walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torridon is such a diva! In 4 days Eighe, Alligin, Liathach

Torridon is such a diva! In 4 days Eighe, Alligin, Liathach

by Mancunian » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 13/05/2015

Time taken: 96 hours

Distance: 70 km

Ascent: 4500m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Torridon is such a diva! In 4 days Eighe, Alligin, Liath

Postby RiverSong » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:49 am

Really enjoyed this report, what a fantastic adventure you all had. Well done all of you in coping with the loss of the whiskey!! not many Scotsmen would have managed to continue without it!!

Loved looking at your photos, especially the second one as you can see my house!! (if you zoom in!!)

Good luck for your next visit to these shores, looking forward to reading the report already. :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:46 pm

What a 4 days - just fabulous. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 am

A great story, and the pictures are excellent, very atmospheric with the gloom. A truly intrepid hike, and I particularly liked your camping spot behind Beinn Alligin. :clap: :clap:
I did however suffer some mild but brief emotional distress when reading about the loss of the whisky and then the can of beer. You lads need to work on that aspect of your logistics... :lol: :lol:
PS Is Thomas available for hire for general Sherpa style activities? :wink: :wink:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Mancunian » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:48 pm

RiverSong wrote:Really enjoyed this report, what a fantastic adventure you all had. Well done all of you in coping with the loss of the whiskey!! not many Scotsmen would have managed to continue without it!!

Loved looking at your photos, especially the second one as you can see my house!! (if you zoom in!!)

Good luck for your next visit to these shores, looking forward to reading the report already. :D

Cheers RiverSong. The loss of the whisky was pretty serious but last year we lost a friend on A'Mhaigdean and only found her after more than one hour when she cried for help. And on that trip I also lost my camera. So we are used to loosing stuff in the hills :wink:
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Mancunian » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:00 am

2manyYorkies wrote:A great story, and the pictures are excellent, very atmospheric with the gloom. A truly intrepid hike, and I particularly liked your camping spot behind Beinn Alligin. :clap: :clap:
I did however suffer some mild but brief emotional distress when reading about the loss of the whisky and then the can of beer. You lads need to work on that aspect of your logistics... :lol: :lol:
PS Is Thomas available for hire for general Sherpa style activities? :wink: :wink:

Cheers 2manyYorkies. Glad you liked the report. But you are completely right that we have to work on quite a few aspects of our logistics. Less bread for example. More whisky. The two remaining bottles lasted till day 2 with rationing. But as mentioned before (i think) loosing a bottle of whisky isnt as bad as loosing a girl in the mountains (happened last year) and although we found her again she wasnt very happy about that :shock: Its easy to forget about a lost bottle and I'd rather prefer that over an angry girl. :lol:
Thomas would love to go on more adventures like that. Payment would be a dram whisky on each mountain :lol:
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby Harko » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Well done Mancunian,

That was a great trip you had and a really well written report - it was an amusing read, I was chuckling away to myself when you lost your whisky bottle, ha ha!!

Sounds like you had a brilliant time - do come back here soon, and tell us all about your next adventure.

Harko
Harko
Stravaiging

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mancunian » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Harko wrote:Well done Mancunian,

That was a great trip you had and a really well written report - it was an amusing read, I was chuckling away to myself when you lost your whisky bottle, ha ha!!

Sounds like you had a brilliant time - do come back here soon, and tell us all about your next adventure.
Harko

Thanks Harko. I definitely will come back! No worries. That will be May 2016 at the earliest. But before that I'll have to buy a new bottle. Only question: a decent one or a cheap one? But chances are that I'll loose something else next time. :lol:
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:33 pm

Although you only manage one trip report a year it's definitely worth waiting for.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby edjh » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 am

Fantastic report, thanks. And inspirational.
Complete newbies, we fly over from jersey and to make most of our money and time we are hand baggage only so no poles tents gas or crampons! Good weather prayed for.
My helpful contributions are a string shopping bag weighted with rocks to cool beer and on previous golfing trips have had great times in the old bridge inn in aviemore for good ale food and live music. =}

Kudos.
edjh
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Well done, great adventure. Only done one of those classic three but it's given me food for thought. That canister of Whisky would have hit me on the back of the head before it hit the ground if I dropped it :lol: :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Fantastic report and amazing pics. As we all know... and I'm sure Thomas is aware - 60 is the new 40!!
Really enjoyed that read and then went through all your pics for good measure.
Haste ye back. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:42 pm

A superb read - while the rain is battering on the window and the temperature outside is 7 degrees! Fantastic photos to document your trip.

Great that you had such a wonderful day on Beinn Eighe - it's such a fantastic hill. In case you are interested I descended Morrison's Gully in summer conditions - here is the walk report - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45124. I would not recommend it!

I'm intending to do Beinn an Eoin this year. Would you recommend your descent route as a good ascent? I would quite like to try it and then walk the ridge westwards and descend on the usual WH ascent route.

What are you planning for next year?
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Mancunian » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:02 pm

mrssanta wrote:Although you only manage one trip report a year it's definitely worth waiting for.

Many thanks. Good to know that I have at least one faithful reader :wink: Check back for the 2016 report in a year.

edjh wrote:Fantastic report, thanks. And inspirational.
Complete newbies, we fly over from jersey and to make most of our money and time we are hand baggage only so no poles tents gas or crampons! Good weather prayed for.
My helpful contributions are a string shopping bag weighted with rocks to cool beer and on previous golfing trips have had great times in the old bridge inn in aviemore for good ale food and live music. =}
Kudos.

Sounds like you know how to make the most out of your time in Scotland. Cheers.

Beaner001 wrote:Well done, great adventure. Only done one of those classic three but it's given me food for thought. That canister of Whisky would have hit me on the back of the head before it hit the ground if I dropped it :lol: :lol:

:clap: :clap: Haha! A real Scotsman wouldnt have dropped it anyway, right?
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby Mancunian » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:53 am

AnnieMacD wrote:A superb read - while the rain is battering on the window and the temperature outside is 7 degrees! Fantastic photos to document your trip.

Great that you had such a wonderful day on Beinn Eighe - it's such a fantastic hill. In case you are interested I descended Morrison's Gully in summer conditions - here is the walk report - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45124. I would not recommend it!

I'm intending to do Beinn an Eoin this year. Would you recommend your descent route as a good ascent? I would quite like to try it and then walk the ridge westwards and descend on the usual WH ascent route.

What are you planning for next year?

7 Degrees? Now thats cold. I just came home from 2 days at the Baltic sea and we had a warm 26 degrees. Such a contrast to Scotland. I had read your report about Morrisons Gully way back in August last year and was impressed by the steepness of the gully. Must have been dangerous to climb down there right in the middle of nowhere. Respect for this trip. We never even considered climbing down the gully mostly because of your report.

Regarding your question about an ascent route to Beinn an Eoin: I would not recommend it to anyone without experience in walking over pathless terrain. But when I consider your experience in your scramble down the gully I'd say you will manage the long walk from Talladale to Beinn an Eoin. It took us 2h 30min from the summit to our car in Talladale and we paused for at least 15min at the waterfall. The ascent will take a bit longer though. There are a few difficulties with this route:
  • it is a pathless route and the ground is in places quite boggy and in others places you'll find high heather which can make going a bit difficult in places especially lower down near Talladale
  • near the gorge you'll find a few gullies that you'll have to cross. It's nothing serious just a few meters down and up again.
  • There is a new fence in place around the Old Mill Highland Lodge that prevents access to the area south of the lodge on the left hand side of the gorge from the road. The fence isnt on the OS50 or OS25 maps. but there is a gate behind the lodge close to the burn Allt a Choire Sliabh. Once you are on the other side its just following the fence, and climbing up the slope south of the lodge. Dont try to do this close to the gorge, because its very steep there. Maybe just have a look at our GPS track, it shows a possible route.
  • The ascent up Beinn an Eoin is probably the easiest if you follow the burn Allt a Chaoruinn from the Talladale waterfall (you must see this, its impressive) all the way up to the northern end of the ridge. from there its an easy walk. We descended further south and although it was manageable it was steep in places.
  • Do not consider crossing the Talladale river, its too wide and/or deep.

Whatever you decide, have fun on your trip to Beinn an Eoin. Its a nice corbett with a great view.
Our plans for next year? So far we have no idea. While I favour the places with lots of summits and ridge walks my mate favours the remote places with no roads or buildings for miles. So my favourite area would be the Mamores or Glen Etive.

All the best,
Stephan
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby El_Catador » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 am

Great read! Really enjoyed that and looking forward to next years report... :clap:
El_Catador
Mountaineer

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland