walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Overcoming Obstacles on the Aonach Eagach

Overcoming Obstacles on the Aonach Eagach

by cmarcol » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 23/06/2015

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Overcoming Obstacles on the Aonach Eagach

Postby ancancha » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Well done for having the courage.
Me too someday, once I've lost 20 kilos of blubber and am a lot fitter :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby cmarcol » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 pm

2manyYorkies wrote:Many thanks, I really enjoyed reading that. I did the ridge twice in the summer and autumn of 1980, but would really like to have another go in my increasing dotage, so I think you may have inspired me to do just that! :clap: :clap:

Glad to have been of service :lol:

Silverhill wrote:Wow, well done both! 8)
Not sure if your pictures have encouraged me to do the ridge….

The pictures are quite misleading. Some bits look easier than they were because there is no sense of scale and some more dramatic than they were. It was only really the pinnacles which made me feel uncomfortable. I've not got much of a head for heights but I found I was concentrating so hard on the scrambling and finding a route that the exposure wasn't as noticeable as it would have been had it just been a ridge you could stride along :) Being with experienced people who had done the ridge multiple times definitely helped as well. Everyone is different but I was definitely someone who had the AE in a box which was never intended to be opened :shock: Glad I did it though.

ancancha wrote:Well done for having the courage.
Me too someday, once I've lost 20 kilos of blubber and am a lot fitter :lol:

My hill fitness has declined markedly recently so I think I lost a few pounds just by sweating :lol:
I hurt everywhere today :lol:
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:39 am

Great report and pictures, well done for overcoming your fear :clap:
I'm hoping I can be that brave when the time comes :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby cmarcol » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:43 pm

skuk007 wrote:Great report and pictures, well done for overcoming your fear :clap:
I'm hoping I can be that brave when the time comes :)

I didn't feel brave it just kind of happened ha ha. It surprised me every section! Even once we had done the hard bits I couldn't quite believe it looking back. Good luck :D
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby yellowone » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:25 pm

I enjoyed your report. The balance between achievement and safety is always difficult on the mountains you mentioned - specially as you get older. I don't mind a bit of scrambling but am aware of my big boots, my sticks and my rucksack being an impediment. And I feel much more awkward when I have to scramble downwards. You are dead right about easy scrabbling plus exposure making for difficult scrambling. I did the western Munro with the Pap last year and intend to do Meall Dearg from Loch Leven this year. But well done you.
yellowone
Munro compleatist

Munros:161   Corbetts:16

60 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland