walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 NW, 2 SW from the Linn of Dee (walk & cycle)

2 NW, 2 SW from the Linn of Dee (walk & cycle)

Postby Dommie » Mon May 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Beinn Bhrotain, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar), Monadh Mòr

Date walked: 25/05/2015

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 52.8 km

Ascent: 2000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The previous night was spent in the Linn of Dee car park. Parking costs £2.

The adventure started with cycling from the car park at 7 am. Just follow river Dee, the view is really nice. The road is good for cycling but a mountain bike is recommended (reason I am saying is because I have a road bike, hehe). At the next junction after the White bridge do not cross the river, just turn West, to the direction of the ruin. The house may provide shelter in case of bad rain. I kept cycling an additional ~ 2 km, dropped the bike off where there is a ford and a wee bridge some 10 m uphill. The road is OK to cycle on for at least 2 km with average skills though. I dropped it off because the wind was hard and also was thinking this is a good point to aim from the last Munro. Total cycling up to this point is 10.1 km, ascent is about 150 m and took me about an hour.
From there I started walking, just follow the road as it goes. The river Dee is to be crossed at some point, which was easy but in case of elevated water level this may be an issue. Follow the road, go by a historic building. At some point the road should turn to the South but I did not find it so just followed my compass. The first Munro, An Sgarsoch was reached by 10:30, the 2nd one, Carn an Fhidhleir by 11:45. From here go down to NNE, Monadh Mor is 10 km away. You can go go by river Fersit, which is a good place to have some rest and food. Keep walking to NNE, climb and climb and climb. The terrain is rubbish, very wet but the higher you go the rocky it is, which turn entirely rocky at around 1000 m altitude. Monadh More was reached by 16:05. From here, there is actually a path to follow, which is a big help indeed. Beinn Bhrotain was reached an hour later. From there I just set the compass to the direction I left my bike. There is sometimes some path to follow, in general its a very good, easy and nice descent, was snowy as well. I was at my bike by 19:00 ish, enjoyed the view during the descent. Eventually I cycled back to the car, which felt refreshing.
In general, due to the lack of path to follow (or my ability to find) over the 90% of the walking part this was a very difficult and tiring walk.
Hope this helps.
Attachments

Linn of Dee 4 for walkhighland.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Dommie on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dommie
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:3   Donalds:6

Re: 2 North, 2 South from the Linn of Dee (walk & cycle)

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 26, 2015 4:02 pm

That's a big day, in rough terrain! Nice one.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: 2 North, 2 South from the Linn of Dee (walk & cycle)

Postby Dommie » Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 pm

With time, I will remember the nice parts only :)
Dommie
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:3   Donalds:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland