walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creachan Mor, encore encore!

Creachan Mor, encore encore!

Postby jproudfoot » Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Date walked: 12/05/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.65 km

Ascent: 817m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first hillwalk report, hopefully it will be of use to someone!

Although it is a mere 657m and doesn't feature on any of the more coveted lists, Creachan Mor is a very prominent peak when viewed from our hometown of Helensburgh, and had been on our personal tick list for a while. There isn't an abundance of information out there on it, so we gamely tackled it last year in May after a bit of planning.

The original plan saw Tina and I approaching from the Carrick Castle side, close to Lochgoilhead and navigate through the woods to the south of the castle to gain the hillside. It was on this trip that I suffered my first hill-related injury, tearing my left calf muscle while attempting to cross a fallen spruce that was blocking the path. Defeat!

After I had recuperated, we decided that we would have to have another go, and thus we returned in September having decided that it might be safer to approach from the Ardentinny side of the ridge. We got as far as Am Binnein, to the SE of the summit, and around half way up, before we were driven back down by the most ferocious and relentless hordes of midges we had encountered on our adventures. Defeat! Again!

By now you can guess that Creachan Mor represented something of a nemesis for us, and our thoughts invariably turned toward it as it taunted us every time we drove through the town. Last Saturday we decided to give it another go, and spent a pleasant evening preparing on Friday night. I'm pleased to say that we vanquished it on this third attempt, and it was an amazing feeling! It's no secret that it's not always the highest or most distinguished mountains that are the best, and this one proved to be a very personal and emotional "tick" for us.

I offer this as the route we took, and having sampled the approach from three different directions now, it is the one I suggest! It is a there-and-back again, but we plan further visits (ha!) to spend more time exploring the ridge to the north west. Nothing here to severely challenge an experienced walker, quite boggy in places once you get higher up but at least the midges weren't out this time....

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the castle car park head south along the road past the public toilets until you reach a gate on the right leading to a forestry track which heads west across the field toward the forest.

We followed this track until it veers left, skirting the edge of the forest. The track is not visible on OS maps at this time - it was under construction when we visited and ended entirely as we climbed. We veered off to the south west, for a short but steep climb to the little hump of Cruach an Draghair.

The track skirting the edge of the forest.

From there we could see the ridge leading to our destination, which had previously been out of sight. We struck out south west, on boggy but manageable terrain before following the watercourses for an easier ascent through the bealach and up on to the ridge.

View of the ridge from the other side of Cruach an Draghair. I have no idea what she's pointing at.

From here it's a simple case of head to the highest spot for a well deserved viewpoint. There is an OS trig point set amongst a grassy sheltered cairn at the top.

The last wee pull to the top of Creachan Mor

We decided to extend our walk south to Cruach a' Chaise, and were rewarded with uninterrupted views down onto the lochs and a classic west coast view down the Firth of Clyde to Arran and Ailsa Craig.

Cairn on Cruach a'Chaise

Southwest view towards Helensburgh

View north up Loch Goil towards the Arrochar Alps.

For us, the best part was knowing *this* was the top we see almost every day, and the small but mighty change in perspective this offers to our world... we can hold hands and point and say..."We've been up there!" :)
jproudfoot

Munros:9   Corbetts:6
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Creachan Mor, encore encore!

Postby Aldo_2M0TXY » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks for sharing your report and photographs.

Like you, I've had my eye on this one for a long time for much the same reasons as you have given. With your information on the best route I think I'll be tackling this in the summer (if we get one) :crazy:
Aldo_2M0TXY
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Even late, but Congratulations for your 1st WH public report :clap:
Nice reading and photos documentation too :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby peterkn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks for a great report, Petr, a few of us are planning to follow your footsteps after the snow and ice has gone, but before the midges are active. And when the ground isn't too boggy. And it's a clear sunny day. Don't ask for much, do we? (Smiley face).
peterkn
Walker

Postby lulu_ferrari » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:34 pm

Thank you so much for posting this review! I too have been desperado to get up this hill! I live in H'burgh too and it's a hill that has always captivated me ever since I was a little girl! This has now compelled me to complete my mission, to bag this Graham. Looking forward to attempting it now. And those photos are fantastic! :D
lulu_ferrari
Mountain Walker

Postby peterkn » Sun May 15, 2022 6:33 pm

Recce'd this route three times for local ramblers group. We visited the summits of Cruach an Draghair, Creachan Mor and Cruach a' Chaise, the southern summit, 14th May 2022.
It was a stiff walk, but well worth the effort,
Attachments
Cruach an Draghair.jpg
Creachan Mor summit enlarge bright.jpg
Summit party

2022-05-14_10-23_001.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

peterkn
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland