walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor), Spooky Coincidence with fine views

Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor), Spooky Coincidence with fine views

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:26 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor)

Date walked: 07/06/2015

Time taken: 0.75 hours

Distance: 3.08 km

Ascent: 200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was at a Compleation celebration earlier in the day and was not ready to pass an opportunity by to add to my Sub2 tally. The Compleation to part in Glen Coe and as the weather was looking promising for a few days and the tent packed in the book the decision was made to camp at The Pine Trees at Tyndrum as there were quite a few hills there I wanted to climb, but before that this little gem just North of Bridge of Orchy was calling out to be climbed. Meall Mor stands on the West side of the A82 and you can see the top and Memorial Cairn from the road, the trickiest part of the walk is finding the right parking area especially coming from the North as you cannot see the communications mast near the road from that direction. This road has fast moving traffic so to be on the safe side I parked on the East side in a parking area also used for another Sub2 on the East side. The bottom of the ATV track to the mast is just after a bend in the road on the right hand side very easy to pass . Better to climb this hill when approaching from the South. Where I parked I had a few minutes to roadwalk before I could gain access to the hillside because of drainage ditches full of the recent rainfall. Checkout route map and climb up the way I went down :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A.JPG
Meall Mor the hill to be climbed, after negotiating the drainage ditches is was just a matter of heading on up the East shoulder, nothing too steep and to be honest I expected it to be much more waterlogged than it was
B.JPG
Beinn Dorain (right) and Beinn an Dothaidh from the East shoulder
C.JPG
Lochan na h- Achlaise
C1.JPG
and again
D.JPG
Black Mount munros from the summit cairn
E.JPG
Summit view over to Rannoch Moor
F.JPG
Monument from the cairn
G.JPG
View over towards Rannoch Moor from monument
H.JPG
Monument plaque
I.JPG
The route down to the roadside with the unoffical car parking area, easily missed if either following or being followed by vehicles. Now the spooky bit when I arrived back at home there was a PM from a fellow Walkhighlander requesting some informatiom on a hill I had climbed over two years ago, yep The Hill in question was Meall Mor (Inverness)
:crazy: :) :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Re: Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor), Spooky Coincidence with fine v

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:34 am

Looks a nice wee hill with good views. Shame it's so far from Inverness, I'd put it on my list to do in winter conditions :D

As for spooky stories, I have a few... Me & Kev, we have that thing with plane crashes...

10 April 2010, we planned to climb Ben Hope. Just as we were leaving, Kevin turned BBC News on, to check weather forecast and there it was, the news about Smolensk catastrophe. The President of my country died that day, but we still had HOPE... Spooky :shock:

21 December 1988, about 6 pm, Kevin was on his way from Cornwall to Scotland to spend Christmas with his parents. He wanted to take a break somewhere in Dumfries area, but some "gut feeling" told him to keep driving... An hour later, The Clipper Maid of the Seas fell on Lockerbie... :shock:

Hope I didn't spook you too much :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:48   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:58 am

That's quite a viewpoint, thanks for sharing. I like hearing about these little gems.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:39 pm

I like your spooky stories BP :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Mal Grey wrote:That's quite a viewpoint, thanks for sharing. I like hearing about these little gems.

If it's good weather and your passing by Mal, go for it, less than an hour top to bottom :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland