walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Classic T walk and a manicure.

Classic T walk and a manicure.

Postby dektasker » Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 30/05/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1228m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First walk since the fracture way back in January and what a way to ease back in to walking. It started off really well with a young stag meeting us near the underpass on the route up.

https://flic.kr/p/tBSi6Y

The views on the way up are breath taking and we were very lucky with the weather.

From there it’s a nice and gentle climb up to the bealach at Coire an Dothaid. The ground is a bit boggy in places, a bit loose and the ascent steepens quite a bit just below the bealach.

The views near the bealach and on the way up through and across the glen are marvellous.

From here it s straight choice left or right. We went right (slightly longer) to Beinn Dorain and took the less direct route west of Carn Sassunaich which travels under the summit. Much admit the drop from this path is very vertical and with the wet path and rocks it did have its moments.

After a break we followed the good path down past Carn Sasunnaich (the Englishman's Cairn) and returned back to the bealach. The T path is easy to spot high up but once down at ground level it is lost in the boggy patches. We transverse across northeast to Beinn an Dothaidh and then headed directly up towards the summit. Again the views are awesome and not a huge amount of effort. (funny how you say that afterwards).

Boab had asked if I had cut my toe nails on the way back down. Of course I hadn’t and when i took the boots and socks off, the nails were bleeding.
My daughter was up set when she seen me using her manicure set on my feet after the shower. Could have been worse but I refrained from using her polish.

There’s a few more photos here on flickr https://www.flickr.com/gp/67862513@N03/4i4sFa
dektasker

Munros:275   Corbetts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland