walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scolty hill

Scolty hill

Postby Dhugs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Route description: Scolty Hill, near Banchory

Date walked: 14/06/2015

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.25 km

Ascent: 189m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A sunny Sunday & a chance to try out my new hill walking trousers & day sack. Lots of paths cross the hill, so it offers roundabout routes & opportunities to explore on different days.

I parked up just before 11:00 & the car park was quite full, although as the pay & display machines were out of order I did save myself the £2.00 it would take to park all day. As parking charges go that's still pretty reasonable to be honest).

Lots of walkers, mountain bikers & dogs to say hello to on the forested sections lower down the hill. These give way to great views of Aberdeenshire through the trees before opening up into heather moorland around the top.

1.jpg
Easterly view across Banchory & the river Dee

2.jpg
Trig point & the tor of Clachnaben beyond

3.jpg

4.jpg
Memorial tower to General Burnett

5.jpg

6.jpg
Kerloch

7.jpg

8.jpg
Lochnagar in the distance
Attachments
11.jpg
One last view to the east
10.jpg
One of may routes up and down
9.jpg
A lichen covered rock
Dhugs
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1

Re: Scolty hill

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Friends of mine used to live in Banchory, and your report has just reminded me how nice Scolty is. Thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland