walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hypothermia in Pap of GlenCoe

Hypothermia in Pap of GlenCoe

Postby Andrea Reis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 13/05/1997

Time taken: 3 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Many years ago I was backpacking around Scotland and decided to visit Glencoe. I'm from Brazil, but I love cold weather and mountains, and I was in love with Scotland! :wink: I was staying at the youth hostel and the guy from reception told me about to climb pap of Glencoe...he said it was an easy path, and I was able to do by myself. The next day I went for it...It was a very typical scottish day, cloudy, cold and with a fine drizzle... In the top of the mountain there was a very dark cloud, I actually could not see the top at all...but I was so naive and unskilled that I decided to see what was inside that cloud...so stupid! I wasn't wearing real waterproof clothes,I wore two pair of gloves but they weren't made with waterproof fabric...The weather was getting worse but I didn't notice, I was very excited climbing...only when I arrived in the top I realized that I was soaking wet...I took my gloves off I could see that some of my fingers were completely blue...It was so frightening, bt I could not go back anymore..I was inside the cloud in the middle of a horrible storm...the wind was so strong that I fell in the rocks few times...then I could note that my knees and elbows wasn't answering in a proper way. I could not flex them....It was very hard to stand up and walk...even breathing was getting difficult...I started yelling to God that I woudln't die there...travelling to Scotland was a dream to me and I could not allow myself to die in such conditions...I was really scared and mad with God, it was crazy!Suddenly, I saw, some meters from there, a guy, in the midle of the storm, stopped...I will never forget him...he was wearing a pink jacket with hood and there was a lovely sheep near his feet. I started shouting for help but he didn't notice me...I went downhill, hiting my knees in the rocks...when I reached him I could barely walk and speak...I just showed him my hand and said ' youth hostel'....He was a young man, with very fair skin with freckles, dark hair and blue eyes....calmly he said: "wow, you are dying...you have to go as fast as you can" and he showed me a path over there...I wasn't thinking actually, I just knew that I wanted to survive... I took that path and was going down when I fell in the ground. It was hard to stand up but I could hear the guy yelling; " You will be ok, go!" I stood up andwent on...few minutes later I fell again and I was almost giving up...I did'nt feel pain, I was feeling anesthetized...then I heard the boy shouting so loud : You will be ok, just go!!! I looked back, but I couldn't see him anymore, I was already out of the cloud...but his voice gave me faith to keep on...and I made it, thank God! When I arrived at the youth hostel the man from the reception looked me and said "Jesus, you have hypothermia"... my face was freezing, red and blue...he put me in a very hot shower, with all my clothes, and told me that I would start feeingl pain as I started defrosting...I don't know how long I spent there...my mind was somewhre else...when I was able to take my clothes off my legs and arms was completely red as if they were burnt....I spent all the rest of day in bed...but I was alive... Most of people , when I said what happened told me why on earth the guy did'nt went down with me, as he said I was dying and how I could hear his voice...after few days, I started thinking as most of the people: he was probably some an angel...he did'nt touch me, but he gave me faith, he showed me an easier way and made me believed I would be ok. His face and his voice are unforgettable to me. But I didn't ggive up to climb the scottish mountains... :crazy: few days later I bought appropriate clothes and shoes and climbed Thee Sisters with two friends that I met in the youth hostel...even with my knees sore, it was a wonderful day!!!
Andrea Reis

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland