walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Dun and Maol Creag an Loch from Dalnacardoch

An Dun and Maol Creag an Loch from Dalnacardoch

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: An Dun, Maol Creag an Loch (A' Chaoirnich)

Date walked: 23/06/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Needed to squeeze another day out of my pass and there was a break in the weather due.
I'd been after these two for a while, so headed up the A9.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Managed to park up between the track entrance and the A9 verge. Unloaded the bike and started to crank up the glen towards Sronphadruig Lodge.
Seemed to get there in no time at all, so locked the bike to the fence at the entrance of the lodge.

Sronpadhruig lodge from the track.jpg
Sronphadruig Lodge from the track

Just as I was about to strike off from the track towards the ridge of M C an Loch a lycra-clad cyclist came along, so I stopped for a news. He was heading to Kingussie through Gaick & Glen Tromie, then back down the A9 cycle track. Hardy loon !
We said cheerio and I turned to the task of getting up on to the ridge via a grassy rake. At the top there was a reasonablr path all the way to the plateau hugging the top of the crags of Creag an loch. It was a fair walk over the top to get to the meagre cairn, disturbing some grazing deer on the way.

Summit plateau of Maol Creag an Lochan.jpg
Summit plateau of Maol Creag an Loch

Summit cairn of Maol Craig an Lochan.jpg
Summit cairn of Maol Creag an Loch

I headed down the S flank of the burn dropping down to the Alt Loch an Duin. It was pretty steep & I was glad it wasn't too wet. On the way down I spotted the stalkers path rising up the hill on the other side. For a moment I thought it went up An Dun, but no - my hopes were dashed, it wasn't An Dun. I crossed the burn by the bridge which had quite a bit of vegetation growing out of it, then headed for the quad track I spotted from M C an L.

Bridge across Alt Lochan and Dun. N of Loch an Duin.jpg
Bridge across Alt Lochan an Duin

It wasn't much help so I steeled myself for the pull up An Dun. Frequent stops to "view the scenery" eased the pain, but it went easier than I thought it would. Soon I was on the rocky blade that leads on to the summit plateau with a wee lochan trapped in it's oxter.

Loch Bhrodain from An Dun.jpg
Loch Bhrodain and An Dun's oxter lochan

The walk over the summit plateau was a stroll to a paltry cairn.

Un-inspiring summit cairn of An Dun.jpg
An Dun paltry summit cairn

However the view down the glen over Sronphadruig Lodge and Edendon water was tremendous.

Sronpadhruig Lodge from An Dun.jpg
Looking over Sronphadruig Lodge down Edendon Waters from An Dun

Another steep descent to the track and back to the lodge.
It's sad to see these fine lodges being left to decay - especially after the effort put into building them by the Victorians.

A wee rest then a scoot doon the glen to the car on the bike seemed to be over quickly.
This time it was a mealy pudding supper in Pilochry and then home by Kirkmichael, & Braemar to a welcome soak.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: An Dun and Maol Creag an Loch from Dalnacardoch

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Had my eye of these for a while Gordon, not got a bike yet but thought these would be a good intro for the dogs in terms of learning to trot along side a bike.
I'm Westhill too btw :thumbup:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:238   Corbetts:29
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ancancha » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:05 am

My thoughts as well.
Surely the lodges could be resurected as mini hostles.
Gelde too far gone now would be have been another :!:
ancancha
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Had my eye of these for a while Gordon, not got a bike yet but thought these would be a good intro for the dogs in terms of learning to trot along side a bike.
I'm Westhill too btw :thumbup:

Hi Beaner - your dogs would love the run out !
Have to confess that my bike is electric assist, which gets me up these long glens.
Need all the help I can get these days !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland