walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Week - Day 4

Skye Week - Day 4

Postby NevJB » Fri May 29, 2015 10:58 am

Route description: Boreraig and Suisnish: the Cleared Coast

Date walked: 12/05/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 290m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday 12 May 2015

Suisnish and Boreraig

Overnight the wind howled – we could hear it lifting the tiles on the roof and it almost seemed as if the house was shaking. So you can guess, although the weather was ‘improving’, it was still far too windy to venture up high. Paddy suggested a [mostly] coastal walk to take in the one-time crofting villages of Suisnish and Boreraig. The crofters had been evicted from the land by Lord MacDonald during the ‘clearances’ of the nineteenth century – apparently they [the crofters] were not using the land to its fullest extent – for which read, I can get more money from sheep than the rents you pay. Another glorious episode in our nation’s past. I would like to think that we now live in more enlightened times, but I fear not. Money and profit always seem to speak louder than the well-being of a community (think Donald Trump). Sorry, better back to the walking.

Rather than start at the old church cemetery we opted for the car park at Camas Malag; it all boils down to whether or not you want to walk the road first or last. It had been sunny (ish), but a hefty shower took away our next major decision; whether to wear over trousers or not. The rain didn’t last long so it made the walk to Suisnish very pleasant.

26_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_1.jpg
Dave & Neill - note the angle of the straps on Neill's pack

27_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_3.jpg

At Suisnish we left the track for a footpath to skirt around the walled remains as lambing was in full swing. We were treated to a display of ‘Two Men and their Dogs’ as they separated ewes that had had their lambs from those that hadn’t – or so it seemed to us, they could have been doing something quite different. Anyway, it was absorbing; I never ceased to be amazed as to how clever [and well trained] the dogs are – brilliant stuff.

28_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_5.jpg
Two Men and Their Dogs

‘Around the corner’ of Carn Dearg we had our first glimpse of the crags along the coast – beautiful – a mixture of cliff, waterfalls and shoreline. We stopped for lunch below the crags enjoying the views and the warmth of the sun out of the wind. Think we saw a couple of choughs nesting high on the crag, but cannot be 100% sure as they could have been hooded crows. I was hoping that another sea eagle would glide into view, but no such luck.

29_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_8.jpg

30_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_7.jpg

31_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_9.jpg

31_Suisnish-Borenaig Walk_Neill_6.jpg

On to Boreraig and a look at the ruined crofts.

32_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_11.jpg

33_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_12.jpg

Then a steady climb by Allt na Pairte before descending to the grave yard at Cill Chriosd with a good view towards Bla Bheinn along the way.

35_Suisnish-Boreraig Walk_15.jpg

Finally, we made our way along the road to Kilbride and Torrin before turning off on to the track leading to Camas Malag. This was my least favourite part of the walk - walks along roads always seem to go on for ever, especially at the end of the day.

I ‘phoned Paddy that evening to see about the prospects for Wednesday. It looked good and we were to meet him at the Glen Brittle turning next morning.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland