant views, if you pick the right day.
epmallon

Munros:24   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: BEN VANE

Postby walk aboot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Nice report epmallon - liked the year later photo comparison :)

Ben Vane was my first Munro. I was more scared of heights then, crawled up on my hands and knees and shuffled back down on my bum :?
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby epmallon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks walk aboot, one of my walking companions can be a bit like that shuffling about on his bum at scary bits especially on steep snowy places, if memory serves me right you catch a glimpse of him doing it on my Beinn Narnain report :lol:
epmallon

Munros:24   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 am

Ah so that's what it looks like! Great pics - thanks for those - never saw a thing on my visit... I thought it looked really daunting from the bottom, especially when walking buddy Richard abandoned me as he couldn't be bothered with something so steep in the clag, but I found it was mostly okay. Your pics make it look really scrambly so now I'm proud of coping so well on my own in the mist :D
mountain coward

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Nice report with some great pics :) Was up there recently and got much the same kind of day that you did. Really enjoyed Ben Vane a I found there was a wee bit of everything on there, from the grassy slope at the bottom to the wee scrambly bits as you get further up. The views of the surrounding hills are great too although it is quite a steep climb. I find that I like the steep stuff though as you gain hight very quickly and the views open up. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Yeah I like going up steep as you seem to get there in no time at all... hate coming down steep though! :o
mountain coward

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 pm

:lol: :lol:
mountain coward wrote:Yeah I like going up steep as you seem to get there in no time at all... hate coming down steep though! :o

Yeah, the knees!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 pm

No not my knees, they're always fine during descent - just I find looking down the drop scary!
mountain coward

Postby walk aboot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Told you...bum-shuffling's best :thumbup: :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:59 pm

mountain coward wrote:No not my knees, they're always fine during descent - just I find looking down the drop scary!

My knees get really sore on the way down and my knees get all shaky :lol:

walk aboot wrote:Told you...bum-shuffling's best :thumbup: :lol:
:lol:

Will have to give that a try :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:27 pm

I'd forgotten what a rocky little fella Ben Vane is - I did it on a really sticky hot day with leaden skies and to the soundtrack of thunder rolling around the Arrochar Alps. The thunder was quite cool but I'd rather have had a day like this one.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland