walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Leven (Swarm) Circuit

Loch Leven (Swarm) Circuit

Postby raykilhams » Sun May 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Date walked: 03/05/2015

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 2nd May , rain tipping it down . Sitting here with a coffee with a tad of whiskey thrown in , absolutely no desire or inclination to move out of my warm comfy chair . :clap:
So with nothing else to do ( unless the wife knows better :shock: ) , I thought a little reminiscing would be quite in order . :D
The first walk that came to mind was the 13 mile circuit of Loch Leven from last May , notable for two things , which will become apparent if you read on.
It was last Mayday when we decided to walk the circuit and lo and behold the weather was good ,( dry , warm and humid). We parked the car at Kirkgate Park and made our way around passing Kinross House . The array of wild flowers and birds were a joy to behold , but then Scotland always excels in May . We were happily strolling along singing a song , ( as all on Walkhighlands are prone to do on occasion ......No!.. I hear you say ,.... well you surprise me ), when we began to notice that the small groups of flies that we had encountered along the way seemed to be merging into large swarms . By the time we passed Burgher Bridge on our left the air had become one thick dense super swarm of millions if not billions of flies . Never in my life have I seen anything like it . I've seen thick clouds of midges high on the Cobbler , I've seen masses of midges while on the West Highland way and swarms on the Pennine Way ( didn't expect so many there ). But never have we ever had to virtually wade through the sea of flies as we did on that day. People passed us on their bikes with vests pulled up over their faces with one hand shielding their eyes from the plague . There were children crying as flies were landing and crawling all over their faces and into their eyes. Fortunately they didn't appear to be the biting type , probably Duns etc.
After a mile or so the swarms thinned out and we walked on enjoying the sights of both Loch and Hills . Had a spot of lunch about half way around and walked on to Vane Farm Nature Centre. From there we walked on the newly openly section of path back to Kinross and the car. We were not overly impressed with the new section , very open , sparse almost barren , but maybe in a few years time as newly planted trees and shrubs grow it will improve.
All in all we enjoyed the walk but unfortunately two days later Arlene noticed a tick fall from her ankle while in the shower . Over the next couple of days she developed the classic Lyme disease rash all over her body . She went to the doctors and fortunately made a point of having them check for LD and although I believe it is difficult to determine by a blood test at an early stage , she was seen by a doctor who has had experience with treating LD before . He prescribed the appropriate course of antibiotics and within a couple of weeks the rash disappeared .
The moral of this story is to always check yourself over ( or get a friend to :shock: ) after a walk , even early in the year , you just never known when LD will strike.
PS. Arlene's okay now and since then always uses a She-Wee ( I think you get the picture) .
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Loch Leven (Swarm) Circuit

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 pm

A timely report to warn about ticks. I’m glad your wife is OK now.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby KatTai » Mon May 04, 2015 9:46 am

I hate Loch Leven because of the ticks there. Went with my last dog and my aunts dog and was walking along quite happily when I noticed things crawling on the dalmatian - loads of ticks! There were on my dog and me, and when I looked I could see loads of them on all the grass stems hanging over the path...fortunately none latched on but still, made the walk very unpleasant! It has really put me off walking there!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Graeme D » Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Funny you should mention this now, but we did this today on the bikes. The flies/insects were really bad on some sections (mostly where there was considerable tree cover) and I was glad I had sunglasses on. I kept my head down and held my breath on quite a few sections but our daughter who was on the back of my back was complaining quite loudly about flies at certain points. Must do a wee tick check too. As for the new section, I know what you mean - a little bare and austere in places compared to the other side. Nice wee lunch at Findatie though - very good value. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland