walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet, wet, wet

Wet, wet, wet

Postby kmai1961 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:16 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 05/06/2015

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 955m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

set off, 10:00
summit, 14:00
car, 17:15

with Jimmy. Met at Loch Fyne around 9:30; the rain was pishing down, so we waited around for a half-hour or so, to see if it would clear, as it was forecast to do. It sort of did, so we threw on the kit and headed up the glen. I don't think it was too bad at first, I do remember taking my jacket off at one point, but it didn't stay off for long.

It was a long slog up the hill, and there were very few views (over two days, this one and the next -- Seana Braigh -- I took only 16 photos in total, and about half of those are down to Jimmy taking multiple summit selfies w/o realizing it). Finding the top of Beinn Bhuidhe wasn't easy in the mist -- I don't think it would have been all that easy even without the mist. It's one of those typical Loch Lomond / Arrochar Alps hills that many people seem to think are easy (maybe that's just because they're the closest ones to those of us living on this side of the country?): rough terrain, either steep up or down, no in-between, lots of knobbly knolls, and very disorientating. But we got there in the end, took a quick photo, and headed back down. The rain did finally stop, and the cloud lifted somewhat, giving us a few views down the glens -- at least we could now see where we were meant to be!

The long walk back up the glen was just that -- long -- but pleasant enough, as it gave us a chance to dry off before getting back to the cars and driving north (for 4 hours!!**) to Ullapool.

** Long as the drive was, there were some really lovely sections, where I'd never been before: from Inveraray across to Dalmally held stunning views over Cruachan & friends, including some impressive views of the dam. The single track through Glen Orchy was long, but there were some very nice falls along the river. As it was a (by then) a nice evening, Glencoe offered its usual awesomeness, and the bit from Drumnadrochit over toward Beauly, which was also new to me, was nice as well, with good views to the north, including Ben Wyvis.
6203_down the glen.jpg
down the glen, just after we started to ascend

6205_selfie.jpg
summit selfie -- rather appalling conditions

6207_the top.jpg
glimpse of the top once we'd started down

6209_glimpse of glen.jpg
clearing somewhat as we headed down
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:95   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland