walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two and a half days in Sutherland

Two and a half days in Sutherland

Postby gaffr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Leoìd, Ben Loyal

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Stack, Meall an Fheur Loch, Meallan a' Chuail

Date walked: 06/06/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday afternoon spent on Ben Stack.....saturday with finer weather out to Leoid, Meallan a' Chuail and meall an Fheur Loch and Sunday after the long marche d'approache finally to Ben Loyal.
HPIM4371.jpg
This looks as if it should be the top of Ben stack.
HPIM4377.jpg
The weather brewing up over Chuinneag.
HPIM4392.jpg
HM enjoying the good conditions on Leoid.
HPIM4397.jpg
A peep down from the top of Meallan a' Chuail.
HPIM4404.jpg
Arkle and Foinavon from Loch Cul a'Mhill.
HPIM4410.jpg
The flat top of Fheur Loch with the other two behind.
HPIM4413.jpg
The very fine stalkers track that we used at the start and finish of the walk.
HPIM4422.jpg
Sunday found me close to Ben Loyal with a longish marche d'approache to this beautiful blade of granite on which the trig point sits.
HPIM4421.jpg
the top of Loyal looking to the North.
Last edited by gaffr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Two and a half days in Sutherland

Postby malky_c » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Nice one. Hope to do your Saturday walk sometime soon - seems like you end up a good long way from the road on those? Mind you, the other two you did would also be good!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gaffr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 am

Hello,
The Saturday trip out to Leoid began on a fine stalker's trail from the roadside....so well constructed that you have to look quite hard to see the zig-zags....it is well blended into the terrain. As you can see from the map of the area it ends at a high spot above the glen that you have to reach to allow access to Leoid. A loss of gained height is part of this and the ground is not very friendly in descent and even less friendly is the now bulldozed track into this glen (from Loch More) or is my map vastly out of date...it looks fairly new. However you get this disappointment behind you....the bulldozing has been halted by the steepning to the corrie rim so at least you have the old track to this area....Leoid is easily reached from here....return to the col and the other two are now 'available'. Around, I suppose, 1,200 metres of going up in this trip. The remoteness thing ...not too bad...for real remote 'outermost Gaeldom' try going South from here to the Ben More Assynt area.....one look for me was more than enough. :lol:
Last edited by gaffr on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 am

Some lovely pictures there Gaffr. Love the first one. Is that just a top? :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 am

malky_c wrote:Nice one. Hope to do your Saturday walk sometime soon - seems like you end up a good long way from the road on those? Mind you, the other two you did would also be good!

Me and walking buddy Richard are there next week and will be doing at least Ben Loyal (as well as the Sutherland Munros) sometime during the week if you want - I can PM you my number if you like...

Ben Stack looks pointy - some great photies there :D
mountain coward

Postby gaffr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Plenty of your fellow country folks in the area and at the camping at Scourie....they all seem to have a great amount of knowledge of the hills and lower level walks in Sutherland....many appear to have been coming up for thirty years or so....good description of the fire on the hillside above the village when the lightning struck at the same time as our boots were being well filled with the afters of the lightning strikes when doing a 'runner' from Ben Stack.
It may be Southlands for the Vikings but for us it is far Northlands! Take plenty of the Avon stuff and 'smokers' if you are camping.....the little beasts are feeding!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby maddjock » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 am

very nice... :thumbup: Ben Stack is my favourite scottish hill...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:16 am

A great trip you had there gaffr.Some great weather. Ben Loyal's a fine hill.

We spent 2 and half days in Sutherland the week before you...camped at Durness site. Did a lot of coastal stuff, Sandwood, Talmine, Smoo Cave...great places :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks for the midgie warning Gaffr!
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:08 pm

mountain coward wrote:
malky_c wrote:Nice one. Hope to do your Saturday walk sometime soon - seems like you end up a good long way from the road on those? Mind you, the other two you did would also be good!

Me and walking buddy Richard are there next week and will be doing at least Ben Loyal (as well as the Sutherland Munros) sometime during the week if you want - I can PM you my number if you like...

Ben Stack looks pointy - some great photies there :D

Cheers for the offer MC. I doubt I'm going to be let that far of my lead again so soon after my Knoyart trip though! Especially not midweek. I know what your opinions are on having to ask permission from your partner etc, but I think I'll go for the easy life here 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland