walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A brief encounter on Buachaille Etive Beag.

A brief encounter on Buachaille Etive Beag.

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 07/06/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day one of our holiday and we didn't do too bad, weather wise, considering the the un seasonal conditions we've all had, especially Scotland.
We decided to have a bash at Buachaille Etive Beag because I needed to put my list right (I thought I'd done these two years ago but realised I'd made a mistake, must have been dreaming) and they are the ideal pair to break the legs in for a weeks Munro-ing.
The forecast on the day was a bit iffy but for it to improve so decided to go for it.

We arrived at the Beehive carpark on the A82 and met a group of people who were attending a Munro Compleation day, one face in particular was familiar but I wasn't sure so it was a case of "I'm sure I recognise you, are you
The Rodmeister etc etc? and it was, brilliant, its nice to put faces to names, Rod was very welcoming we spent a bit of time having a natter and we crossed paths throughout our time on the mountain. Great to meet you Rod, thanks, and maybe meet again on a mountain sometime soon.

The walk from the car park up to the bealach is nice and steady, the path is good all the way and remains so throughout the walk.
DSC00538.JPG
Looking back down to the road, height is gained quickly on the good path.

DSC00541.JPG
Looking up the Glen.

Its a good mountain to do if the clouds are down, navigation wise there's no problem finding your way, but, that said, if its claggy you'd miss some really special views, views we were lucky to have the higher we got.

At the bealach the decision is which way to go first, left for Stob Coire Raineach or right for Stob Dubh its as easy as that. We opted for right to do the higher one first and we also wanted to get the view into Glen Etive whilst the weather was good.
So up we went on a good path at a steady gradient, arrived at the cairn on the 902m top and got our first proper view of Stob Dubh and the fantastic mountains all around. From here there's a lovely ridge walk to the summit.
DSC00542.JPG
Denise on the 902m top.

DSC00543.JPG
The view along the ridge to Stob Dubh.

DSC00544.JPG
Buachaille Etive Mor.

DSC00545.JPG
Cloud over Ben Nevis.

DSC00546.JPG
Looking west.

DSC00547.JPG
Bidean nam Bian.

DSC00548.JPG
Aonach Eagach.

We met Rod and friend Martin on the way over to Stob Dubh.
DSC00549.JPG
Rod and Martin, they were on their way from Stob Dubh to Stob Coire Raineach.

On the summit we were getting views over to The Mamores, Buachaille Etive Mor, the Black Mount, The Glen Etive Munros, Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgremhach and the Aonach Eagach Ridge, the clouds were low further north so we could'nt see the Ben.
DSC00550.JPG
Denise on Stob Dubh.

DSC00552.JPG
Looking into Glen Etive.

DSC00553.JPG
Stob Coire Sgremhach and Bidean nam Bian

DSC00554.JPG
Aonach Eagach again.

DSC00555.JPG
Great view point.

DSC00558.JPG
Stob Coire Raineach just visible in the distance, Buachaille Etive Mor on the right.

DSC00559.JPG
The Compleation Party zoomed from the slopes of the 902m top, a good crowd.

From the summit we went back along the ridge and down to the bealach and then started the walk up to Stob Coire Raineach, this was much easier than it looked from afar and we were soon at the summit. Again the views were something special, we were lucky to have these views, there were showers all around us but we only got the odd spot of rain all day, great.
DSC00561.JPG
Denise on Stob Coire Raineach

DSC00562.JPG
Stob Dubh, left, Bidean etc, right.

DSC00564.JPG
Stob Dubh, looks a long way away.

DSC00565.JPG
Ominous looking clouds, plenty of showers all around us.

DSC00567.JPG
Aonach Eagach again, it was clear of cloud most of the day.

From the summit we returned to the bealach for the last time and met the compleatist who was quite elated at her achievement, I didn't get her name but congratulations again, well done.
From the bealach the trip back to the car park was soon accomplished, the whole outing took a smidge short of four hours but was really enjoyable and we got to meet a Walkhighlander, this is a great website.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:209   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:149
Wainwrights:214   Islands:23
Walk wish-list

Re: A brief encounter on Buachaille Etive Beag.

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:41 am

Looks a good day you got and it's good to read of someone else who enjoys meeting folk on the hill! :D
dogplodder

Munros:228   Corbetts:57
Grahams:17   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Man, Martin your quick off the mark, I cannot keep up with that :lol: It was also very nice to meet up with you and Denise, hope you got as nice weather as I did today, I picked up a wee Sub2 on way to the Pine Trees campsite at Tyndrum, excellent site and tucked into a Chip Shop Chicken Curry and Chips from the The good Food Place at Tyndrum, stayed the night and picked up 3 Corbetts today. That is some Zoom you have, impressive if that shot was from the 920m summit. I will try and not duplicate to many of your photographs, as yours are better than mine :lol: Good Luck with the rest of the week, you have targets to achieve :wink: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Some nice photos there :clap: and much better views than we had last year 8) :lol:

Rod, it looks that the Buachaille Etive Beag is your favorite meeting place :D :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:245   Corbetts:28
Grahams:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:10   Islands:1

Postby martin.h » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 am

dogplodder wrote:Looks a good day you got and it's good to read of someone else who enjoys meeting folk on the hill! :D

Hi dp, it is good to meet people on the hills, there are so many interesting people who are happy to share their day and take time out to have a natter, its nice to know most folk are friendly.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby martin.h » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:46 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Man, Martin your quick off the mark, I cannot keep up with that :lol: It was also very nice to meet up with you and Denise, hope you got as nice weather as I did today, I picked up a wee Sub2 on way to the Pine Trees campsite at Tyndrum, excellent site and tucked into a Chip Shop Chicken Curry and Chips from the The good Food Place at Tyndrum, stayed the night and picked up 3 Corbetts today. That is some Zoom you have, impressive if that shot was from the 920m summit. I will try and not duplicate to many of your photographs, as yours are better than mine :lol: Good Luck with the rest of the week, you have targets to achieve :wink: :lol:

Hi Rod, it was good to meet you too, looks like you've had a busy couple of days, pretty impressive when you add the two munros to your tally. The camera is a little Sony DSC- HX50 and it does have a decent zoom especially when you add the digi zoom to the optical.
Thanks and take care.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby martin.h » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 am

[quote="Petr Dakota"]Some nice photos there :clap: and much better views than we had last year 8) :lol:

HI petr,
Thankyou, we were lucky with the weather especially when you compare it with what it was like on Saturday 6th.
Rod mentioned he'd met you on Buachaille Etive Beag and it was through reading your reports that planted the seed to do them, its a nice mountain.
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland