walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two close to home (Mayar and Driesh)

Two close to home (Mayar and Driesh)

Postby KatTai » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 20/05/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided it was time to go for the two closest Munros to myself, Mayar and Driesh. I go up to Glendoll loads (it's one of the dogs favourite places!) yet have never gone and bagged the two munros there! The forecast looked good, apart from the windspeed forecasting gusts of nearly 40mph. Not ideal, but we decided to go for it anyway as we could be waiting for ever for totally ideal conditions!

The first part of the route we'd already done before. Rather than stay on the main track, we crossed the bridge to follow the path on the other side of the river instead. I prefer walking on that side and the dogs seem to enjoy it more too...

1.jpg
Hmmm...

We soon reached Corrie Fee and continued following the path to the waterfall then up alongside the waterfall, all this part I'd done before so I didn't really hang around much. It was getting too hot and though I knew it was supposed to be windy, took off my jacket that I put back on again when we reached the summit of Mayar where it was really windy so we didn't hang around there long! Before we reached the summit though we spotted a couple of mountain hare, seeing a lot more of these this year!

8.jpg
Mountain Hare

We continued on towards Driesh, the paths were easy enough to see as they were well-trodden. The dogs were off lead on the downhill bit, easier for us all, though I was green when a hare hopped almost within licking distance of Millie! Took off when it spotted me though. And they say dogs disturb wildlife? LOL!

Bit further along we came across some golden plover, only ever seen these before on Orkney!

19.jpg
Golden plover

Please stick to the paths up here as I'm pretty sure one pair were nesting just off the path!

Heading up towards Driesh I almost stood on this guy:

23.jpg
Ptarmigan

22.jpg
Ptarmigan

Thought I spotted a ptarmigan up on the Cobbler last week, now I know I did for sure after seeing this one! The wind at this point was really strong and I did get knocked about a bit, but we struggled on upwards and eventually reached the summit of Driesh and dived into the circle of rocks surrounding it where it was nice and sheltered! The dogs lay down for a rest while I had something to eat. I was amused that Fly positioned herself so that she was facing the entryway, obviously she didn't consider that someone could just come right over the wall if they wanted!

24.jpg
Guard dog

Lunch over, the dogs got their photo taken in the shelter next to the summit marker.

wh1.jpg
Millie, Fly and Dottie at the summit of Driesh

Millie decided to be a poser and pose on the wall afterwards too!

27.jpg
Millie at the summit

It was then time to head back down, the wind had died down a bit so I took the opportunity to get a few photos before it picked up again!

28.jpg
Lots of snow over there...

29.jpg

32.jpg
Looking out towards the sea

We were soon at the Kilbo path and heading back down the glen. Very enjoyable walk and I'm glad I bagged these two! Now up to five, not much compared to I guess most of the other people here but hey, I'm not competitive! I just like a nice walk and this one had the added bonus that it was easy enough that I could bring both dogs! Next ones Fly will probably have to be left at home for unfortunately.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Two close to home (Mayar and Driesh)

Postby JimboJim » Wed May 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Nice to see good shots of the wildlife and info, too. Don't worry. Five is great. Most people on here had five at one point!

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Two close to home (Mayar and Driesh)

Postby KatTai » Mon May 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks :D Though i wish I could get as close to the hare as the dog did! That's twice now this year she's had a hare run over to her!

Will have to see how many more munro's I add to my little list, I only go for easy (by munro standards anyway) routes with a path and that rules a lot of them out haha
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland