walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting filthy around Glenfinnan

Getting filthy around Glenfinnan

Postby simon-b » Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 22/05/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Andy and I had a day on the hills above Loch Quoich immediately after returning from our five day adventure on Skye, but the next day, Thursday 21, brought pretty dismal weather to the West Highlands. We both decided to chase the sun eastwards. He went to climb Mayar and Driesh, but I had a day off in Inverness.

22/5/15: Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan

2015-05-22_0759 232km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 23.3 km
Ascent: 1451 m
Time: 8.5 h

Friday morning, and Andy picked me up in Corpach, and drove to Glenfinnan. On pulling my rucksack out of the rear door of his car, I also managed to drag out various items of his clothing which he'd left on the back seat, and they fell into a puddle and the mud in the car park :oops:. Sorry, Andy!

We got on our boots and set off under Glenfinnan Viaduct, and soon we were stomping along the glen.

P5220189.JPG
Passing through Glen Finnan

After a while, we were heading up Druim Coire a' Bheithe.

P5220192.JPG
Looking back to Glen Finnan

Then it was on towards the first of the two Munros.

P5220194.JPG
Moving towards Sgurr Thuilm

On the summit, we were in and out of the clouds, with brief views.

P5220197.JPG
Loch Arkaig from Sgurr Thuilm

Moving along the ridge between the two Munros was probably the best part of the walk; at least we were below the clag for a good while.

P5220199.JPG
Walking along the ridge towards Sgurr nan Coireachan

It was an entertaining little pull up to the second Munro's summit, but it wasn't going to come out of the mist.

P5220201.JPG
Andy on Sgurr nan Coireachan

The route leaving Sgurr nan Coireachan's summit heading SSE was an interesting but would have been more so had there been much of a view. Lower down, things got very wet and muddy. My full length gaiters had come to grief earlier on the trip, so I was only wearing an ankle pair, and my trousers were getting splattered. Serves me right for what I'd done to Andy's clothes at the car park! Gaor Bheinn means hill of noise according to WH, but Cameron McNeish says it may mean filthy hill. On this day, it was its road-to-the-isles neighbours that deserved that title :lol: .

P5220202.JPG
Heading back down to Glen Finnan

Back down at glen level, we both agreed we'd like to go for something to eat in Glenfinnan.

P5220204.JPG
Glenfinnan Viaduct

The only places serving food looked a bit upmarket, and I felt a little self conscious about the state of my trousers. When we saw the price on the menu, we made a quick about turn, jumped into Andy's car and headed back towards Corpach and Fort William. I still had Gulvain to climb in the area, but Andy had already done it. Right on cue Martin (Fife Flyer) texted, saying he was heading for the Eastern Mamores next day. That gave Andy something new to do, while my own mind was set on Gaor Bheinn. I texted Karen (kmai1961) to see if she fancied joining me, but she'd already signed up for the Mamores party.

23/5/15: Gulvain (Gaor Bheinn)

2015-05-23_0704 217km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 21.8 km
Ascent: 1321 m
Time: 6.8 h

I believe it's good for anyone who enjoys the hills to experience both walking with companions and going alone. It was mainly as a solo venture that I began climbing Munros, but this was my first Scottish mountain walk on my own after ten with friends. So I set off walking along Gleann Fionnlighe, ready to be at one with the hills.

P5230205.JPG
Na h-Uamhachan from Gleann Fionnlighe

P5230208.JPG
Moving along the glen towards Gaor Bheinn

As I began to ascend, I could see the high hills further east were clear, so Martin, Karen and Andy would be getting views. But the west was starting to get cloudy.

P5230212.JPG
Ascending, looking over to the Ben

Soon I was into the clag. But as I approached the trig point, things became more clear, with partial inversions.

P5230216.JPG
Trig point, but not the summit

It was a nice ridge walk to the true summit...

P5230221.JPG
Approaching the summit

...and back again.

P5230226.JPG
Returning along the ridge from the summit

While descending, I met a couple coming up; the first people I'd encountered all day.

P5230229.JPG
Coming back to Gleann Fhionnlighe

The following day was to be my last full day of this Highland trip, and the forecast wasn't too promising. So, back at the car, it felt good to have conquered the three road-to-the-isles Munros.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Getting filthy around Glenfinnan

Postby AJNicholls » Wed May 27, 2015 10:48 am

Cheers Simon. I've washed my clothes since then! :)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed May 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Well done to you both, that some amount of miles you both clocked up :clap: :clap:
Will head out to Glenfinnan (with my bike) before I go on the Jacobite train :wink:
See you next time you escape from your work :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby simon-b » Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Cheers Andy, my washing machine's been working overtime too.

Thanks Martin. A few miles clocked up on our cars as well as our boots!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland