walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochalsh Dirty Thirty, A highy recommended event

Lochalsh Dirty Thirty, A highy recommended event

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Route description: The Lochalsh Dirty 30 Challenge

Date walked: 13/06/2015

Time taken: 8.25 hours

Distance: 48 km

Ascent: 1912m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This event had been recommended to me by my Daughter who had completed it twice before. It's not a race but there are some serious runners in evidence, there was a total of approximately 220 competitors, some runners, some walkers some doing a bit of both in both categories. The organisation is spot on with each compeditor receiving a plastic card to get stamped at the five checkpoints at the registration, and after completion receive a medal and certificate. I nearly forgot, free busses are laid on from the Glenshiel Campsite and when you arrive at the Glenelg Community Centre there is hot and cold drinks and bacon rolls to purchase. Checkout Lochaber Dirty thirty website for all details.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Milling around at the start
2.JPG
Race instructions being given
3.JPG
Heading out towards the Glenelg Ferry on a tarmac road
4.JPG
Looking back already well strung out
5.JPG
At this stage there was always someone to have a chat to
6.JPG
The leading three walkers at this stage, early days, lots of changes
7.JPG
Glenelg Ferry to Skye
8.JPG
Along the foreshore near Camus nan Gall good walking conditions on the ground and above. Heading towards the first check point at Ardintoul. After that came a climb and into the woods for an extremely boggy section. Glad i had boots on
9.JPG
Approaching Eilein Aoinidh (The section through the woods between checkpoint one and two was really muddy) Picking off one or two runners here and there
9a.JPG
At a high point looking over Dornie with Loch Long in the distance
11.JPG
Eilean Donan from the South side, and soon to come to Checkpoint 2 at Letterfearn
12.JPG
The Five Sisters coming into view, now on the last and longest section of tarmac road
13.JPG
Ratagan Youth Hostel, on the tarmac road. Heading towards checkpoint 3 at Glenshiel campsite where you can climb over a stile to make use of their toilets, something you do very carefully with twinges of cramp setting in.
14.JPG
A happy group just over half way distance after Checkpoint 3 The Glenshiel campsite
15.JPG
Looking back from where we had come, a fair wee climb to the highest part of the course
16.JPG
The view from just beyond the Loch Iain Mhic Aonghais
17.JPG
No longer a dwelling at Bealachasan
18.JPG
Ian in foreground looking West where we were heading towards Checkpoint 4 in Moyle Wood
19.JPG
Bothy at Suardalan (before reaching the bothy after you cross the bridge at 889173 walk up the track a further 200m and find a new track on your right heading to the bothy) not show on OS map
20.JPG
The peace is disturbed by a coast guard helicopter hovvering over Dun Teve, an exercise?
21.JPG
Passing Druim losal on the left
22.JPG
Sign of the track at Balvraid where Checkpoint 5 is, photograph taken when passing Dun Grugaig
25.JPG
Ian and Rory a couple of walking partners during many meeting up throughout the day with the old guy in the middle. Both lads were a great credit to their school Plockton High School and parents, both were doing it for charity, ooops forgot to give my monies at the end of day. A brilliant dayout with probably the worst section for me being the tarmac road between Ratagan and the Glenshiel Campsite when i had signs of cramp setting in on both legs, not used to lengthy spells on the roads. If I met any of you who are reading this Trip Report during the walk/run, Hi again it was lovely meeting you, just PM me or write a comment, hope you got home safely, I did, didn't fancy putting up the tent in the rain so just headed home.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Lochalsh Dirty Thirty, A highy recommended event

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Rod, looks like really nice event :D 8)
Good effort on the route :clap: :clap: :clap:
You are a great sample and inspiration for the young there :clap: :clap: :clap:
Something to add to my goals list... :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby crustypunkuk » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Well done on the time- 8 and a bit hours was good going! I managed just under ten and a half with a wee stop at the campsite for a fly wee seat and to change my socks after coming through the forest. I really enjoyed it, but that last stage from Balvraid back to Glenelg on Tarmac was a real killer for my feet. I was on course for under ten hours until that point where I felt as though I was walking in treacle for that last 6 miles! Still, there's always next year to better my time! :D
I'd certainly echo what you said about it being well organised and well thought out. There was a great cameraderie amongst entrants and it was fantastic to enjoy the support and encouragement of locals throughout the day.
A pity the organisers can't get the midges to take a holiday for the event though! :wink:
crustypunkuk
Rambler

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:16 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Hi Rod, looks like really nice event :D 8)
Good effort on the route :clap: :clap: :clap:
You are a great sample and inspiration for the young there :clap: :clap: :clap:
Something to add to my goals list... :D

Hi Petr, I really wanted to do this event last year but had other things on unfortunately. I'm not used to walking as fast as that on the tarmac and I was abit concerned I was going to cramp up just before the campsite, apart from that not even a blister and not too stiff the next day. Met some fine people en route all very friendly and supportive. Go on give it a go sometime :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 am

crustypunkuk wrote:Well done on the time- 8 and a bit hours was good going! I managed just under ten and a half with a wee stop at the campsite for a fly wee seat and to change my socks after coming through the forest. I really enjoyed it, but that last stage from Balvraid back to Glenelg on Tarmac was a real killer for my feet. I was on course for under ten hours until that point where I felt as though I was walking in treacle for that last 6 miles! Still, there's always next year to better my time! :D
I'd certainly echo what you said about it being well organised and well thought out. There was a great cameraderie amongst entrants and it was fantastic to enjoy the support and encouragement of locals throughout the day.
A pity the organisers can't get the midges to take a holiday for the event though! :wink:

Hi crustypunkuk, glad you enjoyed it, I did. Ten and a halfs a good time, you walked like I did, but nobody who records in the six hour range, walks, they run all the sections they can. Like you I found the road section between before Ratagan and campsite the hardest, did not like climbing the stile at the toilet block either :crazy: The additional watering station and the last table at the end I grabbed a couple of sugery sweets, no I didn't take a dram, did you? :lol: I don't know if I could have walked much faster to be honest apart from a lost two minutes going up the hill before the war memorial and returning thinking I'd gone the wrong way and went past war memorial. The WH plan of the course shows the route that way. I never found the midges to be a problem, must have been too fast for them :lol: :lol: Glad to hear your giving it a go next year a fine target to go for, me I might just go back and see what a ten and hour walk feels like :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby crustypunkuk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:13 pm

I reckon the reason you never got bothered by the midges is that every single one of the little buggers in Lochalsh was following me round the route!!! :(
only one blister resulted from the walk, so pretty happy with that. I was up East Lomond today with the dogs to ease out the muscles and wasn't too troubled by stiffness, so i'm pretty happy with the lack of residual soreness i was fully expecting to have.
I saw the whisky at that last table, and i was tempted to ease my suffering, but i wouldn't sully my refined palate with a blend like that- only the good stuff for me!!! :o
crustypunkuk
Rambler

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi Rod, crikey you must be fit, you do some mileage.
We wouldn't mind having a go at this sort of event but long road sections play havoc with my back and legs for some reason. :roll: but may look at something without roads, thanks for giving me an idea :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Oh I enjoyed that Rod. :clap:

You looked far too fresh and definitely not dirty enough at the end!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Dare I ask about navigation? Are there markers along the way or are you self reliant on getting round the course without getting lost? :crazy: :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby neilmci » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Good report. Summed up the event well.

I also completed the thirty somewhat behind you though and significantly more dirty after an incident in the woods!

It was a good day although the climb up the hill after 18 miles was my downfall. legs turned to lead.

Polly - The course is sign posted with markers but during the event they do put up additional signs and tapes to keep people on the right track. Not sure how obvious the route would be without these.

Also the cheeky drams at various points helped take my mind of the blisters that i knew were developing.

This was my first event of this type and i really enjoyed the friendly and encouraging atmosphere.

I would recommend it to runners and walkers for a good day out.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:21 am

martin.h wrote:Hi Rod, crikey you must be fit, you do some mileage.
We wouldn't mind having a go at this sort of event but long road sections play havoc with my back and legs for some reason. :roll: but may look at something without roads, thanks for giving me an idea :D

Hi Martin, I see you have been busy are you up target :wink: Likewise the road sections, I had to ease off a bit as cramp was showing signs of setting in but apart from that no problems. My biggest concern before the race was would my feet hold up, answer, Yes. Its a great route well signposted through some wonderful countryside and guess what NO TICKS :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:27 am

pollyh33 wrote:Oh I enjoyed that Rod. :clap:

You looked far too fresh and definitely not dirty enough at the end!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Dare I ask about navigation? Are there markers along the way or are you self reliant on getting round the course without getting lost? :crazy: :shock: :shock:

Hi polly, you would be a balloon if you got lost, but in saying that I did go off course when I was actually on course at the very end :lol: :lol: No the course is self evident in most places, section two in the trees at the muddy section there are red and white markers and also after passing the Loch at the top of the climb there is a section but once again marker poles are placed. Think you would love it :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 am

neilmci wrote:Good report. Summed up the event well.

I also completed the thirty somewhat behind you though and significantly more dirty after an incident in the woods!

It was a good day although the climb up the hill after 18 miles was my downfall. legs turned to lead.

Polly - The course is sign posted with markers but during the event they do put up additional signs and tapes to keep people on the right track. Not sure how obvious the route would be without these.

Also the cheeky drams at various points helped take my mind of the blisters that i knew were developing.

This was my first event of this type and i really enjoyed the friendly and encouraging atmosphere.

I would recommend it to runners and walkers for a good day out.

Hi neilmci, it was a hard day, it would have been so easy to have a fall, I'm very glad I took my poles. Great comradery amongst the competitors and overall a well organised event :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Well done Rod. Is it fairly flat ? Do you think boots were recommended. I struggled with the West Highland Way walking with salamon boots and had to change to trainers :(
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:18 am

[quote="mountain thyme"]Well done Rod. Is it fairly flat ? Do you think boots were recommended. I struggled with the West Highland Way walking with salamon boots and had to change to trainers :([/quote

Most were in trainers but the depth of the mud in the woods meant your feet were going to get wet and probably a change of socks might have helped, but I stayed dry and had no problems with my feet. I would have preferred trainers on the road sections though, hard going in boots. I was surprised how much ascent over 1900m :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby IainJTalbot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Heya Rod, finally found you! Great pictures mate and it was great craic walking with you, Defo doing it again next year and it really is worth the hike all you others. Chuffed with the 8 hours 9 mins and great views all round. May see y'all again some year.
IainJTalbot
Bird-watcher

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland