walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stalking the panther on Carn na Coinnich

Stalking the panther on Carn na Coinnich

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na Coinnich

Date walked: 20/05/2015

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If you have a half day to climb something you've not done before not too far from home what do you do? In my case I check WH to see what others in the area have done..... and from that vital piece of research on Tuesday afternoon I came up with a plan. We'd head for Strathconon in pursuit of a large cat seen frequenting these parts.

Armed with the relevant evidence we parked at Bridgend, the only car there. By the parking space there was a large information board welcoming walkers and detailing times of stalking but with no specific info on the quarry we had in mind so for what we were stalking it looked like we were on our own.

First challenge was to squeeze through gate designed to keep large mammals in (or out?) which seems to include (along with the usual suspects) a moderately sized human carrying a moderately sized rucksack without taking said rucksack off. Much breathing in and shoving body into tight corner produced desired outcome but on the return I couldn't be bothered with the breathing in malarkay and took the rucksack off seeing as it was coming off in a few minutes anyway to get into the car.

Once through the gate it was easy walking on the good track heading west to Dalbreac.

Track crosses a bridge over the tumbling Allt a' Bhogair
DSC04038-large.JPG

Strathconon Corbetts Sgurr a' Mhuillin & Meallan nan Uan ahead
DSC04039-large.JPG

Obligatory gorse shot
DSC04040-large.JPG

Just before first house you turn left on to this hill track heading south
DSC04041-large.JPG

The main object of the day was to follow in the panther's tracks but that didn't preclude a little off piste manouvering to get a photo.

Me going off track in the interests of photography (M's pic)
11145063_10153269705973788_5526050113158780045_o-large.jpg

The shot I was after
DSC04043-largel.JPG

Distant track climbing up to the col between Carn na Coinnich and Carn Uilleim
DSC04042-large.JPG

The plantation of pine on the left had taken a battering and many trees were down - their root base exposed and surprisingly shallow.

Shallow they may be but roots with the strength to lift large rocks from the ground
DSC04064-large.JPG

Could this be evidence of large cat activity? We didn't know. :eh:

After the fallen trees we spotted the large metal feeder which we recognised as a panther clue - and right on cue there was a stag looking warily at us as we approached. He seemed not overly impressed by our presence but reacted less hysterically than the look out lapwing posted to warn all lapwing colleagues (of which there were several) of possible impending danger. He kept up an agitated distress call and much manic flying about until we were well clear of lapwing chick territory. It was obvious there were nests nearby and I did wonder if all this agitation might be counterproductive as it made it very obvious to potential predators where easy pickings might be had. Lower down the glen there were cuckoos calling - a sound of early summer that has accompanied the start of all my recent walks.

The track reached a ford with more water than we liked the look of so we diverted upstream to cross and for a time lost the track, picking our way over grassy ground until we found it again. On the way back we were more gung ho and crossed straight over, keeping boots dry with no problem.

Where's that track gone?
DSC04045-large.JPG

Looking back from grassy section
DSC04044-large.JPG

Signs of buildings here - was this a clearance village?
DSC04046-large.JPG

As we gained height the track steepened with the Fannichs now in view to the north
DSC04047-largel.JPG

Zoomed to Fannichs
DSC04048-large.JPG

Whenever we came across mud on the track we looked for prints. There were many of the cloven hoofed variety but little that conclusively suggested homo sapiens had passed that way and certainly nothing to suggest feline activity. Is it possible that like her smaller cousin the Black Panther is nearing extinction in these parts? But we had seen documented evidence including photographs indicating a recent sighting on this very hill so we continued still hopeful of a sighting for ourselves.

Trig point of Carn na Coinnich now visible
DSC04050-large.JPG

As per instructions we left the track near its highest point and dodged our way across a section of small pools and peat hags heading in the direction of a faint grassy track to the left of the larger snow patch on the ridge ahead.

DSC04051-large.JPG

The top of the long sprawling hill is a wet lumpy area which doesn't become any firmer/dryer the further over you go. In an effort to avoid the peat hags I skirted north but with the benefit of hindsight don't recommend that and on the return we took a more direct line keeping to the south of the peat hags. You don't avoid all of them that way but it was a quicker route than going up.

Having said that the boots were still dry and mud-free as we approached the trig point on its rocky plinth. I walked stealthily as this was a hot spot for panther activity with feline sounds having been recorded here not many weeks ago. But were we too late? Probably.

Summit trig
DSC04054-large.JPG

Approaching with stealth (M's zoomed shot)
11289431_10153269705668788_4964248966369822818_o-large.jpg

Second stalker cautiously bringing up the rear
DSC04055-large.JPG

We climbed up to the highest point to have a good look
DSC04060-large.JPG

But no sign of life - feline or otherwise
DSC04061-largel.JPG

North west across summit plateau to Strathconon Corbetts
DSC04057-largel.JPG

Zoomed to Fannichs (M's pic)
11257879_10153269706263788_4777905533535193478_o-large.jpg

South west to Strathfarrars
DSC04062-largel.JPG

A lot of snow for late May (M's pic)
11270436_10153269705183788_4153902052814082297_o-large.jpg

South east over Loch Orrin to distant Beauly Firth
DSC04059-largel.JPG

The wind was gusting strongly so we crouched down at the foot of the summit rock for lunch enjoying the views to the south.

On the way down at about the point we were again being scolded by anxious lapwings I noticed a pair of eagles soaring above the glen. I stood still and watched them moving closer and was then treated to a spectacular aerial display in which one closed wings and dropped like a missile - not heading for the ground but heading straight for the other and then cutting off the power of the dive just in time to gently touch the back of its mate. They would then fly together before repeating the stunt. It was magical to watch and I took it to be a courtship display to strengthen the bond between them. You would think by late May they would already have eggs to incubate or chicks to feed - but these two were obviously not too busy sitting on eggs or hunting to take time out for some fun as well.

So although there were no cat sightings on our walk we were well compensated by cuckoos, lapwings and eagles - and if you're puzzled by the feline references all will be explained by the following link which is what prompted us to head for this hill in the first place.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50369

Many thanks to Black Panther for her clear directions which we followed closely and for her photos which are far better than ours! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Stalking the panther on Carn na Coinnich

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Here's a link showing what the eagles were doing - except the two I saw had a bit of dive bombing going on as well. It was so mesmerising I couldn't take my eyes off them to faff with camera - and without a different lens it would just have been a blur.

dogplodder

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri May 22, 2015 6:14 pm

I did this walk recently too after taking incentive from Blackpanthers report!! We got 'chased' by the Lapwings too. A nice wee local hill. What next BP?! :wink: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby BlackPanther » Fri May 22, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm so glad that my report was useful!!! :D :D :D Great read! I'm sure now people will cue up this Graham :wink: It has become a cat hot spot...

Sadly, that day I was too far away from Strathconnon to be seen from CnC... I was actually meowing like crazy on Loch Tay Munros!

SAVAGEALICE wrote:What next BP?! :wink:

Well, quite a lot to be honest. I had a hectic week and absolutely no time to post anything... Still to come are:
3 different new Grahams
Creise & Meall a'Bhuiridh
2 M's from Loch Tay area
A visit to gannet colony
...and tomorrow we are heading for a local Corbett!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 22, 2015 10:02 pm

dogplodder wrote:Here's a link showing what the eagles were doing - except the two I saw had a bit of dive bombing going on as well. It was so mesmerising I couldn't take my eyes off them to faff with camera - and without a different lens it would just have been a blur.

Wow, thanks for this. An awesome vid. I've never even seen an eagle yet, let alone observed this kind of aerobatic display.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dogplodder » Sat May 23, 2015 10:34 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:I did this walk recently too after taking incentive from Blackpanthers report!! We got 'chased' by the Lapwings too.

Must use a lot of energy getting so stressed with everyone who passes. :o
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Wow, thanks for this. An awesome vid. I've never even seen an eagle yet, let alone observed this kind of aerobatic display.

Get yourself up to Strathconon and see these two. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 28, 2015 11:43 am

BlackPanther wrote:I'm so glad that my report was useful!!! :D :D :D Great read! I'm sure now people will cue up this Graham :wink:

A great wee hill - thanks for the pointer! :D
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland