walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going Cuckoo on The Cobbler...

Going Cuckoo on The Cobbler...

Postby KatTai » Thu May 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 13/05/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were heading back to Stirling and decided to choose a walk in the Loch Lomond area to do before we needed to be in Stirling (for 3:30pm so a good bit of time). The Cobbler was picked out, having seen it from Ben Lomond last month and read about someone else going up with his two dogs recently it seemed like a good choice! We set off at 8:15am and it was all nice and quiet. It was fairly cloudy but very warm heading up and it was soon off with the jacket that I never ended up putting back on because it was never needed! Neither were the snood and gloves in my rucksack!

We followed the zig-zags up through the forest...occasionally looking back to see Ben Lomond behind us

1.jpg
Looking back to Ben Lomond

The end of the forest in sight, we followed the path along and saw our target ahead of us.

2.jpg
The Cobbler

Looking at it, I did have to wonder how we were going to get up there because it certainly didn't look an easy thing to climb, but the route description had promised steps so we followed the path towards the cobbler.

5.jpg
"Come on hurry up!"

I have a simple rule with the dogs - on lead on the way up, off lead on the way down if it is safe. They are only off lead for photo opportunities, though they would much rather stay off lead!

As we got closer, the sun started to break through the clouds shining some light on the Cobbler.

14.jpg
The Cobbler

And it started to get even hotter in the sunshine, then we were faced with these...

15.jpg
The steps up to the cobbler

There was nothing else to do but start heading up! This was where we met the first other walker we had seen on the whole walk. He stopped for a bit of a chat, a welcome break from going up the steps! Then it was onwards and upwards! The views around us were amazing!

16.jpg

17.jpg

The path split, and we followed the WH directions to the right. It was a bit more rocky going this way, not what I really wanted too much of as one of my dogs has arthritis but we were nearly at the top so we kept on going up until we could see the summit. Here we stopped for a bit of a rest, and no, there was no threading of the needle! There is no way on earth I'm going to try and climb up there!

18.jpg

There was though some photo opportunity for the dogs!

20.jpg

It was then freedom for the dogs and changing of my lens from the wide-angle to my regular 55-250mm zoom lens (another "rule" for our walks, try and get the landscape going up then lots of taking photos of the dogs on the way down). Millie stuck to the steps for going down, while Fly with her arthritis made her own way down on the softer mossy side of the hill. She was soon leaving us behind roughly following the path, but she does wait for us to catch up every now and then...

26.jpg

The path was starting to get busier with other walks just heading up, I was quite glad we set off early. We stopped to chat to a few people along the way and spotted couple of stags up on the hillside.

45.jpg

I head a cuckoo calling, first of the year, and spotted one flying away. Even Millie took and interest in the cuckoo's call!

56.jpg

Really funny watching her listening to a bird call, she gets fascinated by some calls and looks like right now it is the cuckoo! Another couple were going passed stopped for a chat, and we were talking about hearing the cuckoo when I spotted it on a nearby tree!

54.jpg

Not bad going having heard, seen and photographed my first cuckoo of the year! A bird I've only managed to get photos of on one other occasion at the end of the cuckoo season last year! All in all, it made a fine ending to a walk which could only have been made better if the water hadn't retreated in Loch Long so the dogs couldn't have a swim at the end!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

Re: Going Cuckoo on The Cobbler...

Postby Sarah86 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Lovely dogs you have, I really enjoyed the cobbler but it is a busy one, a really good walk though.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby KatTai » Fri May 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Thank you :D I always try to set off early to try and avoid the mad rush up the hills, I don't really enjoy walks if there are too many people around. I like seeing a few people but not loads. Seem to have timed it right with the Cobbler though as it was quiet on the way up.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri May 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Looks like a great walk and congratulations on getting a photo of the cuckoo. When you start doing the more remote hills, especially if they are not Munros, they are quieter and sometimes one doesn't meet a soul all day. Bliss!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Grahams:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dtr42 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:36 pm

seen a cuckoo just round the corner as such going up the water path to narnain 2 weeks ago [probably same cuckoo as they are very territorial ] I see the snow is away on the slope up to the needle [I had a wee slide doon it ,then back up to slide doon again cracking wee walk ...
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Sun May 17, 2015 12:00 am

cobbler drink sambobubba.jpg

Nice report!

Must admit I've never noticed a cuckoo before ...so I must listen / look out for it next time I'm up.
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland