walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easy but unspectacular

Easy but unspectacular

Postby Oldman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:31 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 04/06/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fancied a walk but working to a schedule. Ben Chonzie seemed the best prospect. Although I was up there last year I never saw it as it was in solid cloud, 20 yards visibility, gale force winds and horizontal rain. I thought it would be nicer in the sunshine which the forecast promised. We felt that a nice easy pace with a good stop for lunch at the cairn would keep us easily inside our 5 hour deadline. So off we set at 9AM in cloudy almost calm conditions.
Ben Chonzie 001.jpg
Dull with prospect of some sun

The walking is easy if a little hard on the feet and the views back are quite nice.
Ben Chonzie 005.jpg
Looking back
As we walked the weather got brighter and cloud began to burn off the hills. Just past the dam the track steepens but not all that much - it's the surface that gets a little bit harder on the old feet - I knew I should have worn my other less worn boots!
Ben Chonzie 011.jpg
Just past dam - keep left
At last we got to a little cairn on the left - thank goodness, onto the hill with grass to walk on - soft and cool.
Ben Chonzie 012.jpg
Some decent walking at last
By now the sun was shining and it was getting a bit warm for me. As we progressed up the path we seemed to be heading a bit left - just a gut feeling. We were about to check our position and heading when we saw another walker a couple of hundred yards on our right heading down hill at great pace - clearly he was on another path and heading for the track we had just left but a short distance further on. We cut across to that path and could clearly see the path ahead up to the fence line. We could also see where this path joined the track below.
Ben Chonzie 040.jpg
path down to track
Should we maybe have gone on to a second cairn? Anyway it was all very pleasant and easy and I even made a new friend on the way.
Ben Chonzie 014.jpg
a new friend
Anyway we finally got to the most unspectacular but nice top where daughter insisted on a high five as usual.
Ben Chonzie 035.jpg
High five Oldman
The visibility was very poor in haze (mayby 5 miles or so) as can be seen from the pic of Loch Turrett.
Ben Chonzie 028.jpg
a hazy Loch Turrett
It was very peaceful at the top and we lingered quite a long time and finally headed back down taking exactly the same route because I knew there was a wee burn near the track where I could cool my feet before murdering them again on that rough and rocky path.
Ben Chonzie 043.jpg
that's better
I spent some considerable time with my feet in the water - it was just so good - and then it was back to the car. As the weather really got to heating up, convection got going and the cumulus clouds were sucking up the haze to give better, but not brilliant visibility on our way down and I still had enough enthusiasm to take more pics.
Ben Chonzie 056.jpg
better visibility now!
And so it was back to the car to get the air conditioning on. It took us five hours exactly including two long stops and frequent short stops - a good use of our 5 available hours. In summary a very enjoyable ramble without being anything demanding or spectacular. Nice but no WOW factor!
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: Easy but unspectacular

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

To be honest, in bad weather, gales or whatever, I prefer something unspectacular so I think it was a good choice! Love the socks pic! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby siobhan_flute » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:57 pm

The views would have been better later in the day, I think, but it was a pretty boring walk with little reward at the top! And we only had a fleeting glance of a mountian hare (after seeing no deer at Stuchd an Lochain the previous week too!).
siobhan_flute
Ambler

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:45 pm

I know a lot of peope find Ben Chonzie a bit boring but on a crisp clear day with some snow cover I think it makes an excellent winter walk for those of us without too much winter experience with spectacular views to the surrounding hills.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Nice report. I too like the toe-dipping photo :) .

Mountain hares :D ...knew you'd see at the very least one :thumbup: .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby monty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I agree its not the hardest munro but all in all a nice walk in reasonable weather. :D
monty

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I agree it's a perfectly pleasant walk :) (um, don't think I've got a least favourite/dull hill...well, okay, maybe Ben Vorlich...although the bowls of soup and huge pots of tea in the Ardlui Hotel do get the :thumbup: ...but the beige carpet in their lounge doesn't :thumbdown: ).
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Nothing wrong with easy :) . We can't do epics every week.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby fingeez » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Nice report :)

wondered what the top looked like lol

did this back in march with deep snow and thick cloud as my first Munro (see my report for pics of snow and cloud lol), going to go back and do it with my nephew and sister at some point and hopefully get some nice weather to see the views.
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland