walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Twmpa, Rhos Dirion and Chwarel y Fan

Twmpa, Rhos Dirion and Chwarel y Fan

Postby andy63 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Chwarel y Fan, Twmpa

Date walked: 18/04/2015

Time taken: 4.4

Distance: 17.9 km

Ascent: 701m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

South Wales is a bit too far from Manchester to make a good day trip, so I booked a room at a B&B near Abergavenny for a 2 day mission to bag some of the eastern Brecon Beacons.
Thanks to numerous road works and a closed down motorway, the drive down on the Saturday morning took 5 hours, and I arrived at the small village of Capel-y-ffin at 1 p.m.
The first objective was Twmpa, also known as Lord Hereford's Knob.I had considered climbing Darren Lwyd and following the ridge up to Twmpa. However, as I was planning to do quite a lot of ridge walking over the weekend, I opted for the valley route instead. This meant walking about a mile up a tarmac road, which becomes a track and then a path, giving an easy gradual ascent up to the ridge, and a short climb up to the summit.

001 (640x480).jpg
Capel-y-ffin , Darren Lwyd in the background

004 (640x480).jpg
Ascent

005 (640x480).jpg

007 (640x480).jpg
Lord Hereford's Knob summit, view to Rhos Dirion, Pen y Fan in the distance

The mountains end abruptly here with a line of cliffs dropping down to a flat plain to the north.A path along the edge leads up to the next top, Rhos Dirion, the highest point of the day's walk.

013 (640x480).jpg
Rhos Dirion summit

Rhos Dirion is connected to Chwarel y Fan by a long wide grassy ridge. The ground was dry today, making it an easy walk. Chwarel y Fan has a nice rocky summit.

016 (640x480).jpg
Ridge towards Chwarel y Fan

018 (640x480).jpg
Chwarel y Fan

020 (640x480).jpg

The north east side of Chwarel y Fan is very steep, so when descending it's a good idea to keep to the main path - as I discovered by following a sheep track which led to a dead end half way down a cliff :roll: So I had to go back up the hill until I found the real path, which leads safely down past The Grange riding centre and back to Capel y ffin.

022 (640x480).jpg
Wrong way down

023 (640x480).jpg
Right way down
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland