walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Sgriodain

Stob Coire Sgriodain

Postby litljortindan » Sat May 02, 2015 8:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 01/05/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 850m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast of overnight frost and icy road had me holding off departure until 5am to allow for a bit of a thaw. That seemed to work a treat. That said, it felt like the middle of January driving through sleet and snow between Turriff and Aviemore.
Got there eventually though (8.45am) and got glorious views down Loch Laggan en route. The road to Fersit is also a a bit of a gem, winding its way by and crossing two streams, running past a lochan and finally halting at the large turning area.
A deer stood in the middle of the road in Fersit, not seeming to know whether to approach me or flee but eventually electing the latter course of action. Keeping righ at all junctions, as suggested by WH, saw me through the farm gate and onto a track over the open moor.
My plan was to stay well east of the nose, following the course of the main stream running down from Lochan Coire an Lochain and then cutting west about 0.5km north of the Lochan. Exuberance got the better of me though and I set off for the east slope of the nose.
Started off ok but the steps I thought I could make out in the snow were in fact the tracks of snow slabs that had broken off. Worse, I found myself on ground that was steep, boulder strewn and cover in soft, collapsing snow.
I determined then to traverse onto more heathery ground where I could at least see where I was putting my feet. Couldn't really contour round too far though as I ran into a slope that forced me upwards. That was a little uncomfortable for a while but eventually got up onto the nose ridge and found some great pre-kicked steps to follow through the now harder snow. This really made life easy for most of the rest of the way though, interestingly, the steps over the last 100m of ascent had filled in with fresh snowfall.
Reached the summit ridge with its astonishing views down and across Loch Treig and spent a happy forty five minutes dawdling about there. Even got the train tooting its horn but couldn't spot it -maybe at Fersit and out of sight.
On the way down I tried my planned ascent route as a descent route and this was almost perfect -just one wee mishap near the bottom as I sank into some snow obscured crevice. Got quickly onto a path beside the main stream and followed paths and tracks all the way back. All in all, in fact, not very boggy at all.

aiming for the low point on the horizon I followed this lively, cascading stream

cutting off onto the nose from the east way too early I found myself on tricky ground

soft snow collapsing between boulders wasn't that much fun so stayed on the heather early on

temporarily onto easier ground

but eventually forced back onto the rocks on the right

then up onto the nose ridge

thank you, whoever kicked these steps up through the harder snow -made life easy

first sight of one of the Stobs the other side of Loch Treig

Creag Meagaidh to the north east

looking south east to Chno Dearg

onto the summit ridge

zoom down Loch Treig -railway cutting climbing to 380m contour

zoom to Glencoe

my inside out hat

what had been my planned really easy ascent route turned out to be a really easy descent route thanks to the firm enough snow

following a different stream down -this one a little further west

quite a decent path and the whole walk not very boggy at all

more nice cascades on the way down

time for a walk round Fyvie Castle grounds when I got home

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Sun May 03, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Stob Coire Sgriodain

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 03, 2015 9:39 pm

For some reason I had difficulties avoiding the steep ground on this hill as well. It was like a magnet. :crazy: It is clear that you very much enjoyed the views towards Loch Treig :wink: . And rightly so because they are great!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 04, 2015 7:54 pm

Silverhill wrote:For some reason I had difficulties avoiding the steep ground on this hill as well. It was like a magnet. :crazy: It is clear that you very much enjoyed the views towards Loch Treig :wink: . And rightly so because they are great!

Yes, went a bit click happy at the top and indeed it is a great view from there but a lot more to the hill than just the top bit; really enjoyed the babbling burns on the ways up and down.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby rockhopper » Thu May 07, 2015 11:33 pm

That did look steep at times but worth the effort - great views down Loch Treig - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Tue May 12, 2015 9:01 pm

rockhopper wrote:That did look steep at times but worth the effort - great views down Loch Treig - cheers :)

Yes, quite a good test for my back which seems to be taking on a new lease of life now.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Lovely pics, you had about the same snow cover as we did when we were up there last year - in March. Beautiful area and glad to hear the back's improving. :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely pics, you had about the same snow cover as we did when we were up there last year - in March. Beautiful area and glad to hear the back's improving. :clap:

Ah but you got the sun and the cloud shadow on the loch so later in the day maybe better for photos. I note Bertie and Biggles looking suitably affronted by virtue of their leads still being on at the start of your walk there!
litljortindan
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland