walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Driving Test Passed

Driving Test Passed

Postby litljortindan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Route description: Byne Hill, Girvan

Date walked: 09/06/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 196m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had the vague idea of going to Ailsa Craig then inland afterwards to visit my dad but none of this went to plan.

Phoned the boatman at 10am as suggested but found that the boat was full so on to plan B of the short walk up Byne Hill just to the south of Girvan. I suppose though that this was actually the better outcome for me as I don't really like warm and sunny days.

Followed the WH route south from the car park then across the road and onto the farm track/road that goes most of the way up. Early on along the track I disturbed what I at first thought was a rabbit but what was in fact a baby deer, probably only a couple of feet tall if that. It was no slouch though despite that lack of height.

A coupe of stiles to cross and some fine blossom along the way with a seaside backdrop of Ailsa Craig and Arran made for a varied middle section. Just below the Ardmillan monument some horses were assembled on the grass, all seeming to find the warmth a bit much.

Beyond the monument it was a simple case of over the wooden fence and up the slightly steeper, grassy summit slopes then a more level walk over to the trig point.

All in all a very pleasant walk with unexpected wildlife bonuses and good coastal view.

Later that day I got to my dad's house only to find no answer at the door. Decided to just return home and got a message en route that my dad was in hospital. Found out today that he will be back out this week some time though so good news at the end. Also found that my driving tactic of stopping every hour to stretch my knackered back seemed to work ok though feeling it a bit the day after.

the first stile

a lot of blossom along the way

and looking over to Arran

route goes up slope on the left

looking back north along costa del Girvan

round the corner I met this lot

approaching the monument

view south west from near the top

wish i was there? well maybe a bit but quite nice where i was

how i'd probably feel on a big hill on such a day

surely the white horses should be more heat resistant

possibly a prevailing westerly

small tortoiseshell

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Driving Test Passed

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Nice wee report, hope your dad is getting better and your back also. I'm currently on Arran as I type and have wonderful views to Ailsa Craig, not to make you jealous but I'd encourage you to visit, it's stunning :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:238   Corbetts:29
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland