walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All clagged up!

All clagged up!

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 13/06/2015

Time taken: 11.3 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After an overnight camp next to the Glen Orchy river set off at 6.30am from the station. Had to get a move on to avoid the squadron of midges which were making up for lost time. Decided to wear my winter boots as I was expecting it be to wet and boggy underfoot. Turned out to be a good call! Sadly the MWIS forecast was not accurate.

It felt very muggy on the way up to the bealach and I was glad to be shot of the midges.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2015-06-13 06.23.36.jpg
1st target of the day. Looking up to the bealach

2015-06-13 08.27.17.jpg
Me at the Summit of Beinn Doran

Made good progress up to the Beinn Doran. Sadly it was uberclagged and I didnt get those great views of the A82.

Decision time. Do I continue or do I jump ship? Given that I am doing this bagging lark from London - not a cheap exercise, nae chance of ducking out.

Managed to choose a nice steep route off Meall Garbh which chewed up valuable time.

2015-06-13 09.18.32.jpg
Looking across to the steep sides of Beinn nam Fuaran

2015-06-13 09.41.35.jpg
Contouring beside the lovely Allt a Coire Ghathalach

2015-06-13 09.47.39.jpg
Looking down the valley to Allt a Chuirn

2015-06-13 11.22.42.jpg
Obligatory selfie at the summit of Ben Mhanach

Just as I contoured around the bottom of the steep Beinn a Chuirn the drizzle started.

The route up to Ben Mhanach felt like a chore. A lot of up and down.

Took me a while to descend and ascend up to Meall Bhuide. Was glad to reach the bealach and time for some ridge walking. Made good time to Beinn a Chreachain. On return I decided to follow the sheep track below Meall Bhuide, thinking it was a by-pass, but this ends suddenly. Not recommended.

2015-06-13 13.46.42.jpg
Summit of Beinn a Chreachain. Still no views!

By the time I got to the ascent of Beinn Achaladair I was soaked thru and both my phone and Satmap GPS were not playing ball. In fact my GPS had died.

2015-06-13 14.33.58.jpg
The start of the ascent/scramble up to Beinn Achaladair

Didnt hang around on Beinn Achaladair. I was feeling pretty whacked on the ascent of Beinn an Dothaidh. Thankfully the 2 summit cairns came quickly and my compass came in handy getting me back to the bealach.

The waterfalls coming down Beinn Doran were by now in full force/impressive and the path way down from Coire an Dothaidh had changed in character in just a matter of hours into a real bog.

Boy, was I grateful to get to the car and a change of clothes. As I was changing the train pulled in. I think they got a bit more than they bargained for as I hastedly attempted to get dressed. :shock:

By all accounts I will need to revisit Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Achaladair again sometime when this bagging lark is over to get the views!
Last edited by Borderhugh on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Re: All clagged up!

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Caught up with this one somewhat belatedly. Perhaps I missed it as a result of my previous lukewarm enthusiasm for these hills.

Tough to do in clag and rain - I guess it's what might be termed "character building"; but boy you cracked on! I think you're going to have to relinquish any pretensions to the Cap'n Slow title :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland