walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Muick and Dubh Loch

Loch Muick and Dubh Loch

Postby KatTai » Sun May 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Date walked: 24/05/2015

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 19.44 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

OH was away to work today so decided to head away early as well and walk along Loch Muick and across to Dubh Loch. We started the walk at around 8:30am, taking the route to the right where the loch path split to go along the easier route. I did consider going the more scenic way, but with one dog with arthritis I decided against it. We reached the first beach and the dogs were keen to go swimming, but I wasn't falling into that trap again and the swimming toy remained in my bag.

1.jpg

We passed the big house and where the path forked I took the right track to go along to Dubh Loch. The dogs took the left which would have taken them to the beach, but they soon came running when they realised I was going a different way! Following the track I could see the waterfall in the distance.

12.jpg

Reaching the waterfall I looked for a place to cross. I hate using stones to cross water and I couldn't see a good way of getting across that wouldn't result in soggy shoes, so I opted to take off my shoes and socks and get wet feet instead. It was worth it, as while I was sat drying my feet a little wren joined us.

16.jpg
Wren

Feet dry and shoes back on, we continued on to find the loch, eventually getting a glimpse of it behind a corner. It was raining at this point so I tucked the camera away. The path around the loch was boggy in places, but it was dry enough to get around or cross on stones easily enough and we made it round to the beach on the other side. Much to the dogs disappointment, the water was very shallow around the beaches and I couldn't throw the toy far enough out so they would actually have to swim for it! But it was a nice quiet spot to stop for lunch! The rain had stopped at this point and the sun was back out so the camera could be brought out again

22.jpg

24.jpg

We started heading back towards Loch Muick, this time crossing the waterfall without having to take my shoes off, and soon the loch was in view.

28.jpg

We rejoined the path around the loch and returned the same way, the dogs getting to swim on the way back now I could throw the toy into deep enough water for them to actually swim in!

39.jpg

Very enjoyable walk, and a different walk to go on at Loch Muick. Also think I need to invest in the 12 month car parking pass as I think I'd get my moneys worth from it!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Loch Muick and Dubh Loch

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Wonderful, what a great walk in its own right. 8) There is no need to include any munros! I bet the dogs loved the splashing!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby KatTai » Mon May 25, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm sure the dogs prefer a walk with water than a walk with a Munro, and unless there is a serious Noah-style flood problem there isn't much swimming to be had on the top of a Munro! Fly's Munro days are pretty much over now anyway (might manage one more), I should have checked the distance of this walk first but I didn't and it was a bit much for her so lesson learned for me - check distances in future before selecting a walk Fly is coming along on!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Nice one, some lovely images. Its a wonderful walk.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby paulfitz1592 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Great report.

Out of interest, if you can remember, do you think camping at the beach of Loch Dubh would be a good spot? Thinking of camping there before doing the 4 White Mounth Munros but it's hard to tell without visiting if location would be suitable. Go on the assumption the weather has been dry and will stay dry, big assumption, I know.

Thanks for any assistance in advance!
paulfitz1592
Munro compleatist

Munros:144   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:16

Postby dogplodder » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:05 pm

That was my route of descent a few years back so it was good to see it again. Love the last one of the dogs in the water! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 pm

paulfitz1592 wrote:Great report.

Out of interest, if you can remember, do you think camping at the beach of Loch Dubh would be a good spot? Thinking of camping there before doing the 4 White Mounth Munros but it's hard to tell without visiting if location would be suitable. Go on the assumption the weather has been dry and will stay dry, big assumption, I know.

Thanks for any assistance in advance!

From memory there were grassy patches around the beach end of the loch on the other side of the burn so I'd have thought they'd be somewhere to camp on or close to the beach if it is dry, if not it could be a bit boggy

dogplodder wrote:That was my route of descent a few years back so it was good to see it again. Love the last one of the dogs in the water! :D
:)

I'm planning on using this as a descent from doing the two of the White Mounth I've still to do (plus repeating Lochnagar), really looking forward to it! Was wanting to do it last year but never had the right weather on my days off because t is one that I want to do in nice weather! More days off now though so fingers crossed!
KatTai
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland