walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black mount stobs

Black mount stobs

Postby roughwalker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 08/06/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1189m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This walk had been on my mind since a failed attempt last year when me and my mate came up and bombed miserably. My mate does everything at 100mph without exception, if it can't be done quickly, it's not worth doing,probably something to do with the fact he has 4 kids under the age of 10 :lol:
We had set off at his usual regimental pace and by the time we reached the point where the stalkers path cuts off from the main path he was struggling to keep up with the pace he was setting :lol: . He decided we should carry on up the main path and head up from the bealach (i wasn't going to argue,i kinda knew by that point the slightest thing going wrong would bring about a retreat back to the car).when we reached the bealach,a short burst of rain brought about the "thats it! i've had enough!!" I'd been waiting for and that was that :shock: :shock:
So this time i set off at a far more leisurely pace at around 10:30 determined to see a bit more of these mountains. I left the carpark and headed along the road and across victoria bridge and turned left shortly after, the track follows the river for a good bit before turning off just after the green hut.

The path from the hut was pretty wet and boggy in places, but posed no problem. It's only when you take the stalkers path up stob a'choire odhair that it starts to get steep, the zig zag path takes a bit of the sting out of it though.
This is where the views start to open out.

looking up towards the aonach eagach

looking southwest(ish)

It was a straight forward walk up to the summit, steep to start,a bit of huffing and puffing, but the gradient eases after a while and all the while stob ghabhar starts to look very impressive :D

On reaching the top there was a group of three having a break and admiring the views,a lady who was leading a couple of german guys,she said that she'd never seen the path up so wet and boggy.
They went on their way after 10 minutes,she was explaining the finery of "haggis neeps and tatties" as they left :D :shock:
This left me the summit to myself,the views all around were superb.

rannoch moor

bidean

After refuelling and taking in the views i set off down the hill towards stob ghabhar, it didn't take long to catch and pass the group from the summit,they were heading back down.
it didn't take that long to reach the base of the couloir butress which looked pretty steep,in fact coirein lochains walls are all impressively high and steep.

The path was pretty clear for most of the way,some sections of scree and some optional scrambling to spice it up a bit,but it wasn't quite as hard as i thought it was going to be. :)
On reaching the ridge the views opened out again,but my eyes were drawn to the ridge ahead,crossing it reminded me a bit of the cmd arete, (a very small bit) easy enough and alot of fun .

looking back to the ridge

the ben takes centre stage

the orchy hills and loch tulla

stob a'choire odhar

stob ghabhar summit

It was just a short pull up to the summit from here and again the views were stunning, the cloud was a bit thicker than it had been but there was still bits of bright sunshine lighting up parts of what were otherwise dark brooding mountains.visibility was excellent. :D :D

After quite a while on the summit i reluctantly headed back the way i came for a bit then followed the line of fence posts down,it was quite easy going til the waterfall where it steepened up quite a bit, there was a few tricky bits but nothing major. It really is an impressive series of waterfalls.

Reaching the bottom of the falls meant the last of any difficulties and it was the longish walk back to the carpark.
When i reached the track beside the river there was a dear eating the grass,getting the camera out it duly posed for a couple of shots :D :D

stopped at the bridge for one last photo

This was a great walk,stob ghabhar especially was alot of fun,and the views were stunning. :D :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

Munros:61   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:37   

Re: Black mount stobs

Postby jamesb63 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Will need to do these 2 soon myself ,I Know the ground very well
an old friend was the sheppard/stalker on Clashgour
and I spent many happy times there :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby roughwalker » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Will need to do these 2 soon myself ,I Know the ground very well
an old friend was the sheppard/stalker on Clashgour
and I spent many happy times there :D

Yeah,its a great walk in a great area :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

Postby Silverhill » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Two very fine hills with great views. Your pictures do them justice. And what a great shot of the deer! 8) I have got good memories of this trip, thanks for taking me back.
Assuming your mate still wants to do them, you could park one car at Victoria Bridge and a second car at the White Corries car park and also include Creise and Meall a’ Bhuiridh. It is a great traverse with more great views. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Wow.......that looked like a brilliant day and your pics are great.

Still to do these two, closest I've got was walking past on the West Highland Way. To be honest I had no plans to do these hills this year but that may change now.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 pm

A really wonderful place, if the weather's on your side (I was up on the same hills 3 days later than you). Looks like you took pics of the same fabulous views as I. We're truly the privileged ones :D

I smiled at your account of your first trip: I do everything solo these days, unless it's with my brother, for exactly the reason that you need to be pace/mojo compatible with someone else if you're not alone: either you have the embarrassment of slowing down someone much fitter than you are; or vice versa (and then the emotion is less socially acceptable than embarrassment :evil: ).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby roughwalker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Silverhill wrote:Two very fine hills with great views. Your pictures do them justice. And what a great shot of the deer! 8) I have got good memories of this trip, thanks for taking me back.
Assuming your mate still wants to do them, you could park one car at Victoria Bridge and a second car at the White Corries car park and also include Creise and Meall a’ Bhuiridh. It is a great traverse with more great views. :D

Thanks silverhill,getting my mate up one munro at the moment would be a major achievement let alone four :lol: :lol:

Gordie12 wrote:Wow.......that looked like a brilliant day and your pics are great.

Still to do these two, closest I've got was walking past on the West Highland Way. To be honest I had no plans to do these hills this year but that may change now.

Thanks gordie,it was a brilliant day,i would highly recommend these hills,especially stob ghabhar :D

Alteknacker wrote:A really wonderful place, if the weather's on your side (I was up on the same hills 3 days later than you). Looks like you took pics of the same fabulous views as I. We're truly the privileged ones :D

I smiled at your account of your first trip: I do everything solo these days, unless it's with my brother, for exactly the reason that you need to be pace/mojo compatible with someone else if you're not alone: either you have the embarrassment of slowing down someone much fitter than you are; or vice versa (and then the emotion is less socially acceptable than embarrassment :evil: ).

Thanks alteknacker,it is a wonderful place. I too do most walking myself,but have a group i go with occasionally, although i don't like slowing someone down or being hurried up the hill,i really don't mind waiting for slower people,just means you can take it all a bit more :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland