walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reaching double figures on Ben Lomond

Reaching double figures on Ben Lomond

Postby Sarah86 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 17/04/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was on a bit of a roll last year and was finally getting my munro count up... albeit slowly. After completing Ben Vorlich in November the snow and winter stopped me in my tracks. Ben Lomond has been next on my list for some time, every day driving to work I had been watching for the snow to clear. Finally it looked safe enough to do and the mountain forecast was looking good. I had read enough reports on this one to know peoples main complaint was how busy it could get at a weekend so I set off from Clackmannanshire at around 7am on a Friday to try and beat the crowds.

There was only one other car i the car park on arrival, so I got booted up, made sure I had plenty water for me and the dog and that I also had her coat for her just in case (Thank goodness I packed it). I wasn't too sure how Penny would manage this one as she will be 12 at the start of June and although classed as an easier munro it is still a bit walk. Anyway we set off and Penny had a real spring in her step as we walked up the initial path.

Views soon started to open up back to Loch Lomond and it was looking to be a very promising day

As we got high onto open hill side we caught up with a couple of tourists on holiday, as it would happen we kept on bumping into each other all the way to the top as I overtook them and then they caught up with me as I took a rest. I couldn't see the summit from this point and had no idea how much further I had to go but although a little breezy I was enjoying just being out and about.

I then reached the top of the open hill side where the path goes off to the left to reveal the summit of Ben Lomond... my exact words were oh jeez as I realised I still had quite a bit to go!

The views now were fantastic, The Cobbler is now in sight

Then things started to change... more and more cloud surrounded the summit and the wind was getting strong and colder... good job I packed Pennys coat!

Looking back to Loch Lomond more cloud was appearing

We pushed on none the less heading along the flatter ridge section itching to reach the final accent.

As we reached the more rugged section of path that starts to head uphill again although the weather was cold and challenging I felt energised knowing the summit wasn't far off.

It got to a point where there were no views and I thought our efforts wouldn't rewarded. I hate walking a hill for the sake of it as ticking them off isn't what it is about for me. I love to see what each hill has to offer in views but we were too close to turn back so we pushed on regardless.. As we got closer to the top we kept getting little bits of view... perhaps the cloud would clear after all.

Views!

Almost!

We were rewarded after all and what stunning views we got

Number 10 at last!

I couldn't get enough of these views, the cloud kept coming in and covering but it didn't last long

The clouds actually added to the views and made it quite dramatic

Summit pose!

Although the conditions look great from the top it was a bitterly freezing wind so we couldn't wait around long, it was a case of get the photos and run.

As we headed down the clouds all started to clear and I was starting to feel rather warm again. I was glad I set off early as I started to lose count of the number of people heading up. We I got back to the car park there wasn't a single free space.

All in all a fantastic day out, I really enjoy my little adventures alone with Penny dodging along at my own pace. So glad that we were rewarded with such fantastic views. Now that number 10 is complete I am struggling with easy options that are within good travelling distance to do with Penny.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: Reaching double figures on Ben Lomond

Postby Beaner001 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:24 pm

Well done on reaching double figures, lovely pics too :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 12, 2015 5:45 pm

That made it all worthwhile :) Great view and photographs from the summit, as you say the cloud passing through adds to the piccies, nice one. Its good to beat all the tourists to the top.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Silverhill » Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Congratulations on reaching double figures! :thumbup: Lovely clear pictures and the cloud adds to the atmosphere. The Drumochter hills are an easy bunch and not that much further from Clackmannanshire. So you can continue your roll of last year and we get to see more reports featuring Penny! :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby jupe1407 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:24 am

Cracking photos Sarah, looks like you got a great day for it :D

Well done on reaching double figures :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby tweedledog » Thu May 14, 2015 9:46 am

Well done Penny (and you, of course)!
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 am

Ben Lomond was my first Munro - and that was more than 50 years ago so it's time I went back! Most impressed with Penny. My two 11 year old labs would want to come but not sure if their arthritis makes it such a good idea. :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sarah86 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks for the comments, it really was a great day out and I am glad we set off early. We have been out again and completed Ben Ledi which has been on my list for a while. She still does well but we didn't hear a peep out of her the next day so she is feeling the effects of them more but she still seems to enjoy herself when out,
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby KatTai » Fri May 15, 2015 5:28 pm

What are the other easy options you've found? I'm looking for "easy" routes to do with Fly and while I'm a bit further North I'm down to Stirling every 4-6 weeks at the moment and Glenrothes every couple of months. Always looking for some good walk choices for her.

Lovely photos, Penny looks lovely!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby litljortindan » Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Looks a great day, made by the clouds. Penny looks like she took it all in her stride.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri May 15, 2015 9:45 pm

What a great day you got for your big one-zero! Penny looks great in her coat too!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland