walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Adventure - Day 1, with an early warning scare!!

Skye Adventure - Day 1, with an early warning scare!!

by Fife Flyer » Sat May 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh

Date walked: 15/05/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1067m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Skye Adventure - Day 1, with an early warning scare!!

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 18, 2015 11:52 am

Impressed you did these two in those conditions, and glad the rock missed!

We had a cloudy but calm day for these, and managed to traverse both, starting from Thormaid and descending Thuim, with a pretty exposed descent! A superb outing, which doesn't seem to get quite the attention of the other more famous Cuillin rounds, but contains some of the sharpest sections of ridge.

As for rockfall, when I first did the In Pinn, there was a chap ahead of me who for some reason was off the side of the east ridge, several metres off route, hanging from a steeper bit when the big rock he was on decided to depart. Luckily he just got out of the way and it missed his rope too. It didn't help the nerves for us, or particularly for the already nervous lady in front of us. The gabbro may be one of the best rocks for climbing on, but the Cuillin is full of lots of loose rock too.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Skye Adventure - Day 1, with an early warning scare!!

Postby simon-b » Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes, it was a real welcome to the Cuillin. My gaiters ended up in a mess too, but at least I don't need a new helmet :shock:
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland