walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wonderful Return to the Great Herdsman

A Wonderful Return to the Great Herdsman

by jupe1407 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 23/05/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1254m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A Wonderful Return to the Great Herdsman

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Hey Jupe. Brilliant photos. I love the Buachaille been up a few times and I agree why isn't that one the munro instead of the wee lump at the end. For parking If doing the whole ridge I always park at the car park you end up at on the long walk back to the road. (the one with the piper) That means you do the traffic dodging at the beginning of the walk when your fresh.
Sunset tripper

Postby jupe1407 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Hey Jupe. Brilliant photos. I love the Buachaille been up a few times and I agree why isn't that one the munro instead of the wee lump at the end. For parking If doing the whole ridge I always park at the car park you end up at on the long walk back to the road. (the one with the piper) That means you do the traffic dodging at the beginning of the walk when your fresh.

Thanks ST!

I've never actually seen the Piper, i'd just assume he'd be doing his thing in one of the massive car parks further into the glen. The walk back was reasonably quick from car park to car park thankfully :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 28, 2015 11:12 am

Been wondering what the snow in the corrie was like as waiting to do these two. Your photos are great! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jupe1407 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:36 pm

dogplodder wrote:Been wondering what the snow in the corrie was like as waiting to do these two. Your photos are great! :D

Thanks Dogplodder

The only problematic snow is a thick cornice right at exit onto the bealach. On Saturday it was fairly steep section of maybe 7-8 metres, but with nice deep footprints to make use of. There were no other problems with snow on the ridge other than a few easily avoidable sections.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland