walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easier route An Dorus to Sgurr a Mhadaidh

Easier route An Dorus to Sgurr a Mhadaidh

Postby SuperRon59 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Route description: Sgurr a Mhadaidh and Sgurr a Ghreadaidh

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh, Sgurr a'Mhadaidh

Date walked: 26/05/2010

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My fourth visit to An Dorus. Having never plucked up enough courage to risk climbing the next bit on either side, this is the closest I have got to these tops. But having read about the alternative route on this web site, I had a look for "the path at right angles on the left (North) just before the final 10 meters to An Dorus" and found it.
P1000362.JPG
Start of the "easy" path form the An Dorus gully looking North.
(See photo) This leads up and emerges on the edge of a small rock strewn plateau. A few short easy scrambles got me to the main path and then to the summit. (See obligatory photo of Loch Coruisk)
P1000351.JPG
Glen Coruisk from Sgurr a Mhadaidh
A summit I never thought I would bag. Wondering how to find the path again as I descended, I spotted this circular clearing free of rocks. (see photo)
P1000357.JPG
The "easy" path starts beyond the circle. Looking West to Glen Brittle SYHA
I guess someone has camped here in the past. The "easy" path starts just beyond it, leading down to the left (South) back to the An Dorus gully. Spent the evening celebrating in the Slig with three guys who had just completed the horseshoe. :) So next time its the In Pin ? :(
SuperRon59
Mountain Walker

Re: Easier route An Dorus to Sgurr a Mhadaidh

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks SuperRon
Coincidentally, we were there one day before you on the 25th May. We used the gully that rises to the left a few yards or so past the crest of the An Dorus window which is awkward but offers easier scrambling from the top of the gully to the summit. As a practising coward, I had to be nursed up Sgurr a Mhadaidh by by chum and lacked the adrenalin to then tackle Ghreadaidh. In retrospect our route was manageable for fearties and I will return for Ghreadaidh soon. Some pics from the day before
An Dorus again.JPG
The approach with the screes in sight
Attachments
The oft captured Coruisk from Sgurr a Mhadaidh.JPG
View from the summit
Another side of An Dorus.JPG
The gully is hidden from view but turns sharp left a couple of yards further on
Scotjamie
Walker

Munros:148   

Re: Easier route An Dorus to Sgurr a Mhadaidh

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 am

that's all pretty useful info thanks :D Wonder if I'll ever manage it or whether I'll be too much of a feartie (probably) :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland