walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Waun Fach horseshoe

Waun Fach horseshoe

Postby andy63 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Mynydd Llysiau, Pen Allt-mawr, Pen Cerrig-calch, Pen y Gadair Fawr, Waun Fach

Date walked: 19/04/2015

Time taken: 6.3

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 971m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was the second day of a 2 day expedition to bag some South Wales Hewitts. After having breakfast and checking out of the B&B I drove to a place just north of Llanbedr near Crickhowell. Fortunately I found a parking spot in just the right place, at the start of a footpath signposted 'Table Mountain'.

025 (640x480).jpg

The path leads up past some houses and over a stile into open country, turning right at the stile and then bending round to the left, along a section of the Beacons Way.Then a right tun up a grassy path gives a straightforward ascent up to Pen Cerrig-calch, and then along the ridge to Pen Allt-mawr.

027 (640x480).jpg
Beacons Way towards Table Mountain

028 (640x480).jpg
Ascent path

030 (640x480).jpg
Looking back towards Crickhowell

033 (640x480).jpg
Pen Cerrig-calch summit

035 (640x480).jpg
Pen Allt-mawr summit

After descending from Pen Alt mawr, the next two tops along the ridge are Pen Twyn Glas and Mynydd Lysiau.

036 (640x480).jpg
Pen Allt-mawr descent

040 (640x480).jpg
Mynydd Lysiau summit

Pen Trumau looks like a pointy hill but is actually just the end of a ridge.

043 (640x480).jpg
Pen Trumau

From a distance it looked like there might still be snow near the top of Waun Fach, but on closer inspection the white stuff turned out to be bags of stones which have been brought up for the construction of a new path.

044 (640x480).jpg
Waun Fach ascent

Waun Fach summit, the highest point in the Black Mountains, was something of an anti-climax. Apparently there used to be a trig point here, but it got swallowed up by the bog.Fortunately, my visit was in the middle of a dry spell, so the ground was quite firm as I wandered around the flat summit area trying to guess where the highest point was.

045 (640x480).jpg
Waun Fach summit

The next top, Pen y Gadair Fawr, ("the hill of the big chair") , is a shapelier mountain and a better viewpoint

046 (640x480).jpg
Pen y Gadair Fawr

047 (640x480).jpg
Pen y Gadair Fawr summit, with Lord Hereford's Knob in the background

I then continued along the ridge,over the Nuttall summit of Pen Twyn Glas, until I reached a cairn which indicates the start of a descent path.

051 (640x480).jpg
Pen Twyn Mawr summit

052 (640x480).jpg
Start of descent path.

The path is narrow but well made and makes a pleasant descent into the valley. At the bottom of the path a long and winding forest road eventually leads to Tir Y Nant, from which it was about a mile along country lanes to get back to the car.

053 (640x480).jpg
Descent

055 (640x480).jpg
andy63

Munros:40   Corbetts:5
Grahams:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland