walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A thornbush, Corrie Fee and big 70

A thornbush, Corrie Fee and big 70

Postby trederdog 100 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 23/06/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 825m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a good forecast and needing a break from trying to write up uni work, I decided to head for some close hills to Perth, my temporary home. Mayar and Dreish have often enticed me with their peculiar names and being on the mysterious east side of the plateau spreading from the Mounth.
20150623_121043.jpg
North ridge of Dreish from Glen Doll

I was not aware that these eastern hills had such craggy and lovely walk ins - the walk up to Corrie Fee was fine, through forestry plantation but then the surprise comes in leaving the trees and seeing Fee! A fantastic route to begin the walk up to the plateau, and definitely the most scenic part of the walk. Apparently, the sign told me, Corrie Fee holds the largest stand of mountain willow scrub in Scotland. There certainly was plenty of lovely Rowans and willows growing throughout the glen's crags and by the beautiful waterfall. Some were a great luminous grey-green shade.

20150623_125312.jpg
Corrie Fee

20150623_130144.jpg
Nice trees on the crags

There's a stairway going up the corrie, constructed with all the £2s walkers have been parted from, but certainly makes the way easy and stops an eroded slick.

20150623_130709.jpg
Stairs

20150623_130715.jpg
Back down to the corrie

The upper corrie is also pretty nice, and its good to see the plateau come to the sheer drops and glacial trenches that make these hills more than just bumps in the green.

20150623_134259.jpg
upper corrie with good light

I followed the incline to the top of Mayar, an easy ascent and the views were fantastic all around. A group of rowdy school children doing a 'munro challange' were at the top and I debated the hill names with the teachers for a while, with us all trying to decide what and where was Tom Buidhe. Lochnager looked great to the north.

20150623_140922.jpg
Dreish from Mayar

The kids set off and I took in the view, noting that there was more reckless track construction going on into the plateau, not long before a windfarm is plonked up there probably. Skirting the kids it was an easy walk to the bealach and Dreish reared a craggy north face up from Coirrie Kilbo. The path skirts the corrie and its better to stay next to the corrie edge to get the views and sense of height.

20150623_144940.jpg
Cliffs above Corrie Kilbo

The top was rounded and stony and the views east also atmospheric, as there was some clag coming in and the light was showing luminous on the hills the other side of Glen Clova. Dreish was my 70th and for some reason this number felt pretty important.

20150623_150808.jpg
Rocks covered in lichen

I met a few cheery folk on the way down, and chatted summits, views and boots - nothing like a bit of boot chat. The way down was interesting in my mesh trainers (fed up of baking feet in the warmer temps), but its a pretty straight forward path to a surprisingly green plantation.

20150623_161010.jpg
Looking down into Corrie Kilbo

20150623_164456.jpg
Green undergrowth in the plantation

Two great Munro's, up a lovely glen and pretty accessible - I'd say this would be a better route in for Tom Buidhe and Tolmont, so I'll probably head to those from this side at some point.

20150623_171417.jpg
View from back at the carpark
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Re: A thornbush, Corrie Fee and big 70

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Congrats on reaching 70 :clap: These are 2 bonny hills, they used to be my locals so the photos bring back happy memories, thanks :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby trederdog 100 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:48 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Congrats on reaching 70 :clap: These are 2 bonny hills, they used to be my locals so the photos bring back happy memories, thanks :D

Hi Huff_n_Puff, thanks and glad to bring back the memories! They are lovely hills, and a nice area to have on your doorstep, lots of tempting walks...
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Postby ancancha » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:09 am

Well done on reaching 70 :clap:
The Jock's Road in to tick off Tom Buidhe and Tolmount would be scenic.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland