walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another dark ending at Linn of Dee

Another dark ending at Linn of Dee

Postby ancancha » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Route description: An Sgarsoch and Càrn an Fhidhleir

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar)

Date walked: 09/06/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 45 km

Ascent: 662m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch complete.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A few years ago when very new to hill / mountain walking I tired to do Braeriach from Linn of Dee. I was quite fit at the time, so not such a daft idea. I started up towards Lairig Ghru on a really nice path and then turned into the Buidheanach Burn gulley and got as far as Sgòr an Lochain Uaine. It was an interesting walk and very scenic. At Sgòr an Lochain Uaine as time was getting on decided to just go back down the way I'd come more or less. It turned into an epic battle to gee myself along to get home. My knee had started to hurt and it was getting dark :roll: Just another ten times the length of the 15th at Whitekirk and I'd be at the camp site and then only another ... come on only another to ... character building :!:

I'd really like to go back and finish the job, but this time I will ride in and out on the bike and then go up to Cairn Toul from the bothy. Concerned snow would still be an issue I decided on these tamer couple of Munros.

Duly set out albeit very late around five in the afternoon and went down for a look at the iconic rush as the Dee forces it's way through the gap

Carn an Fhidhleir linn of dee.jpg

before heading in along the track.

Reminisced my previous agony before crossing the bridge and making my way further in

Carn an Fhidhleir path to Lairg Gru.jpg

What can only be Beinn a' Ghlò made its present very obvious as I neared the junction of the two Bynach and Geldie burns

Carn an Fhidhleir to Beinn a Ghlo.jpg

Had a look at the foundation caissons of the long gone foot bridge next to the red roofed bothy and continued in along the Geldie burn which at this point is one of those Scottish rivers with big boulders in it

Carn an Fhidhleir Geilde Burn track.jpg

Looks like another bridge met it match many moons ago and was swept away

Carn an Fhidhleir washed out bridge.jpg

there's now a wooden footbridge a few metres upstream.

Forded the Allt Dhaidh Mor and carried on.

A view of the munros

Carn an Fhidhleir way out.jpg

as the Geldie burn turns into meander, but still fast flowing

Carn an Fhidhleir river meander.jpg

Spotted Geldie Lodge ruins

Carn an Fhidhleir Geilde Lodge ruin.jpg

not far to go now before I'm walking, but the Geldie Burn and the Allt Corie an t-Seilich need to be forded. Using the bike as a stability and crossing a few metres up form the main ford I made it across the Geldie dry and the Seilich is now where near as deep or intimidating.
Other reports which suggest if the Geldie is in spat that this crossing would be a show stopper aren't exaggerated :?

Had a quick look around the ruins of Geldie lodge and then took up the stalkers path

Carn an Fhidhleir Geilde Path.jpg

towards the junction to leave the bike. It's a good path and easily cycled, although I did get off at each culvert and walk across, http://www.dannymacaskill.co.uk/ would have hopped over them with ease.
Chained up the bike, not really much need as I was the only one here :!:

This is drumlin country

Carn an Fhidhleir drumlins.jpg

Made my way down to the Allt a Chaorainn

Carn an Fhidhleir allt a chaorainn.jpg

which is easily crossed, but don't expect much of a path on the other side :lol: I haulded myself up over the drumlins. Met a few frogs on the way

Carn an Fhidhleir frog.jpg

Saving grace is that summit isn't that far away and the going gets easy after about four hundred metres.

Even on the ridge up there were some nice views, the sunlight glinting off the burn and the pools surrounding it

Carn an Fhidhleir glinting pools.jpg

Looks like it is going to be a fabulous sunset

Carn an Fhidhleir sunset start.jpg

Got to the summit

Carn an Fhidhleir cairn view south.jpg

but aware of the time wasn't hanging around and quickly made my way down to the first bealach. Some very pregnant deer

Carn an Fhidhleir pregnant deer.jpg

there are certainly a lot of them around this year :!:

It's a long descent into the gulley which is a boggy peat hag

Carn an Fhidhleir down to the bealach.jpg

but it doesn't last long and it's soon up some reasonable going although quite steep terrain to the summit, taking in a quick look at the shelter on the way

Carn an Fhidhleir shelter.jpg

but no lingering, the sun is going down :shock: Not really a shock, and I'm pretty sure that on a bright night this far North at this time of year it will only be twilight and not full darkness.

The summit of An Sgarsoch

Carn an Fhidhleir An Sgarsoch cairn.jpg

and it is an fabulous sunset

An Sgarsoch sunset.jpg

Got down to a snow field and thought what a good opportunity to save time 8)
Checked out the snow and it is soft and I will easily control my descent so on my bum and slide down

Carn an Fhidhleir top of slide.jpg

Noticed a drop off and bailed out to the side, just as well as it was a fifteen to twenty feet drop

Carn an Fhidhleir slide drop off.jpg

Phew :!:

It was pretty gloomy now, so its head for the bike get the head torch on and head back, scaring a few grouse on the way.

A couple of final shots of Fhidhleir and Sgarsoch in the twilight.

Carn an Fhidhleir dark.jpg

An Sgarsoch dark.jpg

My only issue now would be getting across the burns again :roll:
Gradually made my way along and past the Geldie ruins and before I knew it cycled straight through the Seilich :lol:
Tried to do the same with the Geldie crossing and to be fair I made it three quarters of the way across before having to put my feet down, up to the knees, boots full of water sais la vie :(
Walked out, squelch squelch, could have been a lot worse.

I'm on my way home now and on a good track, so it won't take long. Got to the next ford and no decision this time, got off the bike and walked straight through.

Took longer in the dark than in the daylight and I was taking it easy to be safe and sure. Got back to the car about one thirty am with feet like blocks of ice and boots that weight five kilos each :roll:

Still a much more pleasant dark ending than the last time :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Another dark ending at Linn of Dee

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Super report mate :clap:
My dad actually plans walks so he's coming off in the evenings, as long as it's on track, he says you get to see and hear things you'd never get in daytime.
Some trek that one :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ancancha » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:00 am

Beaner001 wrote:Super report mate :clap:
My dad actually plans walks so he's coming off in the evenings, as long as it's on track, he says you get to see and hear things you'd never get in daytime.
Some trek that one :clap:

Thanks Beaner, tend to agree with your dad, it's a different experience, and so long as you have a head torch and aren't scaling down cliffs etc. then it's safe.
Though have to say on a couple of earlier walks this year with all deer around I was considering the idea of introducing wolves and predators to keep the numbers in balance; was reneging on that thought asap out there in the middle of nowhere in the dark by myself :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby railton22 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Great report and fab photos. We still have these two to do, so found your report really helpful. Sunset was stunning. I'm trying not to be too put off by your frozen feet on the return. I hate having cold feet let alone feet encased in ice. Kudos to you :clap:
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:10 pm

There's a really nice, remote feeling on these hills. It must have been quite special up there at that time of day, ancancha.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:17 pm

simon-b wrote:There's a really nice, remote feeling on these hills. It must have been quite special up there at that time of day, ancancha.

Very surreal and peaceful, as you say Simon a unique feeling to be the only person around in the middle of nowhere at that time.
Guess I am getting a bit late on now to start kitting up for wild camping, but next year definitely.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:49 pm

What a trek! 8) Good that you had the bike, I wouldn’t fancy walking that! Mind you, it is a long haul whichever way you approach them. :shock:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby ancancha » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 am

Silverhill wrote:What a trek! 8) Good that you had the bike, I wouldn’t fancy walking that! Mind you, it is a long haul whichever way you approach them. :shock:

As I say in Martins report, I doubt I would do these remote munros without the bike taking the slog out of it :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:31 pm

railton22 wrote:Great report and fab photos. We still have these two to do, so found your report really helpful. Sunset was stunning. I'm trying not to be too put off by your frozen feet on the return. I hate having cold feet let alone feet encased in ice. Kudos to you :clap:

I'm sure you will both avoid the cold feet if you tackle it during daylight hours.
Apparently another great full day mountain bike ride is Old Bridge of Tilt to White bridge, I've done the first part and it is worth doing in itself 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Excellent stuff! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ancancha » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:03 am

Graeme D wrote:Excellent stuff! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Graeme
I was unfit and had just got the bike when I did them cycling back in the dark.
Recon a fit person doing a bike hike in daylight would be out and back within five hours.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland