walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Bhraigh from Corriemulzie

Seana Bhraigh from Corriemulzie

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 13/06/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was to be a hill weekend but where was the question. Ben Alder was itching to be done and planning begun, a bike ride….noooooo !!! I came up with a Plan B, none of the conventional alternatives whetted my appetite so a route was hatched to come in from Laggan via the track to Creag Pitridh. I recall doing the ones behind a good while back with Scoob and thinking how close Ben Alder looked. So that's that sorted :D

But hang on a minute, I had a word with meself, and replied too, well rude not too. I still had my manflu that had been hanging on, hadn’t been out for a bit and soppy work hours messing with sleep patterns,….hmm maybe save this for another day. Ok violins away now :lol:

Something less challenging was called for and SB seemed to fit the bill. I had done a recce twice to Corriemulzie Lodge, would the new TB1 make it down the track ?

Next question the forecast, a week of all this sun, surely I had to get a break for some wind and pish, yes said MWIS, a dampish start but improving, especially towards the coast hmm ok well you cant have it all.

5 am alarm but things started slow and it was 1000hrs before I left the car at the now signed Walkers Car Park, first gate now open (from April onwards I was told) so parked up at the Lodge.

WH1.jpg

Now on one of those recces this was the view , enough to convince me this was the best route. A stunning mountain from this side without question :D

WH view.jpg

This is the view on the day ! But improving remember.

WH2.jpg

And yes it’s a good leg stretch walking in.
But eventually eyes are drawn to the entrance bastions of Seana’s corrie.

WH3.jpg

And my ascent route up the right flank to the we nitch on the skyline

WH4.jpg

For anyone contemplating this route, there are a couple of burns to cross near the end of the walk in, no problem today but maybe in damper conditions hmm. Also the tracks divide in a couple of places but its clear enough which is needed, the last turn off heads up the aforementioned flank providing good progress before breaking out on the pathless ground. Worth marking the end of the track to find it on descent.
View on ascent to Loch a Choire Mhoir

WH5.jpg

And my route up just after the track (Land rover or probably smaller but no motorised transport had been up in a while).

WH6.jpg

Once atop Creag na Gobhar it’s a relative stroll to the summit passing close to the corrie rim. Had the clag been just 100 foot higher today but heh ho.

WH7.jpg

Summit above

WH8.jpg

Good 10 foot plus depth waiting to drop.

WH9.jpg

And of course the summit selfie for all those who hate selfie sticks and so I remember I was there :lol:

WH10.jpg

Now for that improving forecast. The waterproofs went on at the car, but never got wet coming in, weather couldn’t make its mind up. But after refreshments at the summit, within 5 minutes of departure the improving rain hit and continued to within half mile of the car. Pish and wind all the way back, plenty of that about !
You would be amazed how much water gets in through a half inch split in the trousers, yikes, gore tex patches must be found.
It was 3 and half hours from car to summit, 2 and a bit out, head first into the drizzle, but a good stretch, despite not firing on all 4 cylinders.
I guess a return will be in order to complete the loop but in reverse to ascend the scrambly, entertaining ridge on the other side of the corrie :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Seana Bhraigh from Corriemulzie

Postby basscadet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 am

Och its a shame you got a claggy day for it, I've done it many times from that side and its a treat 8)
Shame you didn't find the caves because they are up the flank you took :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:56 am

Caves !! ??? Didn't know that, cripes, a return is def on the cards then :D :D :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby basscadet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:43 am

Ive found them twice, but twice I haven't... Elusive!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby tall-story » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Sounds good Dave, I thought the route from that side would have taken a bit longer ? But I guess you would be marching on like a squaddie on a mission :wink:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 am

Haha don't know about that Colin :lol:
Not sure on the route how it compares in distance....I think it must be short this way and certainly less complex. But having seen pics of that corrie which I was only able to glimpse..no question this route would be stunning. A return will be forthcoming :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby tartancat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 am

spiderwebb wrote:It was to be a hill weekend but where was the question. Ben Alder was itching to be done and planning begun, a bike ride….noooooo !!! I came up with a Plan B, none of the conventional alternatives whetted my appetite so a route was hatched to come in from Laggan via the track to Creag Pitridh. I recall doing the ones behind a good while back with Scoob and thinking how close Ben Alder looked. So that's that sorted :D

But hang on a minute, I had a word with meself, and replied too, well rude not too. I still had my manflu that had been hanging on, hadn’t been out for a bit and soppy work hours messing with sleep patterns,….hmm maybe save this for another day. Ok violins away now :lol:

Something less challenging was called for and SB seemed to fit the bill. I had done a recce twice to Corriemulzie Lodge, would the new TB1 make it down the track ?

Next question the forecast, a week of all this sun, surely I had to get a break for some wind and pish, yes said MWIS, a dampish start but improving, especially towards the coast hmm ok well you cant have it all.

5 am alarm but things started slow and it was 1000hrs before I left the car at the now signed Walkers Car Park, first gate now open (from April onwards I was told) so parked up at the Lodge.

WH1.jpg

Now on one of those recces this was the view , enough to convince me this was the best route. A stunning mountain from this side without question :D

WH view.jpg

This is the view on the day ! But improving remember.

WH2.jpg

And yes it’s a good leg stretch walking in.
But eventually eyes are drawn to the entrance bastions of Seana’s corrie.

WH3.jpg

And my ascent route up the right flank to the we nitch on the skyline

WH4.jpg

For anyone contemplating this route, there are a couple of burns to cross near the end of the walk in, no problem today but maybe in damper conditions hmm. Also the tracks divide in a couple of places but its clear enough which is needed, the last turn off heads up the aforementioned flank providing good progress before breaking out on the pathless ground. Worth marking the end of the track to find it on descent.
View on ascent to Loch a Choire Mhoir

WH5.jpg

And my route up just after the track (Land rover or probably smaller but no motorised transport had been up in a while).

WH6.jpg

Once atop Creag na Gobhar it’s a relative stroll to the summit passing close to the corrie rim. Had the clag been just 100 foot higher today but heh ho.

WH7.jpg

Summit above

WH8.jpg

Good 10 foot plus depth waiting to drop.

WH9.jpg

And of course the summit selfie for all those who hate selfie sticks and so I remember I was there :lol:

WH10.jpg

Now for that improving forecast. The waterproofs went on at the car, but never got wet coming in, weather couldn’t make its mind up. But after refreshments at the summit, within 5 minutes of departure the improving rain hit and continued to within half mile of the car. Pish and wind all the way back, plenty of that about !
You would be amazed how much water gets in through a half inch split in the trousers, yikes, gore tex patches must be found.
It was 3 and half hours from car to summit, 2 and a bit out, head first into the drizzle, but a good stretch, despite not firing on all 4 cylinders.
I guess a return will be in order to complete the loop but in reverse to ascend the scrambly, entertaining ridge on the other side of the corrie :D

The track from the car looks good for bikes--yes/no? And--how is the road into the lodge/parking area?
tartancat
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:24 pm

The track into the parking area is ok....A few bumpy bits but nothing too serious.
Beyond the track is certainly ok for bikes as far as crossing the two burns. Probably not much to be gained taking them much further once you head uphill, although still track it runs out soon after.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Man flu!!! I heard thats the worst illness ever. Tends to normally linger for weeks :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:27 pm

And some MT. Highly underestimated illness severest symptoms affect men, women get away lightly with a few sniffles apparently. Only cure is tlc and sympathy :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby tartancat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:03 am

spiderwebb wrote:The track into the parking area is ok....A few bumpy bits but nothing too serious.
Beyond the track is certainly ok for bikes as far as crossing the two burns. Probably not much to be gained taking them much further once you head uphill, although still track it runs out soon after.
spiderwebb wrote:And some MT. Highly underestimated illness severest symptoms affect men, women get away lightly with a few sniffles apparently. Only cure is tlc and sympathy :D

Thanks for the information. As soon as the weather improves I'll be there!
tartancat
Munro compleatist

Postby GillC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Hey Dave,,do you have the route for this approach? distance/ascent? cheers , Gill
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland