walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo

Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby iandg » Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 04/06/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first solo Munro trip.

Left the car by Loch Moraig around 09.30 am and reached the summit cairn of Carn Liath around 11.00 am.

CIMG2414 (640x480).jpg
Looking south over the Vale of Atholl from Carn Liath. Blair Castle is a tiny white speck in the distance.

CIMG2415 (640x480).jpg
Looking north from the Carn Liath cairn.

I followed the standard WH route along the Beinn Mhaol ridge. At the end, the path descends steeply into a corrie, then rises again before heading north to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain. On the way down a couple of lads - hereafter referred to the as the Brownlee Brothers - powered past me.

CIMG2418 (640x480).jpg
The Beinn Mhaol ridge and summit path in the distance.

I stopped for a bite of lunch once I'd made the summit of BCCB. The Brownlees were now well ahead, and some walkers beginning to appear behind.

CIMG2423 (640x480).jpg
Looking east over to the Carn nan Gabhar summit. The Brownlees are specks in the distance.

CIMG2428 (640x480).jpg
Approaching the trig-point cairn of Carn nan Gabhar.

CIMG2429 (640x480).jpg
Folded hills north of Glen Tilt.

CIMG2431 (640x480).jpg
Looking south from the north-most cairn on Carn nan Gabhar. Airgiod Beinn and Carn Liath in the foreground.

CIMG2432 (640x480).jpg
The Brownlees on the north cairn of Carn nan Gabhar. Last I saw of them!

It seemed daft not to do the Airgiod Bheinn so I dutifully followed the Brownlees but lost sight of them long before I got there. The views back over to Carn Liath were great, so I stopped for a final cup of tea.

CIMG2434 (640x480).jpg
From whence we came. Looking south-west over to Carn Liath from Airgiod Bheinn.

I chose to come off the west side of Airgiod Bheinn - which in hindsight was madness! It's steep scree, and even with poles is decidedly dodgy. The common-sense route is to back-track to the Bealach an Fhiodha and descend on the path to the west of Allt Bealach and Fhiodha.

Once down, it was a long walk-out round the foot of Beinn Bheag and then Carn Liath. I was l lucky as the path was dry, but it must be murder in wet weather. Even so, it took the best part of two hours to get back to the car at Loch Moraig, arriving around 17.30.

A grand day out and an ambition realized.
iandg
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   

Re: Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby jepsonscotland » Tue May 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Well done on your first solo outing! :clap: :clap:
A great trio with cracking views, but a hellish walk back along 'track' that isn't there! :shock:
What's next..........
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby iandg » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Cheers Chris!

This was two years ago (!) before I'd found WH, but I've been meaning keep a diary for ages and this seemed like a reasonable place to start. I wasn't sure whether to make the report public or not, so thanks for your comment.
More will follow, as I get the hang of this.

I was on Carn na Caim in Drumochter on Monday - fabulous views, great weather, and I left the camera in the car!
That's life ... :?
iandg
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   

Postby Silverhill » Thu May 07, 2015 8:43 pm

One of my favourite mountains! This brings back good memories. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland