walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Dreaded Return

The Dreaded Return

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 am

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 11/06/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yes I know I said I would never return, but after chatting to Campbell and Wullie on FB the original plan was to head up north to An Teallach, however the forecast was for fog & low cloud, so not much point in travelling all that way to see s*d all :lol: The forecast was better for the south so after plenty of suggestions we opted to pay Aonach Eagach a visit. After my first trip there I have always said I would never return, but having enjoyed Skye and the similar challenges provided there I thought "why not" :shock: Especially as the forecast was for wall to wall sunshine. Campbell & Cameron had done the ridge a few times, whereas Wullie & myself had endured the experience the once and not in the best of weather conditions, namely pretty grotty with little or no view :lol:
The plan was fairly relaxed and in a few ways seemed to throw Wullie & myself off course a wee bit, more of that to come :wink:
I had arranged to meet Campbell & Wullie in Crianlarich at 10.45 which is a very leisurely start time, left my car there and travelled to Glencoe with Campbell. It was almost deja vu as Campbell has almost the same car as the one I have just sold, the only difference his is diesel :roll: The plan was to leave a car in Glencoe village (Wullie's) and leave the rest at the parking area at the start. Cameron was running slightly late (as students do) and it was 12.15pm by the time we started heading uphill :o By this time I am normally either well into the walk or on the descent :lol:

Quick photo before the off

As we started the climb which for those who haven't ventured onto the ridge is fairly steady from the off and it wasn't long before Wullie was gasping for breath :lol: After one or two stops on the way up to Am Bodach we eventually made it and by this time it was not far off 2 o'clock and I hadn't had my lunch yet :shock:

Wullie relaxing on the way up

Another wee rest

We had been chatting to a couple of guys who were 'travelling light' and had come across from Germany, so we filled them in about the Scottish hills and imparted a bit of advice. they were off to Skye to take part in the half marathon :clap: They had no accomodation arranged so if you are reading this, hope you enjoyed Skye and managed to find a bed somewhere :wink:

Bidean

Looking down Glencoe

Pretty busy down below

Campbell looking for someone/something

After lunch it was onto the main event, firstly the bit I remember most from my previous visit, the initial descent off Am Bodach :lol: The good news was I found that part rather easy, I put it down to experience and knowledge gained over the past couple of years 8)

3 posers blocking the view of Bidean

Same 3

Different 3

The Chancellor (not George Osborne)

2 volunteers

Campbell surveying Glencoe

1st volunteer, naturally running

Nearly there

Facing the wrong way!

Next volunteer

Here they come

Once down off Am Bodach for me it was just a matter of following Cameron who was always way ahead & Wullie, with Campbell bringing up the rear.

Campbell descending

I won't describe all the individual intricasies that the ridge poses, mainly because there are too many and I can't remember them :lol: I will let the photo's do the talking :wink:

The way ahead, looks fairly easy!

Just follow the path

Looks a bit more challenging

Looking north towards the Ben

Ben zoomed

Blackwater Reservoir

Looking NW

What a view?

Santa coming 'up' the chimney

Ossians cave zoomed

Sneaky shot below through one of the many 'gaps'

Posers

Cameron off again

Same posers

Cameron waiting patiently

Wullie trying to blend into the rocks

Looking across to the Bookils

Campbell almost blending in

Plenty of cars down there

Interesting bits approaching

Don't look down Wullie

Contemplating

Next bit

Posers again

Just love the view

Looking back

The way ahead, easy peasy now

Looking SW

Another gap

Never noticed this from the road

Zoomed

Loch Leven

ImageLoch Leven with Glencoe village

I mentioned at the start that things wouldn't go exactly to plan, about three quarters of the way across the ridge, rather loud expletives were coming from the direction of Wullie - he didn't sound very happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He confessed that he had made a wee bit of a fopar, his car keys were sitting in Campbells car back at the start, which meant that we had to come up with yet another plan on how to get back to the parking area at the start. A few suggestions were forthcoming, which I won't go into but Cameron being an all round good egg as well as being super humanly fit, volunteered to run off the ridge, presumably down the gully (eek) and then back to his car :clap: :clap:
As Wullie and I were the senior members for the day we volunteered to take the leisurely way back down to Glencoe village, Campbell had decided as he was feeling fit to tackle the Pap on the way back down 8)
Wullie and I descended down the rocky descent path, blethering away which made the descent almost pleasant :lol: Cameron had already disappeared well out of sight by now & we caught a few glimpses of Campbell heading across to the Pap.
Wullie & I stopped a couple of times on the descent having come across a super little burn, which was utilised to top up our liquid supplies as they were getting a bit depleted.
Once we reached the road we turned right towards the village and we had hardly walked any distance and who should turn up in his car - Cameron, what a hero :clap: We updated him that Campbell would be down soon so he was going to wait for him & then head back to the start. Wullie & I took a nice leisurely stroll along the road, in the shade back to the village.
So endeth the drama :lol:
A cracking day, in fantastic weather, with some super human efforts. Glencoe doesn't get any better than that :wink:

Next port of call for me will be the Gorms again, maybe Monday, forecast over the weekend not overly clever :(
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: The Dreaded Return

Postby basscadet » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am

That looked fabulous, not jealous at all :lol: I passed in the car yesterday dinner time, and the ridge looked tip-top.. shame I didn't know about your predicament or I could of helped you out :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Fabulous photographs Martin, guess the Cuillin has hardened you up, AE a piece of cake now :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Funny this ridge ...having "survived it" the first time , I remember saying that I wouldn't tempt fate and do it again :shock: ....... Now ....all I remember is the fun stuff and want to do it all over again!! :lol: :roll: looked a grand day to be out
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby simon-b » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:01 pm

The dreaded return doesn't seem to have been so dreadful after all, Martin. Sounds like you had fun.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Great photos there, that's the sort of weather I'd need to do this one :)

First report I've read on this one for a while and it hasn't put the fear of God into me, you made it sound easy!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby old danensian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:59 am

There'll be no stopping you now Martin - a winter traverse next?

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Bay Bloke » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:26 am

What a great report :clap: on my list for 1 day in the future....
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby quoman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:22 pm

It was some day right enough a late start, me whinning like a old dog,ave no energy my legs are shaking and that was just at the start of the walk :lol: :lol: then leaving the carkeys in Campbells car :(

A very big thanks goes to Cameron.

It was good meeting you all the same Martin maybe the next time it will be a bit sraightforward :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby roscoT » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Brilliant pictures mate. Cheers :clap:
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby ancancha » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:23 pm

So I'm not the only one who starts off in the afternoon :lol:
Great photos and you make it sound easy and fun, I've thought about it, but not fit enough at the moment :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:17 pm

basscadet wrote:That looked fabulous, not jealous at all :lol: I passed in the car yesterday dinner time, and the ridge looked tip-top.. shame I didn't know about your predicament or I could of helped you out :wink:

Thanks Seana, see you next Saturday :wink:

The Rodmiester wrote:Fabulous photographs Martin, guess the Cuillin has hardened you up, AE a piece of cake now :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rod, AE is never a piece of cake & definitely not for me :lol:

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Funny this ridge ...having "survived it" the first time , I remember saying that I wouldn't tempt fate and do it again :shock: ....... Now ....all I remember is the fun stuff and want to do it all over again!! :lol: :roll: looked a grand day to be out

I still wouldn't call it 'fun' Alice :lol: One thing for sure you don't need boots on, maybe apart from the descent, where the path had turned into a burn :(

simon-b wrote:The dreaded return doesn't seem to have been so dreadful after all, Martin. Sounds like you had fun.

Fun is not quite the word I would use Simon, but Skye certainly helped :wink:

skuk007 wrote:Great photos there, that's the sort of weather I'd need to do this one :) First report I've read on this one for a while and it hasn't put the fear of God into me, you made it sound easy!

Not sure I would ever call it easy, it does help to have folk with you who have a wee bit more experience 8)

old danensian wrote:There'll be no stopping you now Martin - a winter traverse next? OD

No chance of that Nigel :roll:

Bay Bloke wrote:What a great report :clap: on my list for 1 day in the future....

Thanks (sorry don't know your name) :wink:

quoman wrote:It was some day right enough a late start, me whining like a old dog, ave no energy my legs are shaking and that was just at the start of the walk :lol: :lol: then leaving the car keys in Campbells car :( A very big thanks goes to Cameron. It was good meeting you all the same Martin maybe the next time it will be a bit sraightforward :lol: :lol:

Totally agree re Cameron, would have been midnight by the time we got home otherwise :lol:

roscoT wrote:Brilliant pictures mate. Cheers :clap:

ancancha wrote:So I'm not the only one who starts off in the afternoon :lol: Great photos and you make it sound easy and fun, I've thought about it, but not fit enough at the moment :roll:

I have never started that late before :wink: I can assure you it isn't easy & it is fun if you like scrambling and have a good head for heights :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Brilliant report and pics.

I did the ridge many many years ago now, but recently have been getting a hankering to do it again. Much more experienced now and have lost my fear of heights too (which is a little wierd). I love nothing more than getting my hands and feet on the rock nowadays. Looks like you had fanstastic weather too which totally makes the day.

Great effort you guys, and the ridge is most definitely back on my radar for another assault. Might even drag my wife up with me this time round ! :wink:
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland