walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

oh well one was still worth it :O)

oh well one was still worth it :O)

Postby ancancha » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh

Date walked: 27/06/2015

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 42.8 km

Ascent: 1351m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn an Righ 20150628.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had high hopes to do Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor and Glas Tulaichean, but had work and a couple of other essentials to do in the morning and when I arrived at the parking spot a supermarket delivery driver pitched up to have his lunch, but decided to talk to me instead. Was an interesting chat, but hence I was setting out at about 4pm :!:
(there is an area at the beginning of the entrance road where the recycle and rubbish containers are stored, there's plenty of parking)

Excuses over :lol:
I pumped up the tyres on the bike as it looks like a good road and now I'm late I want to make fast progress. Harder tyres make it easier to push and go faster, down side is a reduction in comfort :(
It' a tarmac road for just over half way in, so minus the stopping to take photos progress is reasonable.

This could so easily be a report about bird sightings :!:
Just after the cycling through the farm a robin followed me for a while.

Shortly after the farm are the sheep pens, proper sheep pens these, with properly lots of sheep :lol:

Carn an Righ sheep station.jpg

As you can see a nice tarmac road. Made my way through the sheep and into the first dip where a small scale hydro plant is whirring electricity presumably directly to the grid as the feed will be Loch Crannach which has a small damn. Wonder how many MWH it generates in a year :?: You can just see the outflow bottom right.

Carn an Righ hydro.jpg

Onwards and inwards and a few of these thrush :?: are flying around

Carn an Righ thrush.jpg

sorry about the quality of the photos, I am trying to get to grips with photography, but animate objects don't tend to stay still for very long :(
Slightly further along and a heron moves from it's fishing spot on hearing or seeing me. By the time it lands it is way too far away to get a photo.
Round the next bend in the road and an eagle flaps off heavily onto a more distant rock and cries to me mockingly; stop bike > reach into side pocket of rucksack > get camera out > turn camera on > try to find subject with zoom > etc > nae chance :(

Over the bridge and the road isn't quite as pristine. Nice little chicane through the rocks and on the other side several camp sites and campers on the grassy flat.

Carn an Righ chicane.jpg

The road steepens and there are lots of waterfalls

Carn an Righ waterfall.jpg

and the scenery is improving with a first view of Carn nan Gabhar. It's impressive, will get more so and become one of the major attractions of the route.

Shortly after this and the next substantial sheep pens the road turns into a landrover track and climbs more steeply up to the pass at Carn an Sionniach and Cnapan Liath

Carn an Righ Cnapan Liath.jpg

almost there

Carn an Righ pass almost there.jpg

If I'd managed the complete intended route I would have come down the ridge from Glas Tulaichean to the pass here and back down the track to the start of the walk at the bridge.

From the pass the views of the entire eastern flank of Carn nan Gabhar

Carn an Righ Carn nan Gabhar eastern flank.jpg

and Carn nan Gabhar summit zoomed from the pass

Carn an Righ Carn nan Gabhar from pass.jpg

and a few metres later a first sight of Carn an Righ and a very big grin, fantastic :D

Carn an Righ first view.jpg

and equally fantastic in the opposite direction Carn nan Gabhar

The track dips into a gulley, across a bridge over a burn and at Cnapan Liath the view of Carn an Righ with Glas Tulaichean in the background

Carn an Righ Glas Tulaichean background.jpg

When planning the full walk I had considered coming off the ridge early and crossing upper Gleann Mor to traverse Carn an Righ; looked fine on Google Earth :lol: As you can see though it would have been very hard going over the drumlins and a rocky side of Carn an Righ.

The track drops steeply down to the bridge and waterfall where the Allt a'Ghlinne Bhig meets the Gleann Mor and where I intended to start up Carn an Righ. A relief to be going downhill, but also the knowledge that I would definitely be pushing back up again for much of it

Carn an Righ steep down path.jpg

Some nice views of the Cairngorms.
I was also still thinking, go with the flow you may still be able to do all three, even if you make it an all nighter and take your time, but in my heart I know I am only going to get Carn an Righ :(

I stopped to check out the waterfalls and deep gulley of Gleann Mor at serveral points before getting to the waterfalls at the bridge

Carn an Righ starting bridge waterfalls.jpg

It would be worth cycling this track just for the views and many waterfalls 8)

Found a place to hide the bike a little upstream, chained it up, sat on a hummock and had something to eat before making my way up

Carn an Righ assent.jpg

Initially there was a lot of aerobic heather hopping over the larger clumps, but nothing too drastic and I'd spotted a path up once it got to the first steeper assent. Plenty of frogs around

Carn an Righ frog.jpg

Got to the path and no evidence of boot prints, but plenty of hoof marks. Anyway it's a reasonable path and I make good progress. Decided to traverse inside the corrie rather than doing the full ridge taking in the cairn at Stac na h-lolair, probably worth the effort if I'd had time

Carn an Righ Stac na h-lolair.jpg

Another song bird darted around me on the way up, but as before, tantalisingly not quite close enough to get a decent photo for identification. plenty of nice alpine flowers as well.

The main attraction looks great, but also quite a steep final assent

Carn an Righ final assent.jpg

Got to the top of the ridge just below the summit and the wind is chilly. Put on gloves and woolly hat and on up

Carn an Righ top of ridge.jpg

Got to the summit and views all round.
To Carn nan Gabhar which is the dominant feature

Carn an Righ summit cairn.jpg

Glas Tulaichean

Carn an Righ Glas Tulaichean from summit.jpg

Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Carn an Righ Beinn Iutharn Mhor.jpg

The Cairngorms

Carn an Righ cairngorms.jpg

Decided to come down the other side of the corrie. It is steep and the rocks unstable in places.

Back to the bike, still there, phew :!:
Walking the fifteen kilometers or so back out of here wouldn't have been much fun :(

Carn an Righ bike.jpg

Very calm and pleasant in the shelter of the gulley by the river, but I could sense the midges yawning and waking up as well as the darkness that would soon set in. if I could get to the tarmac part of the road before twilight I wouldn't need to slow down or rely on the head torch :roll:
Unchained the bike, packed up and started the assent back out. hadn't gone far when a mountain hare zoomed up the drainage ditch beside the road while I was peddling away in low gear :evil: Still it was fun to watch 8)
Not long before I am off and pushing up the steep section just after the next bridge crossing.
How big and symmetrical do you like your drumlins :?:

Carn an Righ drumlin.jpg

Got to the pass and distributed three owls :?:
I know what the silhouettes of owls look like and also that they make no noise, but three :?: didn't think the worked as teams :?: Anyway they definitely looked like owls; perhaps they were eating frogs.

Got on to the steep decent and and winging it back down, the hard tires a bit jarring now :lol:
Disturbed some lapwings, they do make cries and there's no mistaking their particular flight pattern or silhouette.

A few groups of sheep tried racing me along, but they are no match in downhill mode :lol:
The midges are though, clouds of them at every bridge crossing. I must get a pair of those clear lens glasses :!: I found one still in my eye when I got home and in the shower :lol:

Got back the whole way without having to use headtorch; just :!:

Would really like to have been up early and taken my time to do the complete three Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor and Glas Tulaichean, but as I say even if you just cycle in you will see some spectacular scenery.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: oh well one was still worth it :O)

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:24 pm

that was a good read, enjoyed reading about the wildlife and seeing this hill from a different direction from usual
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: oh well one was still worth it :O)

Postby ancancha » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:35 pm

mrssanta wrote:that was a good read, enjoyed reading about the wildlife and seeing this hill from a different direction from usual

Thank you mrssanta, would have been a great way to get all three, but I really enjoyed what I got.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland