walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rounding off the big journey

Rounding off the big journey

Postby basscadet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 20/06/2015

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 27.9 km

Ascent: 1215m

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this weekend, was apparently the one all this hillwalking had been leading up to - Compleation of the Munro's. :shock:
The tradition is to invite those you have walked the hills with - quite a number in my case, and not being one who is comfortable with the limelight, I was half dreading it, and half looking forward to seeing everyone - We don't seem to get together often enough :?
So Friday came, and it was nice to be off without a rush to get anywhere. It was a good job because with a light on in my car and a slow puncture on dougie's we had to go and see about getting one of them fixed before we could start out to Kintail...
We got on the road at about midday, the weather was nice as we dawled - No escaping the caravans and hire cars at this time of year no matter where you go it seems.. :roll:

Compleation 20-JUN-15.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set out from Balvraid, a stone each of coal and ample alcohol on our backs making the pace very stately indeed :lol: Its a nice walk though past Dun Grugaig, which short uphill section had us sweating under the weight.

We were pleasantly surprised that there were no more real hills along the track. We stopped at the turn off to the pylon path to Kinlochourn as the stile made a good seat. TBH, it was just good to put the load down for 5 mins! Midges were bad there so not stopped long :roll:
Once out of the bonny woods, the track deteriorates quite rapidly, although by that time you are getting glimpses of the bothy, so it almost feels like you are there already. The last 100 yards however is a right squelcher. We arrived at the Bothy at 7PM, a bit later than anticipated, but still first to arrive.
We were just finishing our Dinner when Paul and Helen arrived with a mystery guest - Pat :D Oh it was a nice surprise.. Not long after that my Mum and Dad arrived too, and things got rather cosy with so much chat and cheer... :) Everyone was trying to be restrained with the booze consumption to save themselves for tomorrow, and we were all in our sleeping bags by midnight, the evening having passed by in a flash :)
I felt like I was a bit late up in the morning, we were expecting Andy and Martin to turn up to the bothy, but Paul had heard from Val that we were to meet them at the bridge at 9.30. I thought it was a bit tight for time and 9.15 came around without Martin :? It was suggested that maybe he had met the rest of the group, and would be at the bridge, so we finally set off from the bothy, the clag shrouding the hills round about.

over the quagmire we went to the bottom of the path and onto the track beyond to the bridge.

When we got there we discovered we were half an hour late. We were also discovered by a large cloud of midges :( Andy went down the track a way, and he saw no sign of anybody. We were half an hour late, and no-one could put up with these midges for half an hour, so maybe they had gone ahead? We waited as long as we could stand, then made our way over the bridge - looked way more rickety than it actually was :)

The other side was really quite boggy, and there was a wee awkward bit up to the stile, which we found was completely dry - no footprints.. Hmm it was unlikely that the others had come this way in the last wee while anyway.
By the time we were all over the stile however, we heard an almighty holler somewhere in the glen which shook the ground beneath our feet - Bod! :lol:
We moved up a bit out of the bog, and before long, Bod, then Scoob, Fi and Val emerged out of the woods :D

Have you seen Martin? was the first question, but alas they hadn't seen him either.. It was a horrible feeling to think he would turn up at the bothy with us already gone, but we weren't exactly rushing and Martin is fast, so I thought he would catch up nae bother.. :(
We went over the shoulder, some drier routes near the forest edge easing the way through the bog a little to the track on the other side.
We headed up the track, but wasn't long before we were stopped - a common theme of the day :lol:

The track takes an easy incline up the glen, with only a few puddles to hamper progress., and we were soon close enough to discuss the best route - straight up the ridge looked the most fun and direct, so we crossed the burn, and through a small forestry plantation with a ruined deer fence round it.

Then it was straight uphill. It was hot work with boggy rough ground underfoot, hardly a breeze in the air and high humidity. We were soon stopped again!

We endured clouds of midges before we reached the breeze up on the first shoulder - time for another stop me thinks - then up into the clag :D

Mum hasn't climbed many hills these past few years, and was struggling a bit 'are you coming back this way, maybe I'll just wait' she said, but I told her we were coming back down the corrie, so she had to come :twisted: We were almost half way up by then anyway, so no point turning back now :wink: We were stopped as often as we were going so no-one had the chance to get too far behind :)
At one of the stops Bod asked what the name of the ridge was, and when I said that not every ridge had a name, it was decided to christen this one Sron na Seana - Seana's Nose I think would be the translation. :lol: Honestly, I had laughed so much already that day, I had a sore tummy :shock:

Some way up, the familiar baggers path appeared beneath our feet, and there were a couple of steep bits, but it was really quite an easy walk - I thought this was supposed to be a steep hill 8)
The ridge turned really narrow and fine, and huge rocky buttresses on our left dropped into the claggy abyss below - had the impression that it would be a corker without the clag :roll: Still I thought it was fitting that I would compleat on a claggy day - so many summits have been seen in weather like this :D

There was a bit of confusion, as there are quite a few tops up there, but we made it to the true summit, after some more stops, everyone lifting their poles up to make a tunnel up to the trig point for me :lol:

After a short photo shoot, we tucked in to the many bottles of champagne, whisky, sloe gin, and Jack Daniels which everyone had brought. The drizzle came on and we all climbed into our waterproof trousers, but not enough rain to dampen spirits. I kind of expected to feel something, but I still don't think it has sunk in that there arent any more new munro's left :crazy:
After a good stop, and a lot of banter, we headed down the other ridge to the coll, looking for a way down to Corrie Min. We passed a couple who had come up from Arnisdale who looked awful miserable in the wet clag. I shouted to them that it was my last munro and found myself flailing my poles around like an idiot.. I was maybe feeling a little bit squiffy :lol:
The corrie was a fine descent route to stumble down, and we were careful to stay over to the left side which doesnt have any cliffs.

Once at the top of Corrie Dubh, almost out of the clag, Dougie and Andy descended to the glen floor, where as the rest of us traversed a gentler ascent on fine firm ground.

Dougie and Andy got to the mouth of the corrie well before us - well we did have another stop 8)
The sun was out so we hung around a while, before heading through the plantation back to the track beyond.

I was a bit sad that the walk was was coming to an end.. I had had such a brilliant time and had so much energy left, that I wanted to do it again, but no-one else looked tempted. :D
We said Goodbye to Bod, Val, Scoob and Fi at the bridge, Scoob and Fi coming to the bothy a bit later on, Bod and Val heading over to Skye. :? The drizzle came on again as we negotiated the bogs in the vicinity of the bothy, so we were glad to get back.
Back in the bothy, there was a hive of activity as dinner was prepared and cups of tea whisky and prosecco were consumed. It didn't look like Martin or anyone had been in :? Dad lit the fire in the other room, as the stove doesn't seem to draw much, but the chimney was blocked through there, so it got rather smoky and we ended up moving the fire back through :roll:
Scoob and Fi turned up well before 9, and it was good to see them back. Andy managed to make 1/3 of a bottle of whisky disappear within half an hour before declaring he was heading back to his van at Moyle campsite :shock: It was a little worrying when he staggered off into the darkness, but returned 20 minutes later for his walking poles, and was doing just fine :)
One by one, the lure of the sleeping bag temped folk away until it was Just Dougie, Pat and me putting the world to rights. It had been such a fun day, I didn't want it to end, but nodding donkey syndrome hit and that was me :lol:
I awoke in the morning, and met Helen in the hall looking as white as a sheet and ready to go home - she had been terribly ill during the night :( so she headed off, shortly followed by Pat and Paul. Mum and Dad didn't seem to be hanging around either, so we packed and cleaned up after some more chatting with Scoob and Fi. They had parked at moyle, but Mum, Dad, Dougie and I walked the track out to Balvraid in sunshine - it seemingly being a lot shorter with the substantially lighter load.
I want to thank everyone who came along for their good company. I was a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, but it really was a top weekend thanks to you guys :clap:
And well done to Mum for making it :wink:
Last edited by basscadet on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Rounding off the big journey

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:02 am

Congratulations basscadet. What a fantastic celebration of a fantastic achievement - it made a really good read. Now for the Corbetts perhaps? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:36 am

Congratulations basscadet, quite a feat :clap: :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:33 am

Congratulations basscadet! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby onsen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:27 am

Congratulations Basscadet....what a lovely way to celebrate the occasion. :wink:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:35 am

Congratulations 8) . I think including a bothy in the celebrations adds to the weekend a bit :D . It's a good route from the north - shame you didn't see much.
basscadet wrote: We passed a couple who had come up from Arnisdale who looked awful miserable in the wet clag. I shouted to them that it was my last munro and found myself flailing my poles around like an idiot.. I was maybe feeling a little bit squiffy

:lol: Reminds me of a friend's last Munro above Achnashellach. After a load of bubbly, some of us decided to carry on to the next Munro (Beinn Liath Mhor) while a bit the worse for wear. I remember getting lost and staggering round some rather large crags, giggling a bit :D

Pressure's off now - you can go where you want (or herd Dougie round the rest of his Munros :wink: ).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby robertphillips » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:49 am

Well done what a great hill to finish on. :clap: :clap: :clap:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am

Well done! I fear this is one goal I will only make in my dreams, or in the next life...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sunny Speyside » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:15 am

Congratulations Seana, sounds like you had a fun day. There may be no more new Munros for you but I am sure you will find some interesting new routes on the old favourites.
Cheers
Evie
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Congratulations, its sounds like a fantastic way to end your (first? ;) ) round, with friends and family on a fabulous hill.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby trekker53 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Well done Seana on your compleation. Looks like you all had a great time. Bothy nights can be fun.
Would have liked to join you but had other engagement.
Still we'll see you both at Aultguish.

Still a few bunks left if you can get some others to come.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Fantastic compeation, BC. So glad you had a great day as I often thought how you were getting on when the cloudbase hit about 50m here! As you said, though, you had so many adventures in the same conditions, it was appropriate to finish with a bang. A big congratulations to you. :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for the steepness - I think someday you need to do the short, sharp shock route up from Arnisdale! But of course you didn't see the drop from the top.

And whatever happened to Martin? I kept expecting he would show up in your narrative ....
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:51 pm

S'math a rinn thu a chaileag .... well done lassie :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Well done ! :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:22 pm

basscadet wrote: Andy managed to make 1/3 of a bottle of whisky disappear within half an hour before declaring he was heading back to his van at Moyle campsite

I can vouch for the training he'd got in in Torridon the previous week... and he innoculated himself with regular shots of Glenfaclas 105 cask strength.
Mind you, at this rate, if I ever do compleat, Andy will be the only one there, as he's the only one I've walked (staggered ...) with so far. Hoping that dismal record improves (no offence Andy), he's told me a lot about you guys...
Many congratulations, a great tale of an ending of an epic task. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland