walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mamores were so good, we had to go back for more

The Mamores were so good, we had to go back for more

Postby martin.h » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 09/06/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1676m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day three of our holiday in Roy Bridge and the forecast was for another good day, this is rare so we had to take advantage.
We spent the day before doing Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean in the Mamores and promised ourselves we'd spend another day Mamoring this holiday if the weather was kind and the Ring of Steall was a mountain day we really wanted to do.
I'd read a lot about this route and the only section I was a wee bit apprehensive about was the Devils Ridge but with the weather promising to be good, any slowing down on this section wouldn't be a problem.

We were dropped off at the top car park by daughter Louise and arranged to be picked up in the lower falls car park later on to save the walk back to the start point.
We followed the W.H.route up to Steall falls,
DSC00611.JPG
Steall Falls, I think everybody's taken a shot similar to this.

chickened out on the wire bridge crossing and opted for the paddle across the river which was easy enough with boots on although a bit slippy in parts, found the path and started the long climb up An Gearanach.
DSC00612.JPG
From the slopes of An Gearanach, The Ben.

DSC00614.JPG
Not sure what the pointy ones are, Binnein Mor?

DSC00615.JPG
Looking over to the last one of the day, Sgurr a' Mhaim.

DSC00616.JPG
Glen Nevis with Ben Nevis as backdrop.

DSC00618.JPG
Close up of Sgurr a' Mhaim.

It was steep to start with but does ease higher up, height is gained very quickly and we were at the summit about 2.5 hours after starting.
DSC00619.JPG
Denise on An Gearanach, Sgurr a' Mhaim behind.

DSC00620.JPG
A view of the Ring.

From this first summit you can see the whole route on a clear day and the way over to Stob Coire a' Chairn, the next Munro, includes a nice ridge walk then a steep drop into the bealach followed by a fairly steep ascent to the summit.
DSC00622.JPG
Denise on Stob Coire a' Chairn.

DSC00624.JPG
Am Bodach, from no: 2.

From the second summit to the third, Am Bodach, the descent isn't too bad but the re-ascent onto the summit of Am Bodach is probably the steepest of the whole route and I found it a bit tiring.
DSC00625.JPG
On Am Bodach, the view was worth the effort. Denise on the main Summit.

DSC00626.JPG
There's another cairn on the S.E spur of Am Bodach, this is a view from the cairn.

Once at the summit the way forward changes from steep descents and re-ascents to a much easier broad ridge walk over much easier terrain and soon the top of Sgurr an Lubhair is reached.
DSC00627.JPG
And looking towards Sgurr an lubhair to the right from the second cairn, Stob Ban appearing above it at right of centre of photo

From this summit there's a descent into a bealach and then an easy climb onto the start of the Devils Ridge.
I was a bit apprehensive about this ridge but in reality we found it to be great fun with no real exposure at all.
DSC00628.JPG
Stob Ban from the start of the Ridge.

Once over the ridge the climb onto the last munro Sgurr a' Mhaim is steady enough but a bit of a trudge after a fairly hard day.
DSC00629.JPG
Denise with The Devils Ridge behind, it was a good place to be, great fun, made all the better with the great weather. Sgurr a' Mhaim next.

DSC00630.JPG
Stob Ban from the climb up Sgurr a' Mhaim

DSC00631.JPG
Last look at the ridge.

Once on the summit we had a good rest and prepared for the descent.
DSC00633.JPG
On the last summit, this was a great day out and the weather made it that much better.

This was easy and steady enough to begin with but it soon turned very steep and very tiring, in fact we both found this to be the hardest part of the route and from last summit to the lower falls car park it took us two hours, it was tedious.
The whole route took us 8 hours but it was very enjoyable, one I would recommend to anybody wanting to have a go.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: The Mamores were so good, we had to go back for more

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:30 pm

You deffinately picked a good week after a very wet Saturday. Wonderful stuff in great weather conditions just what you need on these hills. I had forgotten you were based at Roybridge, I stopped off at the Bunroy campsite last Friday en route to doing the Lochaber Dirty Thirty, on the Saturday, excellent walking conditions again. Your totals looking very healthy Martin
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Nice report Martin and useful; I am heading this way soon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks for this report - very helpful, hope to visit this group later this year. :D Great timing for your holiday - about the best weather we've had so far this year!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland